Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2023, 10:33 AM

141 posts, read 123,172 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Carlsbad, California but I’m due to take retirement next year and e want to move, we’ve had enough of this place

I’m originally from Ireland, my wife is Filipina and we have a 9yr old boy and 3yr old girl.

I wanted a move back to the UK but my wife hated the weather

My son is a competitive swimmer and triathlete so sports clubs are essential in a decision of where to move to
I had work colleagues that have friends in Katy and they all enjoyed a recent visit there so we are planning a trip there next year

We’ve been sending our son to our church school (Lutheran) in SD and I notice there are no Lutheran schools in Kay, are there any other recommended church schools or Conservative private schools in the area?

If anyone has recommendations for housing, swim clubs or schools I would love to hear

And does anyone know if there is a Filipino community nearby?

Last edited by Tipmart87; 10-26-2023 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 12:04 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,936,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
We currently live in Carlsbad, California but I’m due to take retirement next year and e want to move, we’ve had enough of this place

I’m originally from Ireland, my wife is Filipina and we have a 9yr old boy and 3yr old girl.

My son is a competitive swimmer and triathlete so sports clubs are essential in a decision of where to move to
I had work colleagues that have friends in Katy and they all enjoyed a recent visit there so we are planning a trip there next year

We’ve been sending our son to our church school (Lutheran) in SD and I notice there are no Lutheran schools in Kay, are there any other recommended church schools or Conservative private schools in the area?

If anyone has recommendations for housing, swim clubs or schools I would love to hear

I'm not personally aware of any well-known Christian schools in Katy itself, though I would think there are probably some less-known ones. The big-name non-Catholic ones for high school in the Houston area are probably Houston Christian, Second Baptist, Lutheran North, and Episcopal (not sure religious the last one is). However, unless you can drop off / pick up your child on the way to and from work in central Houston, you wouldn't want to live in Katy and send your child to those, the distance is too far.

I would imagine the greatest concentration of Filipinos is near the Texas Medical Center due to the large number of Filipino nurses there.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:23 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Katy (or better yet “Greater Katy” is a very diverse suburb. It’s not the largest Filipino community in HOU but it’s large enough that you’ll run into other Filipinos there.

The main Filipino community center is found near TMC in the “Filipinotown plaza”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo2Hq...lsYSBob3VzdG9u

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm not personally aware of any well-known Christian schools in Katy itself, though I would think there are probably some less-known ones. The big-name non-Catholic ones for high school in the Houston area are probably Houston Christian, Second Baptist, Lutheran North, and Episcopal (not sure religious the last one is). However, unless you can drop off / pick up your child on the way to and from work in central Houston, you wouldn't want to live in Katy and send your child to those, the distance is too far.

I would imagine the greatest concentration of Filipinos is near the Texas Medical Center due to the large number of Filipino nurses there.
Residentially speaking, Pearland and southwest Houston generally has the largest Filipino communities. The Texas Medical Center has the largest Filipino workforce. The “Filipino plaza” is close to TMC because of this. Filipino businesses are starting to appear in SW HOU to reflect the community though

Galveston cruise port also has a strong Filipino work force but that one is mostly rolling contract Visas (which to be fair, TMC as well to a lesser degree).

Old 10-26-2023, 12:58 PM

694 posts, read 835,366 times
https://www.memoriallutheranschool.org/

https://www.gostmark.org/

Old 10-26-2023, 01:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
For religious schools there’s at least two well known ones in Katy. There’s also a British School which isn’t religious but also well regarded. There’s Saint John’s off 99 and Frank road as well as Faith West Academy near Old Katy.

All three of those schools are north of I-10 so depending on your budget you might go South of I-10 to live but north of I-10 for schooling if your dead set on a religious school. There’s some new neighborhoods in Old Katy like Cane Island that’s north of I-10 as well as a ton of established neighborhoods on both sides of the highway but without your budget wouldn’t know which are to point you too.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,238,805 times
If you're thinking of Katy, also look at Sugar Land. Lots of Filipinos and Asians there. Sugar Land also has Fort Bend Christian Academy. Although I'll give the nod to Katy or Memorial for Irish & UK expats.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:03 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:

If the weather is a major factor - summers run from mid-May thru mid-October... 90+ degree temps w/ humidity. If you can handle that - then you should be good.

You can look up Lutheran schools here. There are a couple of schools listed in Katy.

Lutheran Schools in Texas

Old 11-12-2023, 06:44 PM

53 posts, read 58,487 times
Quote:

Katy is good suburbs area but going to airport is horrible (if u r a frequent traveller). If not, it has best school districts and easy access to all freeways (but traffic is horrible). coming from CA, you may not notice so much but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston