Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,151 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston from Ohio and are considering making an offer on a home in the Lakemont community - would love opinions on this neighborhood. We have two preschoolers so quality schools and community safety, events, and amenities are most important. We will initially be working remotely through the move but will eventually look for jobs locally. We would be most comfortable around $350k and are concerned with resale value as we would likely plan to move to a "forever" home in a couple years once we are more established in the area. We really liked the Cinco Ranch/Seven Meadows area when we visited but didn't look anywhere immediately south of the Grand Parkway. We did drive through Pecan Grove/Aliana/Harvest Green and felt like it was too far out/rural and had concerns with the prison proximity. We really loved the feel of Kingwood but it seemed like that area may be limited for job opportunities? DH is in civil and architectural drafting and I have worked in corporate finance and banking. Appreciate any thoughts or guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 PM

102 posts, read 160,875 times
Personally, I would not live anywhere south of the Westpark Tollway and east of 99. For resale value, buy a property in the Katy ISD school district. You are getting top notch and rigorous schools in that area.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:23 PM

569 posts, read 1,083,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamj View Post
Personally,I would not live anywhere south of the Westpark Tollway and east of 99. For resale value, buy a property in the Katy ISD school district. You are getting top notch and rigorous schools in that area.
I second this. I know a friend who bought in this subdivision. She laments that they live closer to the KISD schools for middle and high school (quite a drive to Briscoe Jr High & Foster High-they are in Lamar Consolidated school district). But when they bought 10+ years ago prices were quite low. For $350K, I would stick with KISD even if it is *gasp* (for sarcasm) an older home. Many people are simply obsessed with buying new IMO. Keep in mind though that the market is very hot right now and home inventories are rather low. Take your time-don’t rush to just buy something. Even with the current market you cannot count on making money or even break-even, less realtor fees, on a suburbia house in the greater Houston area. 2 years is too short of a timetable to just buy and then try to sell. Rent where you want to live and save for your forever home.

If you have to buy, check out Green Trails Park, particularly the sections near Greenhouse Rd closer to Kingsland. This is close to 2 Park and Rides (for mainly downtown commuters). Very nice homes, beautiful oaks trees throughout. Cinco Ranch Greenway Village (just east of 99 between Highland Knolls and Cinco Ranch Blvd has the elementary school right in the neighborhood. It is a very nice community in your price range. Kelliwood Gardens, Kelliwood Place, Kelliwood Enclave, Kelliwood Terrace and Kelliwood Pointe might be worth a look.

Of the areas further south, Pecan Grove is the oldest, but it is also most shielded from the prison concerns and shielded from the “lesser” Houston neighborhoods that are near Aliana (for example) and it is closer to 90A and US 59. This gives you easy access to the Sugar Land area and any employers close by. It does not have a good Park & Ride access as the closest I believe it is still the West Bellfort Park and Ride which is in Houston.

The Houston area is way too large to suddenly commit to a home purchase without a job. Unfortunately $350k does not buy a single family home with a yard in a central location with excellent neighborhood (non-magnet) schools.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,364 times
The only real issue I'd se with Lakemont is that depending on where you end up working, it could end up being a very long commute. Katy ISD is one of the best in Houston. Klein, The Woodlands, and CyFair are as well. I grew up in Katy and I live in Klein now with my kids - I'd recommend both 100%. I've been doing real estate in Houston for a bit and one of the main reasons people end up moving is because they switched jobs and Houston is so massive that commute times vary widely. If you're already working with a realtor, make sure they are stalking the "coming soon" listings - this market is rough on buyers I hope you find something you love!

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...-opinions.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston