Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't see anything wrong with homeless people using the library. They are pretty much the only people who can benefit from it. Most of us download books on kindles and stepping into a library is an unnecessary inconvenience. Without the homeless the downtown library would probably be empty.
I use the Kindle app on my phone all the time. I also have 3 books checked out from the library right now in dead tree format. Not all library books are available in Kindle format. I love going to the library, and always see families there. I go to the Downtown library when I am looking for a larger selection that is available in my closest branch. The homeless aren't an issue, because they know if they are disruptive, they will be asked to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 07:41 PM

344 posts, read 346,311 times
Seems like if the idea is to let stinky homeless people take over and drive away the library patrons who are there for reasons other than to bathe, pee, poop and sleep then we can just box up the books and call it a homeless shelter. Might save some money.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:36 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
Seems like if the idea is to let stinky homeless people take over and drive away the library patrons who are there for reasons other than to bathe, pee, poop and sleep then we can just box up the books and call it a homeless shelter. Might save some money.
The library is for all of us, not just the clean, non-homeless. If the patrons Downtown offend you, perhaps a branch library would be a better choice.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:48 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,022,267 times
It wasn't always this way. When I was in high school in the late 70s we'd go to the downtown library for research papers. I loved it!

I noticed over the years it's gotten worse....don't have an answer...

Old 09-01-2018, 02:40 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It wasn't always this way. When I was in high school in the late 70s we'd go to the downtown library for research papers. I loved it!

I noticed over the years it's gotten worse....don't have an answer...
The number of homeless people has increased greatly since then. Also, the library system has probably changed its rules to become more inclusive for all who use it.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:28 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,654 times
It's a tough dilemma. A lot of us who like the idea of supporting public libraries also share concern for people who are living on the street, for various reasons. To my mind, the dilemma is that public libraries were not set up to address the social problems that street people have. I think we need to separate those two social goals. It will mean spending more tax money, at least for some time. I think we should face up to that or the problem with just continue to get worse.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM

23,969 posts, read 15,069,127 times
My son worked at our local library years ago while he was a student. At that the libraries close to elementary schools were after school care/ The kids just came to the library until their moms picked them up.

He did have to scout the rest rooms for the sex instruction books every day.

Malcomb Gladwell provides an interesting discussion of homeless people in a chapter of the book "What the Dog Saw".

His take was that local governments could save a ton of money on services to the homeless if they would just get old motels and turn them into single occupancy rooms. That and putting a person insight to be sure they got the medication needed etc. The town that did it saved 50K a year per person. Many were ale to get jobs and live on their own. Our society doesn't have the will to do it.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Before complaining, one needs to do something about the issue, if that's even possible. If nothing can be done, shut the pie hole. Complaining here won't solve anything.

Maybe the offended library patron should be more focused on checking out the desired books and leaving, rather than hanging out at the library, gawking and scowling at the homeless.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My son worked at our local library years ago while he was a student. At that the libraries close to elementary schools were after school care/ The kids just came to the library until their moms picked them up.

He did have to scout the rest rooms for the sex instruction books every day.

Malcomb Gladwell provides an interesting discussion of homeless people in a chapter of the book "What the Dog Saw".

His take was that local governments could save a ton of money on services to the homeless if they would just get old motels and turn them into single occupancy rooms. That and putting a person insight to be sure they got the medication needed etc. The town that did it saved 50K a year per person. Many were ale to get jobs and live on their own. Our society doesn't have the will to do it.
Houston has several SROs. One of them is located at 45 north and 610.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Having to pay some additional taxes to METRO could help install a security force on the light rail.

Speaking of stuff, Mo City is a part of METRO. Why doesn't Sugar Land join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
My children have enjoyed riding the light rail downtown, this was generally done on weekends, and off times weekdays during the summer..... we used to ride it more frequently, but the prevalence of homeless, ticket-less passengers has increased to the point where we don't feel comfortable, after a scary incident last year when a man who was clearly under the influence of something started yelling at my 5 year old, we haven't been back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston