Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 13,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slkj View Post
Our budget would not get us much of a house in Bellaire and I’m very worried about living anywhere in a flood zone.
Many parts of Sugar Land have also flooded in our storms, you need to be aware of flooding anywhere you buy. The feeling of the Jewish community you are speaking of can best be found in the Meyerland/Willow Meadows/Braeswood area of Houston.

A commute from the Woodlands would be well over an hour each way to Rice.

Sugarland can be 45 minutes in the morning and close to an hour going home.

Meyerland would be about 15-20 minutes to Rice in the morning and the same heading home.

I found this article that could be a good read for you:

https://houston.citymomsblog.com/at-...ish-community/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 AM

694 posts, read 835,178 times
"Many parts of Sugar Land have also flooded in our storms"

Really? Name them.

Been here a while, and the only flooding that I recall was in Riverstone, an unincorporated area south of Sugar Land.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:11 PM

45,548 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Sugar Land offers to best commute to Rice, and is definitely closer to the Meyerland area - as both are southwest of downtown.

Ditto the post above concerning the flooding in Sugar Land. The only extensive damage has been in Riverstone subdivision. There is street flooding, but it goes down once the rainwater processes itself.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 4,608 times
Thank you all for the advice. Do you guys know if First Colony middle school
Is a good school?
We might have found a place that’s zoned for that school and I have read mixed reviews, so wanted to reach out here.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:56 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,396 times
It is definitely a good school. What specific concerns do you have having researched it?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 4,608 times
I’ve heard that children on an IEP don’t get the right kind of support they need.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slkj View Post
I’ve heard that children on an IEP don’t get the right kind of support they need.
Depends on the particular school and what the child needs.

I live in Pearland and have had no trouble getting support for my autistic grandson.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:43 PM

143 posts, read 229,184 times
Consider if you want to integrate onto a synagogue community, Conservative , Modern Orthodox, Reformed and even Sephardic exists in Houston. There are some shuls outside of Meyerland/Bellaire but you won’t have choices as with the close in neighborhoods. And once your kids get BBYO age you don’t want to be hauling them in from the Woodlands for all the events. Sugar land is more doable. Clear Lake has one. West U has a major reform temple. Check out the Federation’s website for lists and other resources. In Meyerland etc you have to check block by block if flooded. Also new houses are being built elevated and some older houses lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston