Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:13 PM

399 posts, read 641,504 times

Advertisements

While Houston in general does have a lower cost of living. Close in homes and land are quite high which lots alone going for 550K plus. Also have you looked into the cost of private schools? Many are $20K plus per kid so you are looking at $60K post tax money. Just something to keep in mind as you weigh your options. I think the idea of Meyerland/Bellaire are is great with good public school options. Know a handful of families who live in Royal Oaks and it is nice once you are in the community but all send their kids to private. Best of Luck with you search and move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Some very pretty streets in Bellaire, Braburn is one of my favorites you can check it out on streetview https://goo.gl/maps/J4tKcVMtmRfcwv6z8

Old 06-16-2019, 04:35 PM

154 posts, read 149,044 times
Just to avoid confusion if you should decide to consider Sugar Land: someone above mentioned "Sugar Land ISD" schools. There is no such district. Sugar Land schools are in Fort Bend ISD.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
One point for moving to Sugar Land, you can get the home of your dreams on that budget, or even a little less and pocket that money to pay the high property taxes we have in Texas.

Another point, great public schools, and at least one parent is nearby (the one working in Sugar Land). So anytime there’s a mid day special event at school, or your kid gets sick, or your kid wants to do dance lessons after school, there is one parent close by (and not hampered by bad traffic)

As a parent, I like the idea of living close to one of the jobs rather than midway between both jobs. Rather than both parents fighting traffic and tolls...
This is actually a great idea -- can't believe we hadn't thought about it before! Will definitely look more at Sugar Land. Though from our research over the past couple days, the consensus around FBISD schools seems to be that they are hyper competitive?

Can anyone with kids in these schools provide some insight on that? Competition is good, surely, but so is a nurturing environment. The Fort Bend ISD 'ethnicity report' also shows a very high proportion of Asians in most schools (and as someone who is Asian myself, I can attest that a higher % of us usually equals more pressure )

Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtxfamily View Post
This is actually a great idea -- can't believe we hadn't thought about it before! Will definitely look more at Sugar Land. Though from our research over the past couple days, the consensus around FBISD schools seems to be that they are hyper competitive?

Can anyone with kids in these schools provide some insight on that? Competition is good, surely, but so is a nurturing environment. The Fort Bend ISD 'ethnicity report' also shows a very high proportion of Asians in most schools (and as someone who is Asian myself, I can attest that a higher % of us usually equals more pressure )
I’m in Katy and have raised my kids in these super competitive schools. I have a recent graduate and 2 currently in high school.

You don’t have to play the competitive rat race if you don’t want to. There are PLENTY of kids like mine who don’t. These schools have like 3000 students, so there’s a space for everyone. My kids and their friends have their extracurricular activities, part time jobs, time for friends. They aren’t going to Harvard but they don’t want to, either. My graduate is currently going to a private LAC perfectly matched for her degree with a very generous merit aid scholarship, after graduating with a paltry 3.5gpa. Took a few AP courses, never took an AP exam. My current high schoolers are also doing well... and not making themselves sick in GPA competitions.

Just re-read your post, your kids are ages 4-9. You’re fine on the competition front. Really. Plenty of kids just being kids.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
I’m in Katy and have raised my kids in these super competitive schools. I have a recent graduate and 2 currently in high school.

You don’t have to play the competitive rat race if you don’t want to. There are PLENTY of kids like mine who don’t. These schools have like 3000 students, so there’s a space for everyone. My kids and their friends have their extracurricular activities, part time jobs, time for friends. They aren’t going to Harvard but they don’t want to, either. My graduate is currently going to a private LAC perfectly matched for her degree with a very generous merit aid scholarship, after graduating with a paltry 3.5gpa. Took a few AP courses, never took an AP exam. My current high schoolers are also doing well... and not making themselves sick in GPA competitions.

Just re-read your post, your kids are ages 4-9. You’re fine on the competition front. Really. Plenty of kids just being kids.
My high schooler is interested in liberal arts colleges. I assume that is what LAC means in your post. May I ask which one your child is attending?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 AM

32 posts, read 42,539 times
To be specific, there are a lot of smart kids in fort bend, but to target racial intelligence makes you (the OP) less likely to like Houston. Houston, especially Sugar Land, is one of the most diverse cities with people of all backgrounds. In California, there are way more segregated communities especially in the Bay Area. You'll have to get used to having ALL kids being competitive and not be so bothered by the race or intelligence level of children.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
Low COL is subjective. No offense but Houston use to have a real "low COL" before transplants from both coasts like yourself came with the 750-1mil budgets cashing out on those 2000sq ft $4000 a month 2 bedroom rent.

Prices have gone up tremedulous because you all have wiggle room so now the most basic box, no upgrades, carpet city, white applicances, etc., tract house can go for $300k now because you all think you're getting a "deal" while us natives see the ripoff nature of the real estate beast.

That is upper class, rich COL for regular Houstonians to tell you the truth. People have their own views on what is "rich" but IMO many posters here are in fact that. If you didn't like in West U and drive luxury cars and just lives in Spring or TW or simple SL and drove an Expedition and Camery and sent your kids to regular public schools and not ROBS or Kinkaird, etc then you would be rich. But most will tell you they're regular middle class...but you have to factor in the expenses you have. Takeaway that Loop mortage and the private school tutiton and you are in fact quite rich to weatlthy.

Sugar Land is your best bet OP. Just look on www.har.com. It does have a very high Asian population but it's concentrated at a few schools not every single one.

Look away from those and you'll find what you want. I believe Austin and Clements High Schools are the Asian high ones so avoid elementary schools that feed into those two which is a lot.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM

59 posts, read 57,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Low COL is subjective. No offense but Houston use to have a real "low COL" before transplants from both coasts like yourself came with the 750-1mil budgets cashing out on those 2000sq ft $4000 a month 2 bedroom rent.

Prices have gone up tremedulous because you all have wiggle room so now the most basic box, no upgrades, carpet city, white applicances, etc., tract house can go for $300k now because you all think you're getting a "deal" while us natives see the ripoff nature of the real estate beast.

Houston has lost its low COL status in the middle part of this decade after millennial transplants started pouring in the city.

Real Estate was really cheap everywhere in Houston up until 2014 when the prices started skyrocketing. Prices are still increasing since then.

I can still remember when move-in ready 4+ bedroom houses inside the energy corridor were selling under 200k

They really have made it more difficult for native houstonians to buy houses in their favorite areas it’s unfair but nothing you can do about it at this point.

Last edited by Cska; 06-23-2019 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 PM

388 posts, read 548,806 times
Add in college planning, higher income leaves you on the hook for full pay, It is very possible that by the time your oldest starts college you are looking at 150K each plus even for standard instate schools (OOS schools, privates etc, maybe 250K plus). If your kids are smart enough to garner merit $$$ at a good uni, they would have been smart enough to hold their own in rigorous state schools. Also every school in Texas is competitive according to modern lore, basically private schools are just where you pay for that privilege. Nurturing is what happens at home IMO. The point being, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, if paying for private schools means you have no college savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston