Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM

60 posts, read 71,239 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My neighbor recently pruned their large Oak tree and it seems the squirrels are trying to relocate their nest to my attic. They chewed through my wood siding where it meets the brick and I recently saw one squeeze through the hole. I can hear gnawing and scraping sounds coming from overhead and it's freaking me out. Pest control companies charge a LOT to remove them. So, I have watched a half a dozen Youtube videos on how to deal with the situation, but everyone has a different "technique" for getting rid of them. Anyone here had to deal with H-town squirrels and had success? Thanks in advance for your tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM

344 posts, read 346,735 times
Traps won't work. Poison won't work. You must plug the holes so they can't get in. During it during the morning when they are out foraging and make sure there aren't babies inside the attic!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
I have dealt with this.

Do not immediately plug any holes. Even if you suspect all squirrels may have left for the day. Don't take a change on trapping one up there. The smell will make you want to burn your house down. What you need to do is get some Bird Gone or other reputable bird gel and apply it to the area where the squirrels enter your attic. Put some in the hole as well as any area they may step on or contact while trying to enter said hole(s). Apparently squirrels hate getting sticky and let me tell you, this stuff is sticky! Be careful not to get it all over the place. The squirrels will either come in contact with it and spend all day cleaning themselves to the point where they won't come back. Or they will detect it before re-entering your attic and will avoid the place like the plague.
Since they make so much noise it should be pretty obvious when they are gone for good. That is when you can seal the holes.

Don't worry it won't cause the squirrels to stick to your house and die there. This was recommended by our neighborhood pest control guys.
Good luck

Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I had the issue a few years ago. First, I tried trapping them (I used either apple or peanut butter as bait ... can't remember which) using a cage trap. I managed to get several of the little critters, took them outside, and released them. They were back in the attic before I could get back in the house myself. You have to relocate them or they'll go right back in.

After I finally got them out, I had a handyman guy (my roof is a 12/12 ... too steep for me) to seal the hole with some aluminum roll flashing that I bought at Home Depot. They chewed right through that, so I had to trap them again. Then I got a sheet of stainless steel, and that worked. Apparently that's too tough for them to chew through. The entry area was where the roof for the garage drops down about a foot below the main roof for the house, at the end of the fascia board.

Just a note: Squirrels in your attic can be dangerous. There was a house burned to the ground in my neighborhood a few years ago, and it was reportedly caused by squirrels chewing through electrical wires.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
We have not had squirrels in the attic, but we have had raccoons. Rather, one mama raccoon with a litter. Our exterminator put us in contact with a fellow who knew how to get the mama to move.

He scattered tennis balls soaked in male raccoon urine throughout the attic.

Male raccoons attack the young. The mama, sensing a male in the area and wanting to protect her litter, moved them out immediately.

I sealed her access points behind her. We've had no problem since.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
True. They also can fall down into walls. Had one in my dining room wall and after 2 days I knew the little guy couldn't get out so I cut into the wall, put on a pair of those thick rubber gloves that go up your arm and pulled him out. After taking a few selfies with the heathen I put him outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Just a note: Squirrels in your attic can be dangerous. There was a house burned to the ground in my neighborhood a few years ago, and it was reportedly caused by squirrels chewing through electrical wires.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:28 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
I did what Snackdog did. Kinda. I put a chair outside where I could see the hole from a distance. I had the thin sheet metal made ahead of time. When the squirrel came out I rushed over and covered the hole. The squirrel went next door. The neighbor blamed me. Too bad so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston