Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:29 PM

36 posts, read 13,037 times

Advertisements

That is correct. FOR NOW. What I'm saying is that this is not sustainable given the economic situation in the area. This is just like you said a short term consequence of the pent up demand during COVID. When all that clears and people run out of mortgage forbearance and other types of stimulus, it will go down in flames. Maybe not like in 2009, but it will still go down. Even in 2009, it took over a year for the RE to crash. In 2008 there were still people doing the same type of analysis that you are doing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysh View Post
That is correct. FOR NOW. What I'm saying is that this is not sustainable given the economic situation in the area. This is just like you said a short term consequence of the pent up demand during COVID. When all that clears and people run out of mortgage forbearance and other types of stimulus, it will go down in flames. Maybe not like in 2009, but it will still go down. Even in 2009, it took over a year for the RE to crash. In 2008 there were still people doing the same type of analysis that you are doing right now.
I hear the high end of the market all across the country is red hot. People fleeing high tax and now socially unstable areas like NYC, California, Seattle are fleeing in droves to less populous areas like the suburbs and even rural. For example in Coeur D'Lane (not sure the spelling) Idaho multi million properties are not staying long on the market due to all the rich Californians ditching the state and escaping. But I think you are right that in the long term for us "normal" people things can get very bad if the jobs don't come back and soon.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:17 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I hear the high end of the market all across the country is red hot. People fleeing high tax and now socially unstable areas like NYC, California, Seattle are fleeing in droves to less populous areas like the suburbs and even rural. For example in Coeur D'Lane (not sure the spelling) Idaho multi million properties are not staying long on the market due to all the rich Californians ditching the state and escaping. But I think you are right that in the long term for us "normal" people things can get very bad if the jobs don't come back and soon.
Yeah this is what is really happening. There are a few dense and liberal cities which are seeing an exodus if you look at their housing or rental market. San Francisco, NYC, Seattle, Portland, some parts of LA, and the rich enclaves near them (Berkeley Hills near SF, etc.). I've heard directly people are tired of the taxes, the homeless, and they can work from anywhere right now. SF's condo and apartment market has turned into a buyers market. People are getting 15-20% off their rent in some highrise buildings...

People want lower taxes and more freedom. Places like Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, etc., are going to continue to explode. I know myself I've started looking at the Hill Country for some land...

Old 09-09-2020, 03:27 PM

40 posts, read 16,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yeah this is what is really happening. There are a few dense and liberal cities which are seeing an exodus if you look at their housing or rental market. San Francisco, NYC, Seattle, Portland, some parts of LA, and the rich enclaves near them (Berkeley Hills near SF, etc.). I've heard directly people are tired of the taxes, the homeless, and they can work from anywhere right now. SF's condo and apartment market has turned into a buyers market. People are getting 15-20% off their rent in some highrise buildings...

People want lower taxes and more freedom. Places like Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, etc., are going to continue to explode. I know myself I've started looking at the Hill Country for some land...
I'm sorry to break it to you, but TX is not a low tax state. I know you were brainwashed into thinking that, but compared to CA, the property taxes here are just ridiculous. You don't pay income tax in TX but you pay through the nose in property taxes. And the sales tax is about the same. People running away from the high cost of real estate in those areas it's a real thing, but running from taxes, that's not it.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerymary View Post
I'm sorry to break it to you, but TX is not a low tax state. I know you were brainwashed into thinking that, but compared to CA, the property taxes here are just ridiculous. You don't pay income tax in TX but you pay through the nose in property taxes. And the sales tax is about the same. People running away from the high cost of real estate in those areas it's a real thing, but running from taxes, that's not it.
I'm a native Texan and pay California taxes now. Overall CA is more expensive, including income taxes, property taxes (only good in CA if you bought a long time ago and rates are locked in unlike TX), and investment taxes.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'm a native Texan and pay California taxes now. Overall CA is more expensive, including income taxes, property taxes (only good in CA if you bought a long time ago and rates are locked in unlike TX), and investment taxes.
You pay more taxes because the real estate prices are higher in CA. That's a different factor that is so for many reasons. You also probably make more money in CA than TX, which again would be a different factor, unrelated to the tax burden as it is commonly thought of.

But dollar for dollar, the tax burden in CA is similar to that in TX, if you consider identical income and property prices scenarios. You are much better off in CA at low income levels and much better in TX at high income levels, due to the way the 2 states structure their taxes. But for a regular family, taking the price of real estate out of the equation and considering identical incomes and property values, the two states are very similar.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 AM

467 posts, read 779,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysh View Post
Hard to predict the future.. “when all this clears” Dow could be at 45k, rates at 7% and average sale price up 20% from today. So a 5% drop in price would still result in 15% more purchase price and 30-40% less purchasing power on rate.

Houston is booming .. and leading the country in building start permits. Hard to deny the facts.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Hard to predict the future.. “when all this clears” Dow could be at 45k, rates at 7% and average sale price up 20% from today. So a 5% drop in price would still result in 15% more purchase price and 30-40% less purchasing power on rate.

Houston is booming .. and leading the country in building start permits. Hard to deny the facts.
You realize that what you just stated is an argument for pricing going down, not up. If the number of building permits is through the roof, that means an increase of supply, which means a decrease of prices in the future! Prices would go up if the reverse was to be true!

Old 09-10-2020, 04:22 PM

36 posts, read 13,037 times
Quote:
You realize that what you just stated is an argument for pricing going down, not up. If the number of building permits is through the roof, that means an increase of supply, which means a decrease of prices in the future! Prices would go up if the reverse was to be true!

Was literally going to say the same thing.

It's not easy to understand economics and it's even harder to understand how expectations and predictions work. Most people think from the perspective of the past so they tend to project what happened in the recent past or what is happening currently in the future. But of course that's the first lesson in finance, that past histories are not indicative of the future.

I live here so I hope Houston prospers. And it has a good chance because it is pretty well diversified. But there is still a huge chunk of the local economy that is relying on energy and that has the potential of becoming the next Detroit when that sector of the economy collapses. People say I'm crazy but there are too many flashing signs. Shale oil is simply not competitive enough and a price war between Russia and the Saudis does not help one bit. Nevermind the Covid-related decrease in demand. We're not looking pretty at the moment

Old 09-10-2020, 08:34 PM

467 posts, read 779,015 times
Quote:
Exactly.. my point is if prices rise 20% from today and values pull back 5% are you really getting a deal? Everyone wants to time the market and rarely, very rarely does it work. Market isn’t collapsing. Every year I see the same doom & gloom posts on here. Guess what.. prices go up & market doesn’t fall. It’s called inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston