Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:34 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times

Advertisements

I remember when some Katrina evacuees came to Houston after the hurricane destroyed New Orleans, and as a result, the violent crime skyrocketed. Some folks were saying Houston's violent crime was already rising before the storm, others say the crime increase is a result of some evacuees with bad intent. Truthfully, N.O. criminals tried to get established in some Houston hoods, but were shut down fast. The highest presence of evacuees were SW Houston and North Houston, mostly in or around Greenspoint. Houston authorities had zero tolerance towards the havoc some evacuees were causing, so those NO evacuees ran back to New Orleans. Unlike Louisiana, Texas criminal justice system is tough. There's no 60-day law in Texas where you commit a crime and are back on the streets if no charges are brought forth in 60 days. As stated before, many former NO evacuees came to Houston, got established and are living their best life.

Last edited by AcresHomes44; 01-23-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 11:39 AM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
It's 2021

Old 01-23-2021, 11:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
I resent your implication that all of the people who came from NO after Katrina were or are criminals. We moved here from Metairie shortly after Katrina and have lived here for 11 years now. No-one in my family has ever been involved with crime anywhere we lived including here. We moved because my grandson's therapists were not returning to Metairie quickly and he needed his ABA therapy.

I never needed a gun anywhere I lived. I never was arrested for anything ever (had a few parking tickets). I walked everywhere and never met anyone criminal up in Chicago where the crime is *supposedly* higher. I worked in the Chicago public schools at the high school level and there were some students at the school who had problems, but they were not hardened criminals even so.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I resent your implication that all of the people who came from NO after Katrina were or are criminals. We moved here from Metairie shortly after Katrina and have lived here for 11 years now. No-one in my family has ever been involved with crime anywhere we lived including here. We moved because my grandson's therapists were not returning to Metairie quickly and he needed his ABA therapy.

I never needed a gun anywhere I lived. I never was arrested for anything ever (had a few parking tickets). I walked everywhere and never met anyone criminal up in Chicago where the crime is *supposedly* higher. I worked in the Chicago public schools at the high school level and there were some students at the school who had problems, but they were not hardened criminals even so.
I never implied all people from N.O. were criminals, I was pointing out the criminal element that came to Houston for bad intentions, but were taken care of either by Houston's own criminal element or the authorities. Personally, I had no problems with the evacuees coming here because of the storm. For many of them, Houston is a blessing because of the opportunities here that don't exist back in NO. You did what was best for your family and I respect that.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I remember when some Katrina evacuees came to Houston after the hurricane destroyed New Orleans, and as a result, the violent crime skyrocketed. Some folks were saying Houston's violent crime was already rising before the storm, others say the crime increase is a result of some evacuees with bad intent. Truthfully, N.O. criminals tried to get established in some Houston hoods, but were shut down fast. The highest presence of evacuees were SW Houston and North Houston, mostly in or around Greenspoint. Houston authorities had zero tolerance towards the havoc some evacuees were causing, so those NO evacuees ran back to New Orleans. Unlike Louisiana, Texas criminal justice system is tough. There's no 60-day law in Texas where you commit a crime and are back on the streets if no charges are brought forth in 60 days. As stated before, many former NO evacuees came to Houston, got established and are living their best life.
You do know that according to our US Constitution defendants are entitled to "reasonable" bail and it is unlawful for the Authorities to hold a criminal suspect for more than 48 hours without charges ?

So there should not be people in any state in jail for 60 days without charges.

With that said the whole Katrina fiasco just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You do know that according to our US Constitution defendants are entitled to "reasonable" bail and it is unlawful for the Authorities to hold a criminal suspect for more than 48 hours without charges ?

So there should not be people in any state in jail for 60 days without charges.

With that said the whole Katrina fiasco just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.
I do know, but you know most times, states have their own laws dealing with criminal justice, so just because the Constitution says one thing, doesn't mean each state will abide by the Constitution.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:52 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Quote:
I do know, but you know most times, states have their own laws dealing with criminal justice, so just because the Constitution says one thing, doesn't mean each state will abide by the Constitution.
If you know of anybody that has been held in jail for over 2 days in any jurisdiction you should contact the ACLU immediately !

Old 01-23-2021, 11:38 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
How can we get this thread deleted?

Old 01-24-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Simple, don't read it.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:00 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Quote:
Simple, don't read it.
Ngl, this post is kinda dumb. But Acres has a point. If you don't like it, just don't participate. Better chance of it losing view that way.

But seriously, whats the point this post is trying to make? Did Katrina have a bigger impact on Houston or Nola? Whoever has to even think about that needs to be checked. The crime rate in Houston may have had some effect from the NOLA exodus, but not a dominant factor. It doesn't explain the nationwide crime spike. When you go through two recessions (08 and 2020), things change....]

PS, I'm only shaming this particular post. Love some of the other insight you bring here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston