Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,617 times

Advertisements

We are likely moving to Houston, after checking some areas out through Texas. I have one question regarding the toll system. What is the difference between EZ Tag and Tx Tag? I know both can be used interchangeable, so in the end what is the difference? It appears to me that EZ Tag gets a discount here, but does this apply to Tx Tag too? And are there separate fees I should know about?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 01:31 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
TxTag is my choice. It's free to get one instead of the $15 they make you pay for an EZTag, and you get the discounts. At least I've been getting the discounts with my TxTag.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:40 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
TxTag is my choice. It's free to get one instead of the $15 they make you pay for an EZTag, and you get the discounts. At least I've been getting the discounts with my TxTag.
I recently got an EZ tag and didn’t have to pay the $15 activation fee. I guess they got rid of those? All I did was prepay $20 and it takes it out as I go or reload.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
I always thought TXTag covered all of Texas and a couple of neighboring states, whereas EZTag was only for Houston.
Seems like TXTag would be better if you drive frequently on tolls throughout the state.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I always thought TXTag covered all of Texas and a couple of neighboring states, whereas EZTag was only for Houston.
Seems like TXTag would be better if you drive frequently on tolls throughout the state.

I've had an EZTag for years,although I havent used it much lately. I happened to check my usage online recently and saw that there were two charges on my EZTag account for a Dallas toll road. I called EZTag and they found that it was a computer error. The error was corrected promptly and now I check my usage every month, just to make sure there are no more computer errors.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
EZ tag works throughout Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:28 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
They are interchangeable. It wont matter which one you get.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Several years ago, TxTag was the superior choice. No tag fee, lower deposit, wider acceptance, pay by mail, easier to transfer. Over time, EZ Tag has adopted the policies of TxTag and there is little difference anymore.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Several years ago, TxTag was the superior choice. No tag fee, lower deposit, wider acceptance, pay by mail, easier to transfer. Over time, EZ Tag has adopted the policies of TxTag and there is little difference anymore.
Does TxTag offer the same discounts as EZ Tag through the belt for example? That’s the only difference I can think of.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:33 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethiopia100 View Post
EZ Tag and Tx Tag? I know both can be used interchangeable, so in the end what is the difference?

Thanks!
EZ tag is Harris county, and Tx Tag is the state system. For the record, last year I sold one car with EZ Tag and bought another. They wanted $15 for another tag for the new vehicle and I refused and just transferred the tag. I was able to use it on Harris county toll roads like that no problem, but when I used it on Grand Parkway (state operated) I got dinged and billed in the mail. Possibly the state is more strict on matching the license plate photo with the one on record for the issued EZ tag. IMO Harris county should give the option of transferring the EZ tag instead of making you pay for a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: