Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Ouch! Seems like there's not much straight people left
Any recommendations for the straight areas in Houston?
Get a grip.

The overwhelming majority is still heterosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 05:38 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Get a grip.

The overwhelming majority is still heterosexual.
Meh. If straight white conservatives want to live in their own areas, let them. It's kinda weird how he's intentionally doing it to prove a point, but just like I don't living in areas that are "too white", I don't mind if someone likes living in areas that are that way. If anything, it makes it easier among communities to live with each other.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:11 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,457 times
I've lived in Houston most my life gay; it's not bad anywhere in the city or suburbs really, at least in my experience. It's a big city; you'll both do fine. Welcome :].

Old 02-10-2021, 11:27 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas044 View Post
My bf and I are considering a move out of our home state of South Dakota, and into Houston. There's a couple of reasons, including better LGBT acceptance, and that we found potential jobs in Greater Greenspoint and Downtown. We would be looking to rent for under $1,800/mo for a 1 br. We both like the warmer temperatures and loved the aesthetic of the city and the friendliness of the people. Any advice on where we should live?

Which areas of Houston in our budget are the most lgbt friendly? Do not give us any crap about how LGBT people are accepted everywhere, that it's not a big deal, etc. My bf was kicked out onto the street by his conservative Christian parents at age 12, and was homeless for months before ending up in a foster home. That is a very common occurrence and a huge percentage of homeless youth are LGBT. I was beat to within an inch of my life last year at a bar in Sioux Falls, SD. So we're looking for somewhere that LGBT people are integrated into the community, a place that is liberal, diverse, and accepting of all different types of people.

Note:
All conservatives are not homophobic, but the vast majority of homophobes do identify as conservative, and the vast majority of LGBT people are liberal as a result. Therefore we need a fiercely socially liberal neighborhood. I am not a bigot for not wanting to live amongst people who have harmed me and those I care about in the past. Thank you.
If u want to save on rent , live neAr gunspoint ( just kidding. Its a stereotypucal name due to bring a black majority area) itself. Commute to airport from mo trose or heights is nt terrible but still takes time.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:54 PM

First LGBT mayor in a major city in the USA, one of the biggest pride events in the world, as mentioned the historic "gayborhoods". Houston definitely made its mark as a very accepting city.

At the end of the day, Houston is in the south all LGBT friendly cities in the south have that stigma as you enter the rural areas. Houston is certainly San Francisco but then again very few places in the world are in this regard.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The Heights and Westbury have been hot spots since gays were a major element of the housing renovation and resuscitation that started in those areas in the 1990s.
I live in the area. Technically I live in the Montrose super neighborhood, but I'm closer to the River Oaks Shopping Center, so I'm in that perfect in between area between RO, Montrose, Upper Kirby and the Heights.

So here's my general feel after living in this area for a while. From my day to day perspective, Montrose is much more than just a gayborhood, but its gay history is certainly seen and felt there through. Much more gay bars there than in the rest of Houston, and 90% of the times I hear from my friends who are gay/lesbian going out, they almost always end up in Montrose at some point in the night. But the area also has a lot of generic places. Katz's Deli for example is one of the hottest post-night out restaurants in all of Houston. It's position between Uptown and Midtown/Downtown also keep many mainstream crowds flowing through. But it still keeps is LGBT identity through its bars, art, community and history.

The Heights honestly doesn't have the same "gay feel" that Montrose does, but its white liberal politics keep it having that accepting feel. The Heights bars and clubs are actually known for being straight singles hot spots but as mention, it's an accepting, progressive crowd and you still run into plenty of LGBT hanging out and feeling invited. Were a conservative, openly homophobic male to enter, he wouldn't be welcomed through the Heights bars and clubs.

Can't tell you about the areas history, but this is my overall analysis after having been here for almost a year.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:18 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If u want to save on rent , live neAr gunspoint ( just kidding. Its a stereotypucal name due to bring a black majority area) itself. Commute to airport from mo trose or heights is nt terrible but still takes time.
I wouldn't say it's all stereotypical. Gunspoint fully earns its reputation. Just use one of the gas stations in the area or go to the mall and see what happens.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:22 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Meh. If straight white conservatives want to live in their own areas, let them. It's kinda weird how he's intentionally doing it to prove a point, but just like I don't living in areas that are "too white", I don't mind if someone likes living in areas that are that way. If anything, it makes it easier among communities to live with each other.
People who ask what areas are good for whites/straights/Christians are motivated more by 'I can't stand to be around their kind' instead of 'I want to be around my own kind'. So 1/3 or even 1/10 of 'their kind' is too much.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
People who ask what areas are good for whites/straights/Christians are motivated more by 'I can't stand to be around their kind' instead of 'I want to be around my own kind'. So 1/3 or even 1/10 of 'their kind' is too much.
These days, I actually think their motivation is more "If they get their own neighborhoods, why can't I get my own?", which is kind of weird considering there are plenty to go around, but hey I'll gladly point white conservatives to their areas.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I have no issue with anyone wishing to live amongst their own kind. Everyone nationality/ethnicity/race prefers being amongst their own on the whole.

I do have an issue with white people crying that there is no place for them anymore when most of the country is still their domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston