Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
About ten years or so ago, our MUD in northwest Houston (near but not inside Jersey Village) connected into the City of Houston's water system to mitigate the subsidence of Jersey Village caused by pumping groundwater out of the aquifer below.

Our MUD now has the capacity to switch back and forth between aquifer and city water, so our neighborhood water was restored fairly quickly.

I thought anyone was using surface water by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
I'm not sure I understand the question, but our City of Houston interconnect is surface water. Our MUD however dates back thirty years now and for most of that time pumped groundwater from the northwest area aquifer, which contributed to subsidence (sinking) of Jersey Village and significant flooding in that neighborhood. We were required to join City of Houston for that reason but still maintain all of the infrastructure in place.

The neighborhood is still under a boil water notice, which is a TCEQ requirement whenever water pressure drops below a certain point until it can be retested. But, water is flowing.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the question, but our City of Houston interconnect is surface water. Our MUD however dates back thirty years now and for most of that time pumped groundwater from the northwest area aquifer, which contributed to subsidence (sinking) of Jersey Village and significant flooding in that neighborhood. We were required to join City of Houston for that reason but still maintain all of the infrastructure in place.

The neighborhood is still under a boil water notice, which is a TCEQ requirement whenever water pressure drops below a certain point until it can be retested. But, water is flowing.

About 20 years ago my MUD imposed a hefty surcharge (bill went from $25 to $40 overnight) due to mandates to convert the entire system from ground water to surface water. As I recall it was an region-wide mandate. I am just surprised that any MUD is still pumping from aquifers.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:09 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
Per DH (who has served on a MUD board of directors), the MUD was required to curtail groundwater consumption. The significant up-front infrastructure costs of connecting to the City of Houston's network were offset by credits area MUDs receive for using surface water versus aquifer, making it more expensive to pump aquifer water and further discouraging the practice. But, it is not prohibited.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Per DH (who has served on a MUD board of directors), the MUD was required to curtail groundwater consumption. The significant up-front infrastructure costs of connecting to the City of Houston's network were offset by credits area MUDs receive for using surface water versus aquifer, making it more expensive to pump aquifer water and further discouraging the practice. But, it is not prohibited.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:49 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
They've been working 24/7 to get the backup generators for the pumps thawed out, according to the spokesperson. When the generators are up, the pumps can run.
The generators need to be thawed out?
Strange. Sounds like a lame excuse.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,992 times
Still need to drip water next two nights. At least I'm planning to do that.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:09 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
I hope we have someone knowledgeable about plumbing issues here.

I turned off the water main next to the house on Tuesday morning, after waking up to a freezing house. I think the power went out at 2am. At the time water was not coming out of any of the faucets. I left the house with all the faucets turned on at dripping.

The power came back at my house only this morning so I returned to assess. When I turned on both tub faucets at the master bath, which is right next to the exterior wall, it keeps trickling cold water even though I thought I turned off the main switch. It kept doing that for over two hours, when I left the house.

Another thing that concerns me is that nothing is coming out of any hot water faucet, not even a drip. I went to the attic and the water heater seems to be on.

Should I be worried? Do I need to do anything to keep the water heater working?

Old 02-18-2021, 08:36 PM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
The generators need to be thawed out?
Strange. Sounds like a lame excuse.
I can see it happening if control lines had moisture in them and it froze. Or, the diesel could have become too thick to flow, or any one of a number of issues related to the cold. I've seen those scenarios happen before. I have no idea if that's what happened to the City, I just passed on what the spokesperson said.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I can see it happening if control lines had moisture in them and it froze. Or, the diesel could have become too thick to flow, or any one of a number of issues related to the cold. I've seen those scenarios happen before. I have no idea if that's what happened to the City, I just passed on what the spokesperson said.

I hate it when officials deliver vague explanations and no one digs deeper. Reporters don't ask tough questions any more, they just relay the propaganda.

If they had started the generators Sunday afternoon when it was still 40 degrees they probably wouldn't have "froze" up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston