Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kingwood vs. The Woodlands: Which do you recommend?
Kingwood 1 4.55%
The Woodlands 21 95.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 12:00 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Thank you.

What is your preference in Metro Houston?
Outside of inside loop(my favorite part about Houston) I'd prefer Katy-Greater Katy-Unincorporated Richmond-Cinco Ranch area. That's more of a preference due to proximity to that part of Houston, the diversity and amenities in that part of the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 01:01 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Outside of inside loop(my favorite part about Houston) I'd prefer Katy-Greater Katy-Unincorporated Richmond-Cinco Ranch area. That's more of a preference due to proximity to that part of Houston, the diversity and amenities in that part of the metro.
I second this.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:05 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,225,285 times
Quote:
Kingwood vs. The Woodlands

1. Please compare and contrast.

2. Which do you prefer?

3. Which do you recommend?

4. Which is prettier?

5. Which offers the better overall quality of life?

6. Any other tidbits?

Kingwood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingwood,_Houston

The Woodlands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodlands,_Texas
That depends on where you work. if it's the medical center or downtown Houston or anywhere other than in the woodlands I recommend Kingwood. It's not as nice it's not as pretty but it is nice and pretty.

It's i-45 that is the worst road in Houston and I would live in Far lesser places versus having to sit through that traffic.

That being said your situation traffic might not be that big a deal. Schools are better in The woodlands than they are in Kingwood. Your little further out from the city in The woodlands then you are in Kingwood.

I'm not sure about house values I think they're about equal.

so it really all depends on what are deal breakers for you, what you would prefer to live with over what you would rather not live with. They're both great places, very pretty. But you have to weigh the pros and the cons.

I live in the hood I don't drive far away from work I don't sit in traffic and the best pho in town is within walking distance.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:04 AM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
There is a perception that the quality of municipal services provided by the city of Houston are inferior and more expensive than those provided by smaller, more affluent communities ("paying more for less"). In the mid '90s, many Kingwood residents strongly opposed annexation for this reason. Most have gotten over it, though I have some friends up there who are still bitter and claim fire, police, and EMS have been understaffed in the area for quite some time.
Were their services better when they were unincorporated?

Old 01-10-2021, 09:53 AM

332 posts, read 261,354 times
Quote:
Were their services better when they were unincorporated?
Can't say for sure because I never lived in Kingwood, but like I said I have some friends who have lived there for quite some time (early '80s I think?) and they claim to have noticed a difference. I doubt new residents will care, and in my opinion is not a showstopper by any stretch.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 65,265 times
Quote:
Interesting. They were both established around the same time (early to mid 1970s).

Why is the population older and more conservative in Kingwood?
The Woodlands is more attractive to younger people. Kingwood really isn't. I would have rather died than moved to Kingwood when I was under 30 and single. I'm kinda bored here now married in my 40's but I love my yard. TW has a lot more apartments and things to do for singles/ younger people. Kingwood also still has a lot of empty nesters who first came here to raise families in the 70's and 80's. I expect things to possibly change within the next 10-15 years as these people start to pass on or downsize.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
The employment base, especially for white-collar jobs, is much stronger in the area around The Woodlands than Kingwood. It allowed The Woodlands to develop its own downtown. Kingwood doesn't have anything comparable.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Kingwood vs. The Woodlands

1. Please compare and contrast.

2. Which do you prefer?

3. Which do you recommend?

4. Which is prettier?

5. Which offers the better overall quality of life?

6. Any other tidbits?

Kingwood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingwood,_Houston

The Woodlands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodlands,_Texas
Of course, it partly depends on where you work.
The Woodlands is prettier. Its road system is infinitely better. If you are in the back of Kingwood you have to go through the whole development. The Woodlands Parkway is almost a "super-arterial" and there are back ways out of the Woodlands as well.

The Woodlands is prettier.

The Woodlands has a bigger variety of restaurants and amenities nearby.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:12 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Of course, it partly depends on where you work.
The Woodlands is prettier. Its road system is infinitely better. If you are in the back of Kingwood you have to go through the whole development. The Woodlands Parkway is almost a "super-arterial" and there are back ways out of the Woodlands as well.

The Woodlands is prettier.

The Woodlands has a bigger variety of restaurants and amenities nearby.
I agree with this, but it's worth noting that for much of the history with the two communities, they weren't terribly different in these regards. Things really started diverging after the The Woodlands Mall opened in 1994.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM

22 posts, read 65,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The employment base, especially for white-collar jobs, is much stronger in the area around The Woodlands than Kingwood. It allowed The Woodlands to develop its own downtown. Kingwood doesn't have anything comparable.
There is a large white collar base here but Kingwood is a straight shot into downtown; about 30-45 minutes. The Woodlands is about an hour or so at least and you have to contend with traffic on 45. Both areas are hell getting to other parts of town.

Plus, Kingwood is pretty resistant to large employers (commercial development in general) and wants to retain a bedroom community vibe. The one major exception is Insperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston