Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

Has any one built a home with Westin Homes specifically in Jordan Ranch? Did you have a good experience? How was your design center meeting?

Also, are their inventory homes good quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 20,090 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...dan-ranch.html

Here's a post about Westin home in Jordan Ranch. I've heard bad things about them.... I do love their houses though. Very beautiful design. We are moving to Jordan Ranch in a month but didn't build with Westin.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,789 times
Westin Homes are beautiful...their design is unique and we always get tons of compliments on our home. They are known for the famous princess curved staircase which makes a stunning entrance. Also have many upgrades included like arches, 10ft doors, pillars, etc. They make a quality home for a reasonable cost. We have not had any issues with the quality of the build so far - we bought inventory in Katy and have lived in it for 13 years now. Would definitely recommend Westin.

Also would suggest you do an inspection even on a new house - that's what we did. Better to be safe every time.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:11 AM

186 posts, read 208,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiimom2010 View Post
Also would suggest you do an inspection even on a new house - that's what we did. Better to be safe every time.
I absolutely suggest this too. Also to add, not only just at the end. I would highly recommend doing stage inspections. Some things are hard to catch after the build is complete and they can be detrimental issues later on.

One of the issues mentioned in that linked thread was the attic floor not being completely sealed off so hot attic air can flow down into walls. This causes big mold issues. A friend of mine is currently in a buy-back lawsuit on a house she built in 2020 with this same problem, as well as other numerous issues, including structural. The mold growth in the home was so bad she and her family were getting sick and had to move out. Apparently, there are multiple other houses in her same neighborhood that are in builder lawsuits for same issues. She only had an inspection done at the end of the build. A lot of the issues they are having would most likely have been caught if they had done stage inspections throughout the build.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:30 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I heard many years back that Texas required a three part, staged inspection for all new construction. These inspection docs were among those that came at closing with a semi-custom build in 2011. I can't seem to find anything via Goggle that actually spells out the requirement. That said, a tract builder will almost certainly employ their own inspectors... so you'd probably want to take that into consideration. I know the private inspector hired by the builders of my old place missed some elementary things, but also that I hired that same guy myself for a previous house... so just because you have 'your own guy' doesn't mean they're gonna find everything.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:28 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I heard many years back that Texas required a three part, staged inspection for all new construction. These inspection docs were among those that came at closing with a semi-custom build in 2011. I can't seem to find anything via Goggle that actually spells out the requirement. That said, a tract builder will almost certainly employ their own inspectors... so you'd probably want to take that into consideration. I know the private inspector hired by the builders of my old place missed some elementary things, but also that I hired that same guy myself for a previous house... so just because you have 'your own guy' doesn't mean they're gonna find everything.

At this time the State of Texas does not require inspections on new homes under general financing methods (HUD/FHA/VA is different). Each municipality is different in their inspection requirements. Many if not most counties will require a three phase inspection approach (pre-pour, pre-drywall, and final) for homes in unincorporated areas where they issue building permits. The counties mostly are not concerned if it is a Builder hiring the Inspector or the home buyer hiring the Inspector for the three phases. I have also not heard of any county that actually reviews and proactively acts on any of these inspections meaning the requirement is just for show!

Given what I have seen over the last 20 years I highly recommend any buyer hire their own independent Inspector to perform at least the basic three phases of inspection (pre-pour, pre-drywall, and final). The Builder's here will hire their own Inspectors/Engineers and their reports are what most municipalities rely on. The Municipalities will typically only do a very spot inspection since they do not have the manpower to perform thorough inspections of every home being built. With this system what you have is "The Fox Guarding The Hen House" approach to inspections on new builds. Again given what I have seen a lot of hens have wound up on the Fox's dinner plate!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: