Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 5,357 times

Advertisements

I have scoured this site and have also done a great deal of research elsewhere. Some of the information here, while helpful, is somewhat outdated with regards to our search, so I am throwing my question out here in the hopes that someone will be able to provide up to date information and/or advice.
Are Memorial Middle School and Memorial High still the best public school in Houston? for example, I saw the rating for MH dropped to 7/10, what happened? I know rating doesn’t mean everything, but both schools used to be the cream de la cream when I moved out years ago, and now I want to make sure they are still great before sending my own kids there (I’m moving back in). Most recent experience are more welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMD View Post
I have scoured this site and have also done a great deal of research elsewhere. Some of the information here, while helpful, is somewhat outdated with regards to our search, so I am throwing my question out here in the hopes that someone will be able to provide up to date information and/or advice.
Are Memorial Middle School and Memorial High still the best public school in Houston? for example, I saw the rating for MH dropped to 7/10, what happened? I know rating doesn’t mean everything, but both schools used to be the cream de la cream when I moved out years ago, and now I want to make sure they are still great before sending my own kids there (I’m moving back in). Most recent experience are more welcomed. Thanks!
I have experience with both. My son went to MM for 7th and 8th and is in MH now. Forget the ratings, both are great schools. There are quite a few suburb schools that are doing very well too.
Is there something specific you would like to know?

Old 04-23-2020, 03:43 AM

Thanks Hendersj31. We really like to know your experience with teachers, and how about school leaders. Is there a lot of dramas?! I know some teachers must be very good, some are okay and some not good, but overall needs to be positive and my experience is if the school’s principals are great, it won’t go wrong. If the leadership is horrible, all the good teachers will be gone one by one.

Do you refer to “Katy” for suburbs? Katy is an option for us too. Any specific school to recommend?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2020, 05:49 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
I'm looking forward to seeing some answers as well. I have an 8th grader, and we are zoned to MHS. She currently attends a (very very) small private school, but it ends in 8th grade, and I'm not sure where she will be going to high school. She has ADHD and Tourette's Syndrome and I am concerned about sending her to such a big school and bullying. On the flip side, I think she would have a better time finding a group of like-minded friends - which is hard to do when you have only 4 other kids in your grade like she does currently - as well as be able to get academic support from the school.

I will say we moved to SBISD (from HISD) for my younger child who thrives in the public school environment, but she's only in 4th grade now, so I can't help with questions regarding middle school or high school. We are zoned to SBMS.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:58 AM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Ratings are generally irrelevant. If you are involved in your child's education, they will do well. If you aren't they likely won't.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 AM

I have not met a teacher I had a problem with. Some are curt and to the point while others are more relaxed and fun. I really can't speak to the school leadership. My son is getting a good education in a safe setting with a decent athletics program and plenty of other extra curricular options. That is plenty good enough for us so I stay out of the administrations way. As far as dramas I cannot say anything about that either. I am sure there is kid stuff like any other school but my kid and his friends seem to be avoiding it so far.

Quote:
Thanks Hendersj31. We really like to know your experience with teachers, and how about school leaders. Is there a lot of dramas?! I know some teachers must be very good, some are okay and some not good, but overall needs to be positive and my experience is if the school’s principals are great, it won’t go wrong. If the leadership is horrible, all the good teachers will be gone one by one.

Do you refer to “Katy” for suburbs? Katy is an option for us too. Any specific school to recommend?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2020, 04:46 PM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
If you look at the relevant statistics within the larger data set published annually by "Children at Risk", Memorial HS looks really good. Don't look at the overall ratings that handicap schools without many poor kids - look at the objective stats like test scores, etc. However, that won't tell you anything about their ability to cater to special needs kids. My guess would be they won't be able to cater much to special needs. I seem to recall that there are one or two private schools north of I-10 that are geared specifically for special needs kids.

For your younger child, I would say Memorial MS and Memorial HS are about as good as it gets in the Houston metro area for public schools (although there are plenty of other fine options). If we were going the public school route, Memorial HS might be my first choice.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 PM

does anyone know what’s the ratio of MM graduates go to MH (zoned) vs. private high schools? A lot, half-half, or rare. Does that make sense joining private instead of zoned MH. My husband always says it maybe good idea to experience different type of stuff when they are young. I kind of disagree but would like to know your thoughts.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:31 AM

I do not know the exact number nor do I know how to find out. Seems this may have been discussed before and the consensus was most continue on to MHS. The kids already have identities and social groups at this point and most won't be changing that right before one of the biggest transitions of their young lives. If they were after a faith based education they would already be going there and if they needed a smaller classroom size that would have likely been identified prior to high school. There are the ones that choose Strake, St. Agnes, St . Thomas etc.. but my understanding it is a small percentage.
There are a few posters here that are pretty good with this stuff, perhaps they have better info than me.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:22 PM

249 posts, read 561,840 times
We are zoned MMS/MHS. I would agree that by the time kids are entering HS, the vast majority go on to MHS. If they were going to do the private school thing, most would already be doing it. I'm obviously biased, but MMS/MHS is the holy grail of school zoning in SBISD. You can't do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: