Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 09:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,734,083 times

Advertisements

My family and I recently moved to the Southlake subdivision in the Briar Forest area. We love the neighborhood and our new home, but we've had some trouble with the neighbor immediately behind us. She is angry because she says our dogs bark too much and are "untrained." Our dogs do go outside and they do bark, but they certainly don't bark more than other dogs in this area. Moreover, they are not outside all that much--maybe two to three hours per day. The one dog who does most of the barking doesn't bark incessantly, either. She actually barks very little--my wife and I have been keeping a close ear on the situation and it's just not that much barking; she really only barks in response to the sound of other dogs barking, or when she sees a squirrel or opossum. At any rate, we haven't had any complaints from any neighbors where we used to live, and we don't have any other complaints here either. We keep our dogs out less than some other neighbors, and our dogs definitely bark less than one dog very near to us. I have also reviewed the city of Houston code for dog barking and our dogs also don't even come close to the threshold for complaint. I'm not sure about the South Briar community association, the HOA that governs this area. We're still registering with them, so I haven't gotten the full list of rules and policies.

So, I have a couple of questions. The first is just general: what are your thoughts? Do you think this is something to "lawyer up" over? I'm seriously considering it. The woman has hand-delivered a letter threatening to contact the HOA or the "city of Houston." Moreover, this morning I saw her slapping at her fence while screaming at my dogs (who were not barking at the time, or disturbing her fence). I spoke to her briefly, and in a very measured tone, but she screamed at me about how bad my dogs are, and that they shouldn't come so close to her fence--I mean she's telling my dogs where they can be _in their own yard_. This is going to be a problem.

The second question is more specific: I want to get a security camera for the backyard that records footage. This way, we can document the time the dogs are actually barking. She says it's constant, but it's probably more like 1/2 hour of total barking per day--with a camera we'll have evidence of this. But I'm not sure what kind of camera system actually records footage, and has an interface to access it. I'd like to have footage recorded and saved for at least a week at a time and the audio/video should be good quality so I can track the barking (and see if the lady is going to continue swatting at my dogs). If you have any recommendations of cameras/services, please pass them along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 11:48 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,311,992 times
In general, people tend to underestimate the nuisance and noise caused by their own pets (and kids) on others. The amount of barking might well be "normal" for a typical neighborhood but from the neighbor's perspective, if the previous owner did not have any pets then the situation has taken a significant turn for the worse. Sometimes you just can't please others no matter what you do but you might try to see if there is an issue with the particular time of day your dogs are out. I'd definitely install cameras. If the neighbor is trying to antagonize them she might try to poison them.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,254,019 times
Quote:
So, I have a couple of questions. The first is just general: what are your thoughts? Do you think this is something to "lawyer up" over? I'm seriously considering it. The woman has hand-delivered a letter threatening to contact the HOA or the "city of Houston." Moreover, this morning I saw her slapping at her fence while screaming at my dogs (who were not barking at the time, or disturbing her fence). I spoke to her briefly, and in a very measured tone, but she screamed at me about how bad my dogs are, and that they shouldn't come so close to her fence--I mean she's telling my dogs where they can be _in their own yard_. This is going to be a problem.
It is not something to lawyer up over.

The letter she handed to you should be disregarded. It has no teeth.

If she is slapping the fence, irritating your dogs then blaming you for it, and telling you what you can do on your own property then she has mental issues. Uncivil people like that cannot be dealt with in a “measured tone.” Step up your tone to borderline threatening, legally.

If you are going to record things what will you do with it? Dox her and post it on the web? What will that accomplish?

Old 01-04-2021, 09:29 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,998,292 times
Welcome to the Briar Forest area! Sorry to hear about your neighbor - I agree there probably weren't outside dogs with the previous occupant so it's a change for her. Sounds like you are making a good faith effort, and the cameras would be worthwhile.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:18 AM

567 posts, read 1,627,114 times
Get a camera and record the footage in case she does anything to your dogs. I'm not a dog person, and I hate barking dogs, but I live with it because it's not my business (as long as it happens during the day). I would never mention anything to my neighbors about that. I have loud kids that I am sure could annoy people, but that is life.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:48 PM

102 posts, read 160,875 times
Depending on the city, you have to have a written letter describing the noise nuisance. Afterwards, with written proof, you can then call the police so they can write a ticket.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:17 PM

11,208 posts, read 7,267,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In general, people tend to underestimate the nuisance and noise caused by their own pets (and kids) on others. The amount of barking might well be "normal" for a typical neighborhood but from the neighbor's perspective, if the previous owner did not have any pets then the situation has taken a significant turn for the worse.
Yes, definitely. Well-said.

I've been in that boat too, going from quiet to noisy (including home stereos, etc.) and it's a horrifying matter.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,734,083 times
Thanks for the advice folks. I spoke to someone today who works in the HOA and apparently my neighbor’s reputation precedes her. She’s known for being difficult, rude and for making lots of complaints. This was edifying to hear because it means that my dogs probably aren’t as bad as the lady is saying. It was also a bummer because apparently the lady has been like this for years and is very unlikely to change. It will just be something I will have to deal with. By the way, I really love Briar Forest. It’s an interesting area and I’ve already got a list of about 50 restaurants on Westheimer I want to try...

Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM

22 posts, read 65,434 times
As someone who recently had new neighbors move in next door with three dogs who bark incessantly, I can understand your neighbor's frustrations even if her tactics and behavior is questionable.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:28 PM

196 posts, read 421,171 times
Welcome to the neighborhood!! We are in the subdivision just north of you. It's a great area.

Check out Reolink cameras if your looking for something DIY friendly. I much prefer the Cat5 wired models. Super stable and no batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston