Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,892,098 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in Champion Forest Villas or nearby? There are some gorgeous patio homes for sale that I've found online. What I'm seeing in the photos would sell for twice the amount in Austin, and in marginal neighborhoods.

Any problems in the Champions area? Using Streetview, it looks like a lot of very nice neighborhoods, some fairly old but some new, with plenty of trees.

I'd like to locate in that general area, or between there and Cypress.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 04:35 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,575,354 times
The Champions area is an affluent area in NW Houston, it's next to Willowbrook. Matter of fact, the area between there and Cypress is all affluent NW Houston, so you would be able to choose among the many neighborhoods in that area . Best thing is that you're close to 249 and FM 1960.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 AM

24,057 posts, read 15,168,475 times
Check for flooding. They are close to the creek. Much of Champion Forest south of Cypress Creek was under water for days during Harvey.

I lived over 20 years in a subdivision between Strack Road and the Creek. The house we sold was 1 house away from being flooded. The water was in the low spots from the Creek to North side of Norborne. That Kroger shopping center on Champion Forest was flooded as was the one on the north side of Cypresswood drive @ 249

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,543,811 times
Yes I know someone from my company who got flooded pretty bad two years ago. He had about 5 ft of water in his house and lost two cars in addition to the home damage.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,826,605 times
Middle to upper middle class is hardly all ‘affluent’, but I suppose it’s all perspective depending on where you’re from. If you grow up in Acres Homes, then the average middle to upper middle class suburban area may seem affluent to you.

This is a nice, albeit aging area (as long as you live far enough north of fm 1960). The main problem is the risk of worsening flooding. All the development further up along Cypress Creek out in Cypress or Walker/Hockley is at a fever pitch as homes are selling left and right and newer neighborhoods even further out along the creek keep getting announced every few years or so. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that there’s a very high probability the flooding gets worse than it already has gotten today.

There’s currently a huge patch of marshland along the creek just before it crosses 290 that regularly fills up and retains huge pools of collecting water which probably drastically alleviates flooding just downstream. The only problem is the Towne Lake community owns this patch of land, and although they plan to make a small portion of it dedicated to extending and connecting to Black Horse Ranch’s existing golf course along the creek and making another stretch of land a big park which will be made to flood, most of this land will be slated to be turned into a sea of concrete as there are plans for it to become a copy of Vintage Park for Cypress (sw corner of greenhouse rd @ mound rd) as well as a couple of small office buildings along the freeway (nw & ne corners of greenhouse rd @ mound rd). The large park in question should be along the se corner of the intersection mentioned above. Now this is undoubtedly great news for Cypress residents’ quality of life and could even mean that home values in the immediate vicinity could actually rise if it does well enough, but it also bode very poorly for those downstream during the next major flooding event. Once this patch of land has been dredged and filled with dirt & concrete, there will be no undeveloped patches left along the creek east of 99. Of course, this still isn’t the end of the story as development will continue for Bridgeland and several other neighborhoods to come west of 99 along Cypress Creek.

Last edited by curbur; 08-09-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Thanks to all for the info.

Anyone know of a map or database that indicates which properties flooded? I've noticed that real estate sites often don't mention whether a property flooded. I don't even want to look at such a property. And I definitely don't want to be near as creek or bayou (if that's possible in the Houston region).

Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 PM

24,057 posts, read 15,168,475 times
A new map is on the way. November IIRC.

I know much of Champion Forest subdivision south of the creek flooded. The houses closer to Strack did not. Norborne did not.

The houses at the end of the streets, down by the cul de sacs in Woods 2 up to Rothchilde. If you can see where the streets drop off 2 feet within a block, think flood. I'd stay south of Strack for damn sure.

curbur is right. Who knows what they are gonna build upstream. Even if detention, retention ponds are required, it won't be enough. None of that residential area ever flooded before, but the county does not protect those who have been there 25 years.

The rule when we sold and bought was to get the county watershed maps and get on the perimeter. We hoped that indicated the highest ground.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 PM

Thank you Crone. I'll check things out carefully. Your information is very helpful.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:17 AM

13 posts, read 11,569 times
You can use this map to see the flood zones (if you don't already know about it):

https://www.harriscountyfemt.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston