Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 06:56 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure.
Maybe New Orleans?
That's per Wikipedia:
"The Bellaire Chinatown is about 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Downtown Houston. It is over 6 square miles (16 km2), making it among the largest automobile-centric Chinatowns in the Southern United States."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin...nited%20States.
New Orleans? What? Do you realize how vacant that area is? Houston’s EaDo Old Chinatown has more left of what it once had than New Orleans. I’m not only saying this out of data, I actually frequent both areas.

There isn’t a single Chinatown in the Southern United States besides Houston, unless you count Maryland as the South, but even then, Houston’s Chinatown is still bigger than Baltimore. There’s a Chinese themed plaza in places like Dallas and Atlanta but there’s no other sizable Chinatown in the Southern United States. So where you get the idea that another Chinatown in the South (Let alone NEW ORLEANS!) is beyond me.

Also, to inform you more on this, the adjacent Viet-Town (the Asian area west of the Beltway 8) isn’t included in the 6 sq miles boundaries of Chinatown. I personally don’t group Viet and Chinatown together, but it’s not uncommon to do so. If you did group them, the bounded Asiatown doubles in size.

Not only is Houston’s Chinatown the largest by far in the South, it has no competition. And if you purely speak landmass, it’s larger than even San Francisco’s per landmass. By number of Chinese or Asian businesses, it’s more competitive. And the bounded Viet-town and Chinatown is by far the largest continuous Asian area in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:15 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Anyway, it’s just a little funny how Houston ends up getting in between the China-USA drama again.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:13 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
New Orleans? What? Do you realize how vacant that area is? Houston’s EaDo Old Chinatown has more left of what it once had than New Orleans. I’m not only saying this out of data, I actually frequent both areas.

There isn’t a single Chinatown in the Southern United States besides Houston, unless you count Maryland as the South, but even then, Houston’s Chinatown is still bigger than Baltimore. There’s a Chinese themed plaza in places like Dallas and Atlanta but there’s no other sizable Chinatown in the Southern United States. So where you get the idea that another Chinatown in the South (Let alone NEW ORLEANS!) is beyond me.

Also, to inform you more on this, the adjacent Viet-Town (the Asian area west of the Beltway 8) isn’t included in the 6 sq miles boundaries of Chinatown. I personally don’t group Viet and Chinatown together, but it’s not uncommon to do so. If you did group them, the bounded Asiatown doubles in size.

Not only is Houston’s Chinatown the largest by far in the South, it has no competition. And if you purely speak landmass, it’s larger than even San Francisco’s per landmass. By number of Chinese or Asian businesses, it’s more competitive. And the bounded Viet-town and Chinatown is by far the largest continuous Asian area in the USA.
Ok...ok... But isn't one of the biggest in the world either.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Anyway, it’s just a little funny how Houston ends up getting in between the China-USA drama again.

Right. Not good on many levels.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:11 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:

Perhaps China might relocate the consulate to Westchase's Embassy Row once it reopens under the Biden Administration? That would be pretty close to Bellaire Blvd, unless they move it to Chinatown/Viettown itself.

Mexican consulate moving to southwest Houston to make way for downtown freeway rebuild - HoustonChronicle.com

Quote:
The new consulate location adds Mexican government officials to what is by some standards the embassy row of Houston. Numerous foreign governments have consulate or embassy offices in the Westchase area near Richmond and the tollway, including Costa Rica, Honduras, Indonesia, the Phillipines and the Netherlands.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:34 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Perhaps China might relocate the consulate to Westchase's Embassy Row once it reopens under the Biden Administration? That would be pretty close to Bellaire Blvd, unless they move it to Chinatown/Viettown itself.

Mexican consulate moving to southwest Houston to make way for downtown freeway rebuild - HoustonChronicle.com
The problem was not its location so I dont know that they would move.

Hopefully Biden will get elected and it will be allowed to return. It leaves a large swath of the country without consular services.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:02 AM

25 posts, read 28,222 times
Something I don't understand, why do sooooo many cosulate-generals particularly operate in Houston? Obviously Houston is a very international city, but even for nations with larger communities in say Dallas, the consulate-general almost always lands in Houston.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:38 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The problem was not its location so I dont know that they would move.

Hopefully Biden will get elected and it will be allowed to return. It leaves a large swath of the country without consular services.
So - you think China should be allowed to continue to operate a consulate where they are actively spying on US interests, and stealing US intellectual property?

I can understand you hating Trump, I can understand you liking Biden - I can not understand you supporting a murderous communist regime who is actively stealing from US companies who pour Billions of dollars into creating products that bring both Jobs and Wealth to OUR country. Why is it ok for them to steal? Why is it wrong for the US to kick them out?

[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 07-23-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 12:02 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Oh please. Trump applauded Xi for putting Muslims in concentration camps:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...injiang-2020-6

In reality, you only care when it scores political points. Trump's boot lickers dont care when Russia or Saudi behave badly because it suites them. China is doing a lot of things wrong right now and I wont defend that, but the selective nature of who you think is bad and good is ridiculous.

You cannot defend Trump while at the same time decrying China for putting people in concentration camps. We have a lot of people from China living here. They need a consulate in this part of the country to serve them. So yeah, I hope it comes back.
My post was not in any way supportive of Trump - you are the one trying to defend an indefensible position solely because its something Trump did. Its amazing to me. Pure Trump derangement syndrome.

He is right to shut down this consulate. They were caught with their hand in the cookie jar stealing US intellectual property for the umpteenth millionth time....They got their hand slapped, and they are so arrogant, so conceited, and have paid off so many entities like the WHO, and the UN, that they know they will get away with it.

As to your other baseless accusations ...
[Mod cut: they are off topic. If you want to discuss them - start a thread on Politics Forum]

Last edited by elnina; 07-23-2020 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
So - you think China should be allowed to continue to operate a consulate where they are actively spying on US interests, and stealing US intellectual property?
Seriously? Stealing from the thief?
This is off topic, but just that you know:
Everyone is in spying business, depending on their capacity.
Should they be allowed?

The United States is just one of many countries that have invested significant amounts of money in developing not just defences against attack, but the ability to mount damaging cyber warfare offensives.
Billions of dollars have been dedicated to the project.
High-tech espionage is rife and is done for state advantage as well as commercial and criminal gain.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/...r-superpowers/

US spies on "the entire globe", experts say.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24627187

Is that some news to you??
It describes how the United States and its allies exploited other nations' gullibility for years, taking their money and stealing their secrets.
https://thehill.com/regulation/inter...es-for-decades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston