Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 07:44 PM

91 posts, read 76,212 times

Advertisements

What service are you signing up for ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 05:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbud View Post
What service are you signing up for ?
I suggest a service like Energy Ogre. They charge you $10/month, and they do all the work/research for you. They find the best deal at each renewal time, based on your usage history. Most people aren't aware that all the different plans you see have dramatically different rates based on usage. If you sign up for a cheap plan, that has a "X" cap, and go over it, the price on those extra electrons might be 2-3 times higher than your normal rate. That's one way they make money. Or if you don't use enough, you pay a "$250 usage fee" or some such nonsense.

I used to spend a couple hours every time I had to renew, at that Power to Choose site. So confusing. Now I let Energy Ogre do it. And once you sign up, they keep track of your usage.

I've been pleased so far (year and a half).

PS: This is NOTHING like Griddy. Energy Ogre doesn't actually sell you the electricity. They find it, but the account will be under your name, at wherever (Gexa, Spark, or wherever they find the best deal).

Old 03-02-2021, 08:35 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I suggest a service like Energy Ogre. They charge you $10/month, and they do all the work/research for you. They find the best deal at each renewal time, based on your usage history. Most people aren't aware that all the different plans you see have dramatically different rates based on usage. If you sign up for a cheap plan, that has a "X" cap, and go over it, the price on those extra electrons might be 2-3 times higher than your normal rate. That's one way they make money. Or if you don't use enough, you pay a "$250 usage fee" or some such nonsense.

I used to spend a couple hours every time I had to renew, at that Power to Choose site. So confusing. Now I let Energy Ogre do it. And once you sign up, they keep track of your usage.

PS: This is NOTHING like Griddy. Energy Ogre doesn't actually sell you the electricity. They find it, but the account will be under your name, at wherever (Gexa, Spark, or wherever they find the best deal).
Power To Choose lets you filter those plans out with minimum usage fees/credits and tiered pricing. It's really pretty simple to find a plan there without any "gotchas". $10/month seems a little excessive to pay a middleman to find a plan for you.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Power To Choose lets you filter those plans out with minimum usage fees/credits and tiered pricing. It's really pretty simple to find a plan there without any "gotchas". $10/month seems a little excessive to pay a middleman to find a plan for you.
The challenge is most people aren't familiar with their usage, to the detail that is required to find the absolute best deal on Power to Choose. And I find PtC ain't that easy. Too many plans, too many little variables. Sure, you can filter some items. But it's challenging to get all the rate grids lined up.

I saved 35% in 2020, over 2019. I switched to Energy Ogre in late 2019.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:24 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Krugman argues today that we have too much choice. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/o...gtype=Homepage

I find it all exhausting. I found a reasonably-priced plan on TXU that uses all renewable sources and works well for my needs. I'm not going to spend any more time researching to try to save a few bucks a month.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
There's quite a bit of evidence that the PTC site is manipulated/gamed by the energy marketers. So for someone who doesn't want to mess with the games, and likes a company that (in theory) I pay to work for ME, not them, Energy Ogre is a good deal.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Power2Choose seems to have been designed to present the illusion of comparison shopping while making it nearly impossible to compare apples to apples.

I used to use Centerpoint's TrueCost which was also linked to your meter and calculated average prices based on your actual usage with all fees included. But alas, the site is no more and it wouldn't surprise me if the REP's didn't pressure them to shut it down.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Krugman argues today that we have too much choice. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/o...gtype=Homepage

I find it all exhausting. I found a reasonably-priced plan on TXU that uses all renewable sources and works well for my needs. I'm not going to spend any more time researching to try to save a few bucks a month.

All this annual effort to find the best "plan" and it doesn't return us either lower rates or better reliability than a dozen under states. Let's hope they don't get the idea to "deregulate" water so we can annually shop for the best water plan.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:42 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I've done lots of research on this and I've had good luck with Discount Power
from 2018-2020 I was paying about 8c/kwH
I had to renew for 3 years last year and now I pay 10c/KwH

but I've had many people tell me that I'm getting a really good deal

Power to choose has an option to download all their information
I downloaded to an excel file
I have a few tricks to manipulated data in excel files that helped me narrow down what was the best company based on the criteria I was using.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've done lots of research on this and I've had good luck with Discount Power
from 2018-2020 I was paying about 8c/kwH
I had to renew for 3 years last year and now I pay 10c/KwH

but I've had many people tell me that I'm getting a really good deal

Power to choose has an option to download all their information
I downloaded to an excel file
I have a few tricks to manipulated data in excel files that helped me narrow down what was the best company based on the criteria I was using.

But isn't it silly that you have to do all that? I've had Discount twice in the past ten years. The problem is these REP's seem to bounce back and forth between offering up low rates to attract subscribers then jacking up rates to rake in the profits. I'll research and sign up for about 10 cents then their "special" renewal rate will be 14 cents. And I let my plan expire once and realized three months later I was paying like 22 cents.

Frontier was good a few times. Constellation had it's turn. Currently on Windrose. The bottom line net bill divided by total kwh is 10.6/kwh. It's nice to pay a penny less if you can but the important thing is to stay alert and not let yourself get gouged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston