Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 04:17 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I prefer Cinco Ranch. I like hw food and nightlife in Cinco
I agree. The food options in Cinco and adjacent areas are far superior to what can be found in the Woodlands.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 06:25 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
Riverstone in Sugar Land
This has got to be sarcasm as Riverstone is way too far, even for an occasional The Woodlands visit.

Both Cinco Ranch MPC and The Woodlands are good places to raise a family.

Cinco Ranch has better access to city of Houston via I-10, Westheimer Parkway (which leaves Cinco East going through George Bush Park and connects to FM 1093/Westheimer Rd), Westpark Toll Road and FM 1093 which becomes Westheimer in city of Houston (home is located in Cinco SW). City of Houston access advantage of Cinco Ranch area discussed in previous posts.

Katy area has a broader income range than The Woodlands, the latter having more upper-middle class folks. Katy area outside of Cinco MPC has more middle class (Cinco MPC being more upper middle class). Katy area is largely unincorporated so development is rampant and less organized. City of Katy has a “small town” , not upscale feel while The Woodlands is more upscale overall. This is a matter of what the OP prefers.

The Woodlands has better shopping close by. La Centerra is good, but small compared to The Woodlands Mall. Katy Mills is just okay. This has been addressed in previous posts.

Tolls from Cinco Ranch MPC to The Woodlands each way are quite high (at least $10 each way-might want to verify). This is a significant distance and alternate non-toll roads are very inconvenient from these 2 points.

Cinco Ranch MPC is equally FAR to both Bush and Hobby Airports.

The Woodlands is close to Bush Airport.

Not many trees in the Katy Prairie unless you buy home in the 20 yr old original Cinco subdivisions just east of 99. Even then, it is no comparison to The Woodlands in terms of scenery.

Katy area just doesn’t have as many major companies as The Woodlands. Katy area residents largely have to travel into City of Houston for work. Minimum 40 minutes to Energy Corridor in pre-COVID peak times. One hour to the Galleria (pre-COVID).

The Woodlands is as close to a zoned city as you will ever get in the Greater Houston Area. For a suburb, they have much better security than Katy area (not in City of Katy) subdivisions. Cinco Ranch MPC hires Constables to patrol and so do other MPCs in the Katy area. Not the same. The Woodlands is a township so it operates with police and other city services. Taxes, but no HOA fees. The Woodlands is the much safer suburban area overall.

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 01-13-2021 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymargaret View Post
Hello everyone ,

We are a family of four looking to buy a new home. We have short listed two locations

The Woodlands in spring or Cinco Ranch in Katy ....

What do you think is more suitable for a family with young kids?

Travel to work is mostly not a concern .The priority is to find a safe, friendly and upscale neighborhood with great schools (Elementary and High)

I'd love to hear your thoughts !

Thanks and have a nice evening.
Woodlands is red and cinco is blue. Both are nice and far frim the city. Woodlands is more greener and better parks entertainment and amenities and walkable.

Woodlands is slightly upscale and cico is more diverse.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:23 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,257 times
I'm not sure I buy that there are a lot better food options in Cinco; I'd say it's pretty comparable, and actually, I'd likely give The Woodlands the edge in terms of fine dining.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Woodlands is red and cinco is blue. Both are nice and far frim the city. Woodlands is more greener and better parks entertainment and amenities and walkable.

Woodlands is slightly upscale and cico is more diverse.
Cinco is better for food and nightlife, Woodlands is better for shopping.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:23 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Cinco is better for food and nightlife, Woodlands is better for shopping.
What restaurants/food options put Cinco above TW?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:29 PM

102 posts, read 158,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
You will definitely find a diverse Asian cuisine in Katy Asiatown than in the Woodlands.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I buy that there are a lot better food options in Cinco; I'd say it's pretty comparable, and actually, I'd likely give The Woodlands the edge in terms of fine dining.
For "chef-driven" higher-end dining concepts, this is probably true. But it's my sense that Cinco has more overall diversity and options of types of cuisines - it has a ton of chains to be sure, but the general Katy area (not just within Cinco but Cinco-adjacent) has tons of independent and mom-and-pop places with global variety that I don't think Montgomery County has matched yet.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:49 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
There are way more Asian and South American restaurants in the area. TW is mostly chains, although if you're into fine dining then TW might be better.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Cinco has all kinds of international food. It's known particularly for its Venezuelan food. And living in Cinco, you're in the Katy Area which has its own Asia Town. TW has nothing like that

The Woodlands has chains and what not but so does Cinco/Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston