Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,591 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are moving to Houston area. Any suggestions of a good public kindergarten school offering half day? Also, we are Asians so where is the Chinatown in Houston area? What places do you recommend to live for a family with kids? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 PM

102 posts, read 159,186 times
There are two major Chinatown commercial areas. Bellaire and Beltway 8 and Sugarland near Highway 6/Settlers Way.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
Kindergarten is the new first grade. I can’t think of a public school around that doesn’t have full day kindergarten. Is there a reason why you insist on half day? Some daycares and church preschools offer Pre-K for 5 year olds who aren’t ready for school. But those aren’t public, as you requested.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
HISD also has a mandarin immersion magnet school in Uptown. The neighborhood is saint george place.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 PM

422 posts, read 542,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyes68 View Post
Hello! My family and I are moving to Houston area. Any suggestions of a good public kindergarten school offering half day? Also, we are Asians so where is the Chinatown in Houston area? What places do you recommend to live for a family with kids? Thank you so much!
Why would you post in the Dallas forum the exact same thing? So are you moving to Houston or Dallas? And do you know they are separate cities?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 PM

20 posts, read 60,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamj View Post
There are two major Chinatown commercial areas. Bellaire and Beltway 8 and Sugarland near Highway 6/Settlers Way.
There is also Katy’s Asia Town, which has grown tremendously. It’s just north of I-10 west and Grand Parkway.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 PM

243 posts, read 268,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamj View Post
That area in sugar land isn’t a real china town, it’s pretty mediocre actually. Katy has a much better China town

There is only one real Chinatown and that’s in Alief near Bellaire and and Beltway 8.

If you want to live close to Asians I would suggest looking at homes in 77072, 77036, and 77074. Basically southwest Houston around Alief and Sharpstown. You want to be as close to Bellaire Boulevard as possible.

The rich Asians live in Katy and sugar land, move there if you can afford the high property taxes and house price

Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM

171 posts, read 246,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
The rich Asians live in Katy and sugar land, move there if you can afford the high property taxes and house price
I am not a "rich" Asian, but I have a few stacks, and this is news to me. As far as I know, the rich Asians live where other rich people live (Memorial, West U, maybe RO?). Katy and Sugar land have some rich Asians, a lot of average income Asians, and a lot of multiple generations under one roof in order to buy a larger house, but they are certainly more wide spread than just Katy and SL.

OP is coming from Chi, so they may have some money. OTOH, they are looking for public school, so they may have average income. No talk of budget, so who knows.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
There aren't really ethnic enclaves in the Houston area. These "Chinatowns" mentioned here are really more like Asia-centric commercial districts, and "Chinatown" is really a misnomer as they're not strictly Chinese but just as likely to be Filipino or Vietnamese.

This isn't to say that there aren't Asians who live near there, but generally they're scattered around like everyone else. This is increasingly true in Chicago too, especially moreso as gentrification has made/is making the ethnic enclaves of old more historical constructs than indicators of who lives there in 2019. You live wherever you can afford and/or like to live, no matter who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston