Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 42,520 times

Advertisements

Hi again, everyone. Thanks to those who responded to my last post regarding neighborhoods in and around Houston. Now, being an Italian-American girl, I am rather preoccupied with food -- both cooking and dining out. I'm wondering if people can tell me their opinion on what's best in greater Houston for the following:

1.) Italian restaurant
2.) Mid-Eastern restaurant
3.) natural/organic grocers
4.) specialty grocers/butchers
5.) bakeries (Italian, French, Jewish, Asian)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
1.) I love Damian's but I'll defer to any epicures...
2.) Definitely Defer... Lots of good Greek food, tho...
3.) Whole Foods, Central Market, Rice Epicurean to a lesser extent...
4.) I'm partial to Specs and Pete's Fine Meats, I'm sure someone else can offer up some more suggestions...
5.) Defer...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,652 times
1.) Mezzanote
2.) Fadi's
3.) Whole Foods/Central Market
4.) Pete's Fine Meats
5.) See #3

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
1.Da Marcos
2.Khyber
3.The real Central MArket
4. Herbert's, Pete's and Specs
5. Not a bakery person sorry. Good pasteries/cakes in a little place off Fountain View though. Name escapes me.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
And this is an unsolicited favorite, but go get a pastrami on rye with an egg salad from Nielson's Deli on Richmond between 610 and Weslayan. Warning: NOT HEALTH FOOD.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Wael's Meditteranean Cuisine, Bay Area Blvd, Clear Lake (Houston side)... awesome!!!

B4-U-EAT - Wael's Mediterranean Cuisine in Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 PM

30 posts, read 159,505 times
Irish/Italian/American here too. I am having a hard time finding all of those things here. What I would give for a meal and a pastry from "little italy" or bread from the local bakery! But, with the sacrifice of food, I have gained great friends, wonderful neighborhoods, good schools, cheaper living, slower paced living, just an easy way of life, and a happier family.

If there is a bakery in the Sring/Woodlands area other than Kroger/HEB/Wallmart I would be eternally grateful to know!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM

951 posts, read 1,453,483 times
farmers market every saturday morning 3000 richmond avenue

for good and cheap food go to Hillcroft and it feels like little Baghdad without the bombs

Definitely try Darband and eat the kabob for 6 bucks you gonna love it

Go to rice village and try Istanbul grill everything there is good and feels like Italy in 1960s

Then try Fadis on Beechnut not on westheimer, the latter one is like fastfood

oh almost forgot

go to Agora cafe on westheimer wednesday night and watch the belly dancers

if you have time go to the safran restaurant and everything is like 8 bucks it is an iranian restaurant and friday nights have belly dancers

there are sooooo many others I don't have time now

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_cat View Post
Hi again, everyone. Thanks to those who responded to my last post regarding neighborhoods in and around Houston. Now, being an Italian-American girl, I am rather preoccupied with food -- both cooking and dining out. I'm wondering if people can tell me their opinion on what's best in greater Houston for the following:

1.) Italian restaurant
2.) Mid-Eastern restaurant
3.) natural/organic grocers
4.) specialty grocers/butchers
5.) bakeries (Italian, French, Jewish, Asian)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Italian: Try Sorrento, Dolce Vita, DaMarco, and if you can spend the $$$ you absolutely must try Tony's.
Mideastern: Fadi's or Aladdin's; Istanbul in Rice Village; more authentic places around Harwin Dr. as well.
Natural organic grocers: Whole Foods and Central Market are both from Texas, can't go wrong there. Rice Epicurean and Spec's Warehouse have some good items also. There are various farmer's markets on the weekends, the one off of Airline is the largest.
Specialty grocers: See above and Phonecian grocers west of the beltway. There is a Russian market in Bellaire and some Korean market off of I-10 around Blaylock maybe? Lots of Asian markets around beltway and Bellaire
Bakeries are scattered all over the city; I'm not a good one to recommend.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Italian: Try Sorrento, Dolce Vita, DaMarco, and if you can spend the $$$ you absolutely must try Tony's.
Mideastern: Fadi's or Aladdin's; Istanbul in Rice Village; more authentic places around Harwin Dr. as well.
Natural organic grocers: Whole Foods and Central Market are both from Texas, can't go wrong there. Rice Epicurean and Spec's Warehouse have some good items also. There are various farmer's markets on the weekends, the one off of Airline is the largest.
Specialty grocers: See above and Phonecian grocers west of the beltway. There is a Russian market in Bellaire and some Korean market off of I-10 around Blaylock maybe? Lots of Asian markets around beltway and Bellaire
Bakeries are scattered all over the city; I'm not a good one to recommend.

I think Tony's is more the experience than the food. And if you aren't a regular/known Houstonian, they will stick you in a poor location. (Mark's will do that too)

Anthony's used to be wonderful when it was in Highland Village. I don't like the new location or menu.

To me Da Marco excels in the food department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston