Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,362 times

Advertisements

Would a new, wood, privacy fence on one side only (all 3 bedrooms) necessarily be a selling point by which I could recoup the fence investment, or would it instead be a turn off and potentially lose me prospective buyers? I've been receiving tons of mail from as-is investors, so I wonder would they offer more, less or no different with the new fence in place? They will likely turn it into a rental, as most are around here now, and therefore won't care one way or the other about the fence, but I wonder whether bumping my price up to cover the fence cost would lose those potential buyers.

For those curious, the reason for the single-side fencing is the rental property next door on that side. I've lived in this house for over 50 years, the owner of that rental property has owned it for decades, and the renters get worse with each turnover. The other neighbors don't intentionally cause me trouble, so I don't feel the need for more than the existing chain-link fencing on those sides. The last tenants were neighbor-from-hell, drunk & drugged out, criminal trespassers who habitually abused my property during all-night parties with numerous friends and relatives. They only escalated their terrorism after I called the cops on them. They were finally evicted after a number of years.

These houses are very close together, and I don't want a repeat of that experience for the remainder of my stay here, no matter how short it may be. I've ordered new security lights and will get those up, hopefully before new people move in, and will likely install cameras as well (perhaps not if I put the fence up). I could have put security measures in place during the previous renters' stay, but I've no doubt they would have made good on their threats to stab me in the back, etc. (their relatives threatened to stab each other during one fight). At the very least, I'm sure they would have sabotaged my fence posts during the night while the concrete was curing.

I'm not going to bother discussing a "joint" fence with the rental property owner, for a number of reasons – one being that my new fence would extend well beyond the existing chain link fence border, to cover the entire side of my house and well into my front yard, up to the allowed street setback point, and there's no way he would agree to share in that additional cost. So, I'm going to almost certainly have to build on my side of the existing chain link fence. Yes, a new $urvey would be performed first.

I just need to know whether I'd be taking a big loss with the new fence. My peace of mind is worth something, but I'd like to put those multiple thousands of dollars into my new place instead of this old house that I'll be leaving behind in the not-too-distant future, especially since I won't be fixing it up. If I can be reasonably sure I'll recoup the investment with a higher selling price, I'll put up the fence.

TIA,
Gus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Set aside the cost of the actual fence as I don't think anyone can reasonably answer whether you will recoup the cost (too many other variables, like the price range of the house, quality of house and neighborhood, what the standard is in the area, etc.). However, from a buyer's perspective, will they value a privacy fence on just one side? Or will it send up a red flag that there is a problem with those neighbors? It will be very obvious since the fencing isn't consistent on all sides.

It sounds like a bad circumstance either way. Will those renters try and mess with your house while it is on the market?

Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Hi.

I guess it could go either way. Prospective buyers who intend to live here may assume there's a problem – which the fence itself would eliminate – or they may simply appreciate the idea of privacy while in the bedrooms, so they can leave their blinds/windows open. Buyers who intend to rent it probably won't care either way.

The other neighbors' homes are far enough away that they can't really see in the rear windows, unless they're creeps and decide to use binoculars/telescopes; that's only in back. There would be one smallish rear bedroom window that isn't completely blocked from view, and a front bedroom window that isn't blocked (street side). It's a garden-variety postage stamp lot. The front faces the the street, ordinance of course prohibits a privacy fence there, and the 4th side is a brick wall (garage).

A few homes in the neighborhood have privacy fences, but most don't. They were built in the early 50's to early 60's.

Mine is apparently an early "model" home, and is about the only one around here that doesn't have a cracked foundation (we did have it leveled, though, with Olshan's cable lock system, because there was some tilting).

The latest nightmare renters are gone. I have no idea who will live over there next. They could be decent people or criminal trash like the ones that just left, maybe their relatives or friends! Who knows..
At any rate, I won't sell until I have most everything moved to my new place, when I purchase it, and I won't move out until mine is sold, so I'll be here to guard it.

The last of the "original" residents on my street, other than myself, passed away recently. By original, I mean those that lived here as long as, or longer than, I have. That family's house, just across the street from mine, sold quickly, and they hadn't fixed it up.

I may have to take less than an ideal amount, but I shouldn't have trouble selling. I'm just wondering how low I'll have to go, and whether I'll have to take a [perceived, at least] loss on the fence. I expected appraised value or maybe a bit less not long ago, but for some reason prices in this area have jumped significantly recently, so it's a good time to get out.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 AM

158 posts, read 181,810 times
I honestly don't think you'll get your money back on the fence. Especially if only doing one of the runs.

This is especially true if you're selling to one of the "as-is" buyers. And honestly, if you're going to sell to them, don't build a fence to try to get a couple of extra thousand. Just ask them, as time is money for them.

However, if you want to sell it to regular buyers (or at least list it), a privacy fence could help move it faster. Potential buyers would know at least that one less thing they need to do.

I think the end game is basically - do YOU want a fence there? It sounds like you won't be moving for a little bit, and you might want it anyway. If possible, I wouldn't focus on the money end for your own piece of mind.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
What is the estimated cost of the fence?
Just do it for yourself if you really need it, but don't count on prospective buyers: they might deem it important, but might not. In real estate purchase there are many factors involved, and fence is definitely not a No1 factor. Also I would not consider it suspicious to have a new fence only on one side, there could be different reasons, so I don't think it would deter buyers. But probably won't add much value either.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Seems like a Sharpstown to me.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I think the end game is basically - do YOU want a fence there? It sounds like you won't be moving for a little bit, and you might want it anyway. If possible, I wouldn't focus on the money end for your own piece of mind.
I'm positive that I'm pretty certain I probably want a fence there.

But, I also need those thou$and$ to go toward the new place, so I can't ignore the cost and just dive in.
Of course, not having a fence is virtually an invitation to trespass, as was demonstrated more than adequately by the previous renters.

Because of the type of people this guy rents to, I also keep in the back of my mind various problems that may/will come with having the fence, which I'll have to deal with for the remainder of my stay. They might hang stuff on/over it, then I'll have to get into arguments. They may abuse it by screwing in hooks to hang things on, intentionally try to cause premature rot by leaving a hose on it, use it to practice knife throwing, shoot pellet guns into it, etc. Btw, yes, the previous renters also enjoyed shooting BB guns, with all neighboring properties having no protection via chain link fences! Idiots. I'm lucky my windows weren't destroyed (or myself shot). Cops do nothing here until someone is bleeding out, and even then they'd probably just give the attackers a stern warning.

I would use ring shank nails, since screws would be like advertising vulnerability to the [probable] new vandals. I believe code here requires the "pretty" side to face the neighbors – besides, putting the rail side out would only encourage climbing. Climbing kids could be a problem anyway, with the old chain link left in place.
Also, building inside the existing chain link fence, meaning it would be left in place, I'd have to leave room between that and my new fence to maintain/paint the new fence (assuming I'm not moved out in several months) and somehow get rid of weeds/grass (I could use chemicals, but if that damaged their grass, I'd hear about it, and I don't care to hear from or see the owner or his tenants.. at all, ever).
Despite that, I'm not letting that property owner remove the chain link fence so he can try to claim the other side of my privacy fence as "his" w/o paying me. It's because of him not screening his renters that I need the new fence, so if I have to eat cost, it seems only fair that he should, too.

Then there's the noise factor – e.g., kids throwing balls into it, driving me out of my mind. This fence could end up creating more noise than it blocks, even if I were to use MLV on my side of it. I certainly don't want to install an all new source of stress.

It may keep their bodies and empty booze bottles & cans (AND canned FOOD, yes they dumped that into my yard) out of my space, but there are numerous potential drawbacks as well.

A brick/concrete wall would be far too costly, even though it would no doubt block tons more noise. That's one thing I need the money to go toward: I'm turning my new place, which will have acreage, into an absolute fortress.
This last bunch loved to play their stereo super loud, and the drunker they got, the louder it got. The neighbors behind me came out and complained to them, so you can imagine how loud it was 15 feet away from their patio with my paper thin windows.

It's like these guys read a manual on how to abuse neighbors and were going down the list, doing every suggestion.

There's something else to consider: new people haven't moved in. The owner is still coming over just about every day to do some kind of work on it. One time, we got about 6 months free of renters. It's possible I could get moved out before he secures new renters. It would kill me to have spent thousands on fencing AFTER already suffering the previous renters and BEFORE needing it for the new ones, unless I can recoup that money.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
What is the estimated cost of the fence?

When I had one company walk it off a few years ago, they said a 100 foot single run 6' high would cost several thousand bucks. That's on top of the survey cost, of course. They never came back with a written estimate, so I guess the job was too small for them. I wouldn't deal with that company anyway. The owner called me after his guys left and he didn't even know they had shown up, asking me when I wanted them to come out. d'oh!
He also kept calling my fence project a "gate", like he thought I wanted just a GATE installed. They're a big outfit, but not very professional.

We are allowed up to 8' height here, which is tempting, but that would be much more expensive. A 6' with 6" rot board could probably block the view from most people, but some of the party animals who showed up over there were tall guys, like basketball center height, and they could have easily peered over.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
If you don’t mind me asking what area is this property located in

East of Houston, still in Harris County

Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Boeman View Post
When I had one company walk it off a few years ago, they said a 100 foot single run 6' high would cost several thousand bucks. That's on top of the survey cost, of course. They never came back with a written estimate, so I guess the job was too small for them. I wouldn't deal with that company anyway. The owner called me after his guys left and he didn't even know they had shown up, asking me when I wanted them to come out. d'oh!
He also kept calling my fence project a "gate", like he thought I wanted just a GATE installed. They're a big outfit, but not very professional.

We are allowed up to 8' height here, which is tempting, but that would be much more expensive. A 6' with 6" rot board could probably block the view from most people, but some of the party animals who showed up over there were tall guys, like basketball center height, and they could have easily peered over.
6 ft tall fence with a rot board and posts, all cemented + gate would cost $2000-2500.
I know someone who just recently did the same project for this price on other side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston