Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 PM

134 posts, read 326,296 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the planned stadium for the Dynamos? I thought the plan was to build the stadium across 59 on the east side of downtown. But today I heard that the league is basically getting angry at the city because of the delays in building the stadium. I guess the city promised to build the stadium when the team moved from San Jose.

Anyway, just interested if anyone has heard anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,984 times
My city is moving very slow on buying the land and the MLS commissioner called them out yesterday. The deal should definitely be further along at this point.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
I was watching the news some time ago, and I heard that an old mall was going to be demolished and they were going to build the stadium there.
Is that a fact or what?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I was watching the news some time ago, and I heard that an old mall was going to be demolished and they were going to build the stadium there.
Is that a fact or what?
My understanding is that the stadium was planned on what is now a giant parking lot north of the Lofts at the Ballpark. I think that would be a great place for it; hate all the surface lots downtown.

But, it sounds like the original plans are up in the air. Thanks for the update!

I'm not much of an MLS fan. I follow the Premier League and European football. But I have been to some games and I want to support the development of the sport here in the states. Hope the Dynamos stadium is up and running soon.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
The team owners have apparently changed their blueprints about construction and upped the price by 40 million dollars. They want the city to contribute even more money to the construction and Mayor White is balking rightfully. Personally, I think that if you want a stadium, you should finance it yourself. I'm tired of paying for other people to earn millions when the tax money should go to improving the horrible streets and sewer system problems as well as other infrastructure issues that are on the back burner because of this.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
The team owners have apparently changed their blueprints about construction and upped the price by 40 million dollars. They want the city to contribute even more money to the construction and Mayor White is balking rightfully. Personally, I think that if you want a stadium, you should finance it yourself. I'm tired of paying for other people to earn millions when the tax money should go to improving the horrible streets and sewer system problems as well as other infrastructure issues that are on the back burner because of this.

Interesting, I did a little research and didn't read anything about the change in blueprints. Most of the blame seemed to be placed on the general rise of commodities. But, I may have missed something.

On your larger point, I see the argument but unfortunately, it's one of the "free market" arguments that works well in economics class but not as well in the real world. I see it comparable to a park or public transit. Subsidies are required, of course finding the right balance is the difficult part. The city can also use it to help revitalize the area surrounding the stadium, a process already underway after the baseball park was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston