Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 PM

403 posts, read 462,588 times

Advertisements

We’re going in circles. Let’s please just move on from this. It takes a lot to fill the Barker reservoir, Harvey was the first time in history that it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I don’t understand cBach’s motives.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
.., and how often will a Harvey happen? It was a 1,000 year storm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
If that’s true, then how come this is the only time the neighborhoods mentioned have flooded? Harvey is the only storm that ever flooded those neighborhoods and Houston has never seen another storm like Harvey in its history. Both the storms you mentioned, dropped less than half the amount of rainfall as Harvey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
And the list was probably configured after all those events
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Seems the DeNial River is overflowing here.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-17-2018 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Edit: Specify triggers for my post.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm trying to save other people from getting flooded, especially senior citizens which might based their decision on this thread...

Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well maybe before Harvey but Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes both flooded heavily during Harvey due to the backup at the reservoir.
This is only part of the story. There was only a portion of Cinco Ranch that flooded. It wasn't ALL of Cinco Ranch. Cinco Ranch is almost like a city within itself because it is comprised of so many individual neighborhoods spread over several miles that make up Cinco Ranch. The flooding that happened in Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes was bad, but there were also several neighborhoods and homes under the 'Cinco Ranch' name that did not flood and did not even come close to flooding.

Quote:
I'm trying to save other people from getting flooded, especially senior citizens which might based their decision on this thread...
There are many parts of the Houston area where parts flooded and other parts did not. Anyone buying anywhere needs to do their own due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscards View Post
The traffic sure is hell though, that's for sure.
If you are a senior citizen, are you going to be driving in the worst of the traffic? The traffic isn't too bad if you avoid rush hour. You wouldn't need to go into downtown Houston for the most part. There is a lot to offer that is local.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It's obvious that those that compiled the information the OP's list is based on, reviewed all pertinent information, and either decided flooding wasn't an issue, or that other factors more than compensated for whatever flooding risk may be assumed by seniors when they move into these areas.

Florida has long been a retirement Mecca and they have flooding issues as well as even greater Hurricane issues as the Houston area , yet is still considered one of the best retirement destinations in the world as well as the US.
Quote:
Are you crashing the Florida and Louisiana forums warning of flooding and tropical storm risk in those regions ?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-17-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
So would you say that any of what I said wasn’t true? It was all facts.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You might want to go and start campaigning for drainage improvements for Houston rather than complain on a forum.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It's obvious that those that compiled the information the OP's list is based on, reviewed all pertinent information, and either decided flooding wasn't an issue, or that other factors more than compensated for whatever flooding risk may be assumed by seniors when they move into these areas.

Florida has long been a retirement Mecca and they have flooding issues as well as even greater Hurricane issues as the Houston area , yet is still considered one of the best retirement destinations in the world as well as the US.

Are you crashing the Florida and Louisiana forums warning of flooding and tropical storm risk in those regions ?
Actually I'm a regular poster on the Louisiana forums, go check it out.

I advise people on flooding by city and neighborhood all the time. But it's obvious you did this to make a wise crack at me instead of to research.

As far as Florida, Florida has building codes that are far better than Texas. For instance, south of Orlando all homes are cement block homes. Also, in low lying areas they are forced to elevate. I mentioned this on threads many times, but maybe you didn't see. I advise you to check my previous posts.

Okay, back to the thread.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Actually I'm a regular poster on the Louisiana forums, go check it out.

I advise people on flooding by city and neighborhood all the time. But it's obvious you did this to make a wise crack at me instead of to research.

As far as Florida, Florida has building codes that are far better than Texas. For instance, south of Orlando all homes are cement block homes. Also, in low lying areas they are forced to elevate. I mentioned this on threads many times, but maybe you didn't see. I advise you to check my previous posts.

Okay, back to the thread.

Your profile is restricted and I'm not going to sort through thousands of your post to pick fly s$%t out of black pepper. If you would like to provide links to specific post I will take those into account.

Fact is the OP's list was compiled after all these events you site took place and Katy was still recommended as the best place in Texas to retire. If you think there are better places in Texas to retire fine, but all you have done is attack Katy without any comparative analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston