Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbuddu View Post
I would recommend online training against any formal education. Check udemy.com for targeted specific training which will cost around $10-40 per class for 30-40hrs depending. THis would easily cost $2k+ for instructor led training.
I agree with the online training - you can take many valid IT courses and certifications online. Companies like Amazon (AWS) and Cisco have fantastic networking reports and whitepapers that you can also use to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:39 PM

112 posts, read 166,362 times
Will obtaining certificates from udemy allow you to obtain a career/profession in cyber security? Will employers actually hire you with this type of training?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to this View Post
Will obtaining certificates from udemy allow you to obtain a career/profession in cyber security? Will employers actually hire you with this type of training?
I don't believe it will if you don't have the experience to match. Just read the postings on job boards of positions you think you might want to get a sense of the kind of certification that employers are looking for. I think for most support/admin type IT jobs A+ is the minimum. Certificates from MOOCs are only useful to folks already established in the industry who want to move up.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:59 PM

112 posts, read 166,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't believe it will if you don't have the experience to match. Just read the postings on job boards of positions you think you might want to get a sense of the kind of certification that employers are looking for. I think for most support/admin type IT jobs A+ is the minimum. Certificates from MOOCs are only useful to folks already established in the industry who want to move up.
Ok. Good to know. Right now I'm looking into a career in cyber security. Does anyone know of a good school for this program? Also is it possible to complete this program online?

Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 AM

6 posts, read 4,848 times
Thumbs up IT schools and Graphic Designing

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
Hello all, I am looking to expand my horizons and to also change careers. I'm currently a Graphic Designer whose been in the field for over 15 years and wanted to try something else. I am 41 at the moment, and I hope that I'm not too old or late to go back to school. I would like to ask the community for some advice on what the best choice for me is and how I would go about doing this. I'm in the Katy area now and would like to find a school or center that is close to me, one that is good and reputable. I have looked online and saw HCC offers IT courses that range from 2-9 months. How does the IT field work. I mean do you get some sort of degree after you successfully finish the course, or is it some type of certificate? I know some people get their bachelors degree in IT meaning it would take 4 years to finish. But that's too much time and I don't have a lot of it. I've heard and seen a lot of people going for these monthly IT courses and successfully finding jobs and they told me if I really am interested, that I should definitely look into it.

Any IT experts here who have followed the same or similar footsteps? I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advanced, any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
IT field is very broad, To start from scratch you need a lot of time and resources, Therefore, If I had to advise you, I would have recommended you to build upon the skills you already possess. Graphic designing also plays a vital role in the IT sector and, Since you already have designing experience it will more easy for you to get higher positions & salary.

Some of the job roles you can aim for are:

* Web Designer: You could learn programming/coding, front-end developing, etc. It won't take more than a year for you to master designing web pages with the right training

* Architecture & Engineering Drafter- Needs architecture education, but none the less you could use your designing skills and experience to create interior designs and be an interior designer. Autodesk AutoCAD is the software you can learn to pursue a career as an interior designer.

* Multimedia Designer/Content Designer and Publisher: You can try designing magazines, books, other publishing collaterals. You could learn Adobe InDesign for this option.

* Product Designer: You can learn Autodesk Inventor if you want to get into product designing.

You have other options too, But the ones I have mentioned will complement your experience and skills. You can check out the links given below to learn how can you learn these applications?, How can you make a career with them? etc.

Adobe
Autodesk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: