Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I just drove around the place but with all the signs and hype I did't see anything but about 10 houses? maybe I drove through the wrong area but I think where I went is Airport road. It goes through from the Grand Parkway to 1464 but like I said all I saw was open fields no houses yet.
Yes, that's what I saw, too! I keep thinking I'm missing something. When someone on here compared Aliana to Cinco Ranch, I was totally confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
Aliana has been a bust since it opened. I guess they are hiring a new team to turn it around. I've said this several times, but usually some homeowner or salesperson comes on this forum to tell me things are great. They aren't.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I just drove around the place but with all the signs and hype I did't see anything but about 10 houses? maybe I drove through the wrong area but I think where I went is Airport road. It goes through from the Grand Parkway to 1464 but like I said all I saw was open fields no houses yet.
There is nothing on West Airport Blvd, that's a brand new road and will probably be the very last area of development.
You have to drive north on FM 1464... you can't miss the clubhouse, so you weren't going the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Yes, that's what I saw, too! I keep thinking I'm missing something. When someone on here compared Aliana to Cinco Ranch, I was totally confused.
I missed that, maybe they meant it would be sort of like Cinco eventually. Because the Newland connection now, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Aliana has been a bust since it opened. I guess they are hiring a new team to turn it around. I've said this several times, but usually some homeowner or salesperson comes on this forum to tell me things are great. They aren't.
Neither me, nor Vicki, nor most of the others on here live in or work for Aliana. I don't know why you constantly are such a downer on it and other developments, maybe competing with the development/builders you work for.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
"Neither me, nor Vicki, nor most of the others on here live in or work for Aliana. I don't know why you constantly are such a downer on it and other developments, maybe competing with the development/builders you work for."

No, I actually know the industry and work in the industry. I'm not a drive-by hack with an opinion. I just tell the truth on things and the truth can hurt. There are plenty of great developments out there, then there are others who just don't cut it....builders pull out, lose money..etc. I am friends with many salespeople in many different companies and I get the scoop on most areas.

There are plenty of good developments out there, and maybe someday Aliana will be too. But up until now..builders have lost their ass out there...the developer has invested a lot of money in it and have yet to come close to realizing a return. The polo grounds are a joke. Drive down 1464 a ways and they are playing dice and sipping 40 oz's. Do you think Polo would be a draw?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
The polo grounds are a joke. Drive down 1464 a ways and they are playing dice and sipping 40 oz's. Do you think Polo would be a draw?

Wow!!!!!!! That is serious.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
AK123, Thanks for answering my question on the re-alignment of F.M. 1464.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of good developments out there, and maybe someday Aliana will be too. But up until now..builders have lost their ass out there...the developer has invested a lot of money in it and have yet to come close to realizing a return. The polo grounds are a joke. Drive down 1464 a ways and they are playing dice and sipping 40 oz's. Do you think Polo would be a draw?
I doubt they are trying to attract people from West Oaks or whatever area up 1464 you're talking about... so what does that have to do with anything? You can also go a few minutes up Hwy 59 from Sweetwater Blvd and hit some real ghetto inside the Beltway. Heck, Royal Oaks is plopped in the middle of Alief and seems to do fine. This is a much less extreme case. And I doubt anyone is moving there for polo right now... I'd guess they are moving there because it doesn't look as plain as your typical master-planned cookie-cutter development, has really nice facilities (not counting the polo field) and isn't 40 miles out from town like some of these other master-planned communities. And it's in a decent school district and zoned to two good high schools.

But, this is Houston city-data, so let the negativity continue...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 PM

37 posts, read 83,237 times
Chronicle Article on new Management and changes at Aliana Fort Bend's Aliana housing development to be revamped | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
I remember driving by this when I was last in Houston. The polo thing interested me. Too bad it didn't work out.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB68 View Post
Quote:
...the developer has invested a lot of money in it and have yet to come close to realizing a return.
From the article:
"Travis Stone, the new president of Aliana Development Co.
Stone took the job after years at the local division of Newland Communities, where he was most recently senior vice president. He oversaw development, sales and operations for the company's four Houston-area communities — including Cinco Ranch and Telfair.
Real estate and land experts agree that Aliana is well located and in a good school district - Fort Bend ISD - but some said its original plan was unconventional for Houston.
"The grid pattern, for example, and some of the lot depths and sizes were not Houston friendly," said Will Holder of home builder Trendmaker.
"

Confirms what I heard before, that the Dallas developer was unfamiliar with the Houston market and Houston homebuilders. Lots of things about the development were based on Dallas developments, specifically north Dallas (where there are some small hills... guess what, Houston has no hills!) Sounds like he didn't do his research. Needed a market research firm! But the smartest thing he ever did was to make Stone the new president... the rest of the neighborhood (which is most of it) will probably be changed up some to be more like Cinco Ranch and Telfair. If they really wanted to make a wave, they'd attract a Costco or Trader Joe's! But that's another subject...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston