Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,725,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah I was gonna say that. DFW can't be a reason here, since IAH is just about as connected. This could be a reason that DFW gets more than Austin, but not Houston.
And just to be clear, those numbers in the image you posted are only for international connectivity.

DFW is definitely the clear leader for domestic connectivity, although again IAH is no slouch (both are in the top 10).

Source:

https://www.oag.com/oag-megahubs-2019
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 11:40 AM

9,931 posts, read 6,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
And just to be clear, those numbers in the image you posted are only for international connectivity.

DFW is definitely the clear leader for domestic connectivity, although again IAH is no slouch (both are in the top 10).

Source:

https://www.oag.com/oag-megahubs-2019
No those numbers are for both combined. Which is why DFW is just a tad bit ahead of IAH on that spectrum. Otherwise, IAH would've been a bit ahead.

Edit: Just looked at the list you posted. it shows the same data.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
No those numbers are for both combined. Which is why DFW is just a tad bit ahead of IAH on that spectrum. Otherwise, IAH would've been a bit ahead.

Edit: Just looked at the list you posted. it shows the same data.
Right, and that data is only for international connectivity.

There's a separate list in that same link for domestic connectivity. The index for DFW is #3 at 250 and the index for IAH is #9 at 102.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Right, and that data is only for international connectivity.

There's a separate list for domestic connectivity. DFW is #3 at 250 and IAH is #9 at #102.
No, the top list is for both international and domestic combined.

"highest ratio of possible scheduled international connections to the number of destinations served by the airport".

As in ammount of destinations an international flight can serve including those at home. Were it international connectivity alone, Dubai would be #1. And neither IAH nor DFW would have any business being in the top 25.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No, the top list is for both international and domestic combined.

"highest ratio of possible scheduled international connections to the number of destinations served by the airport".

As in ammount of destinations an international flight can serve including those at home. Were it international connectivity alone, Dubai would be #1. And neither IAH nor DFW would have any business being in the top 25.
I think we're talking past each other

Yes, domestic flights were factored in the calculation to determine the connectivity index, but the index itself is only used to measure international connectivity between airports (that was my point).

Old 02-09-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I think we're talking past each other

Yes, domestic flights were factored in the calculation to determine the connectivity index, but the index itself is only used to measure international connectivity between airports.
Right, so a flight from London to DFW where all can you connect including El Paso. In this metric, domestic connectivity is just as important

Old 02-09-2021, 12:07 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,038,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Well I'm from East Texas so I'm not bound by either city. I can objectively look at both from the outside and form an opinion based on that. You're from Dallas and some of these posters are Houstonians so their could be a little bias on both ends if you ask me. And if you actually go back on my initial post to you I agreed with majority of the things you stated. DFW has more advantages than Houston which is why companies are relocating there and why the city is growing faster than Houston. I don't deny that one bit.

I just think the little things you speak on has no influence on why companies choose to relocate. That's it. Your claims are based off feelings and anecdotal evidence and nothing more. To me when you emphasize those little things that sounds like homerism to me.

When it comes to analyzing cities I'm probably one of most fair posters in this section. I've been accused of being Pro Dallas/ Pro Houston/ Dallas Hater/ Houston Hater and whatever else good or bad you can think of. I just don't think any city is perfect and short of criticism.
It's unbelievable this "discussion" is still raging!

I would agree with your comments above. You are fair and I thought you were moving to Atlanta? Or was it DFW?

To your point though... #1, companies only care about one thing, the bottom line. They really couldn't care less about all this other stuff that people perceive as benefits to employees. Companies move to save costs in people and real estate. They might move for some strategic reasons (i.e., closer to suppliers, etc.) but in general the moves are to make more profit. In some cases companies move because the CEO is from a particular area. The airport may play a factor (e.g., when AT&T moved from San Antonio that was the argument they used).

It wouldn't be the DFW "airport" per se. It's the central location of DFW itself. The airport enhances that central location within the U.S.

Even though some people say Houston is "trying" now to get relocations I don't believe this. In general Houston and DFW do not compete for the same dollar. Show me an example where Houston and DFW competed for a business relocation (other than Amazon where everybody and their brother submitted a bid, and not counting sporting events).

Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,637,832 times
Quote:
As far as airports, it is true that DFW has better domestic connectivity, largely because it's the home base for American Airlines. That said, Houston is by no means a slouch in this category, and if anything, Houston's international connectivity (which I tend to think is more important to F500 companies) is practically on par with DFW.

As far as suburbs, granted the towns in/around DFW are more organized since they're all incorporated. But again, Houston is no slouch in these categories either. Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, Spring, The Woodlands, etc. all have excellent schools and a comparable quality of life to some of Dallas' best suburbs.

Point being, I'm not buying the idea of DFW having a better airport or better suburbs as the main reasons for attracting more business relocations.
I never said Houston is a slouch in any of those things. The combination of those things are an advantage though. I mean headquarters are relocating in droves to North Texas burbs like Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney. The fact that these burbs are uniform and in close proximity to each other makes it that much more attractive for headquarters to relocate there. DFW location is an advantage and it's uniformity is an advantage among other advantages.

Sugar Land and The Woodlands are very nice burbs but hold no candle to a super burb such as Plano and maybe even Frisco. The North burbs in Dallas are have a system of connectivity that strengths the area. The Woodlands is on an Island basically. I live in the The Woodlands and Spring is not a complimentary suburb to the area. The newly Springwood Village could be that complimentary piece to The Woodlands but it's still in it's infancy stage but Spring nah.

Cypress has some nice schools and nice subdivisions but being an unincorporated area it's kind of all over the place. And even in Cypress where's the economic hubs in the unincorporated area that can rival the North burbs of Dallas? Katy is another one. I personally feel like Greater Katy is the best Houston has to offer when it comes to that connectivity of great schools/quality of life/ infrastructure and growth in a large concentrated area. But like Cypress the best parts of Katy are unincorporated so where does it begin and end?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-texas-suburbs

As far as the airport. I never said DFW is a better airport. I said it's a busier airport and you can get to most cities in the country in 3 hours or less which is an advantage. Not to mention it's centrally located in the metroplex.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It's unbelievable this "discussion" is still raging!

I would agree with your comments above. You are fair and I thought you were moving to Atlanta? Or was it DFW?

To your point though... #1, companies only care about one thing, the bottom line. They really couldn't care less about all this other stuff that people perceive as benefits to employees. Companies move to save costs in people and real estate. They might move for some strategic reasons (i.e., closer to suppliers, etc.) but in general the moves are to make more profit. In some cases companies move because the CEO is from a particular area. The airport may play a factor (e.g., when AT&T moved from San Antonio that was the argument they used).

It wouldn't be the DFW "airport" per se. It's the central location of DFW itself. The airport enhances that central location within the U.S.

Even though some people say Houston is "trying" now to get relocations I don't believe this. In general Houston and DFW do not compete for the same dollar. Show me an example where Houston and DFW competed for a business relocation (other than Amazon where everybody and their brother submitted a bid, and not counting sporting events).
There’s evidence that your last paragraph isn’t true. The HPE move was a bid submit it with combined efforts from the city and rice university. You are right that they don’t compete for the same dollar but Houston actually has made move that they wouldn’t have before in terms of relocation in the last few years. You’re right that they didn’t before, and that’s exactly what people are saying.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 5 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,539,473 times
Quote:
As far as airports, it is true that DFW has better domestic connectivity, largely because it's the home base for American Airlines. That said, Houston is by no means a slouch in this category, and if anything, Houston's international connectivity (which I tend to think is more important to F500 companies) is practically on par with DFW.

As far as suburbs, granted the towns in/around DFW are more organized since they're all incorporated. But again, Houston is no slouch in these categories either. Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, Spring, The Woodlands, etc. all have excellent schools and a comparable quality of life to some of Dallas' best suburbs.

Point being, I'm not buying the idea of DFW having a better airport or better suburbs as the main reasons for attracting more business relocations.
Domestic connectivity is more important than international connectivity to almost all corporations. But youre right that its not as if Houston is a slouch here. DFW is, IMO, more easily accessible for its metro area than IAH is mainly because of the roads that go in and out of it.

Its hard to beat DFW in overall connectivity but its not like Houston is far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston