Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:10 PM

40 posts, read 206,576 times

Advertisements

What are the morehigher-end upscale areas in Houston? Would you include Bellaire?

As we are taking a very serious interest in moving there, can some of you please help describe the place, pros-cons, from personal expeirience.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
I would say either stay in 77401 or 77025. These zips are very upscale and make up the majority of the Bellaire area. There are some areas that are more upscale than others. Lots of of the homes are tear downs/rebuilds. the area has lots of medical professionals as the drive to the medical center is fast, Bellaire High School is the best HS in HISD. I would stay inside the loop North of Beechnut/Braeswood, south of Bellaire, and west of Buffalo speedway.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
When I think upscale Houston I think River Oaks, Tanglewood, Memorial Villages, Rice and Museum District.

And actually Lamar is ranked higher than Bellaire HS.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I would say either stay in 77401 or 77025. These zips are very upscale and make up the majority of the Bellaire area. There are some areas that are more upscale than others. Lots of of the homes are tear downs/rebuilds. the area has lots of medical professionals as the drive to the medical center is fast, Bellaire High School is the best HS in HISD. I would stay inside the loop North of Beechnut/Braeswood, south of Bellaire, and west of Buffalo speedway.
That is certainly a nice area, but I think that about half of what you are describing is actually Southside Place rather than Bellaire. Southside is subject to an enormous volume of new construction and the tear-downs are becoming prohibitively expensive. Southside is even more sought after now that it is zoned to West U. little league. If price is no concern, you may want to limit your search to the areas described in the previous post, but you are cutting out the majority of Bellaire and there is a great deal of prime real estate on the other side of 610. I think that a slightly more practical guideline for Bellaire is to STAY EAST OF CHIMNEY ROCK...

Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
I based my school ranking on Sat/ACT scores of the students. and Bellaire HS ranked higher than Lamar.

I think River Oaks & Memorial are considered as very affluent areas. I would not call Bellaire Avg. Where the avg. home is about 3.5-4x.
The State average and where the median household income is mid $160K.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Ok, so Bellaire is upper middle class with a sprinkling of upper. But that's not really upscale, just nice. But some of those apartments near the nice ares the worst in the city. Not just low income, but dangerous.

Schools, I think we could dicker all day on that one. But I would hold firm that Lamar was better due to programs, social situations and colleges the kids go onto.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
It seems like about a third of the homes near the west loop are McMansions.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,641 times
I live in Bellaire ITL; I would call the area upper middle and very nice but mostly working professionals. my neighbors are mostly small business owners, doctors and lawyers.

Having said that I'm on a block where I am one of he few working moms- I like to see our streets filled with kids and families in the evenings from different backgrounds and race. Personally I love it: only drawback is there are no shops walking distance.

Pros-great neighborhood, safe excellent schools, safe

Cons- very few stores to walk to, suburbia feel ( can be a pro too)

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbiezam View Post
I live in Bellaire ITL; I would call the area upper middle and very nice but mostly working professionals. my neighbors are mostly small business owners, doctors and lawyers.

Having said that I'm on a block where I am one of he few working moms- I like to see our streets filled with kids and families in the evenings from different backgrounds and race. Personally I love it: only drawback is there are no shops walking distance.

Pros-great neighborhood, safe excellent schools, safe

Cons- very few stores to walk to, suburbia feel ( can be a pro too)

Good luck!
You're posting on a thread that's 7 years old...

Old 08-12-2015, 03:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
You're posting on a thread that's 7 years old...
7 years ago may have been different but I've been to that area recently and yes, Bellaire ITL is an upscale area, very similar to West U and Southside Place. Homes are $1M+.

You need to be in top 1% income, whether by working or otherwise. That is upscale.

People on CD think making top 1% income starts upper middle class! Top 1% is clearly upper class. Of course there is a huge difference between bottom of top 1% to top, but all is upper class.

Of course, River Oaks and Memorial ITB are even more upscale and wealthy, but Bellaire is still an uoscale area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston