Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How were prices at the nursery? Normal or jacked up?
Normal actually. I had perennials in there too and so I kept the receipt from last year to be sure to get the same ones and the prices were about the same. I also called them up before heading out to ask them what their inventory looked like as I did not want to waste my time going there. Sure enough, it looked normal, but plants seemed to be younger/smaller. That said, I'd suggest that if you are certain you want to purchase plants, you might want to do it now while their stock is normal. It is getting warmer and people are beginning to go out and purchase... 'don't want to repeat what happened with CPVC plumbing parts days after the freeze... nearly impossible to find any. 'Not saying plants are the same, 'just saying don't gamble if you are not a gambling type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 11:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Trees are coming back strong. I have some massive Live Oaks (100+ years old) that lost massive amounts of leaves. They are already putting on their spring pollen events.

My Indian Hawthorne seems to be okay. I brought most of my Aloes & Succulents in the garage, they're ok. I left a couple outside (too big to move), and they died.

Roses are already coming back. Big time greenery all over. Both antiques and Knock-Outs.

Concerns & questions:

1) I have a row of Dwarf Pittosporum. They (mostly) lost all their leaves. I've watered well, and fertilized. Ay hope for a return to life?

2) Texas Sage. Big ones, 20 years old. Same as #1. Any hope?

3) A beautiful Rosemary bush, also 20 years old, huge and full. Never seen one so big. It's now brown stems. Hope?

My question is, for those of you familiar with the three I mentioned above, is (1) do you think they survived the freeze, and (2) do I cut them back or leave them. If cut back, cut way back, or how far?

Thanks in advance to all you gardeners out there!

Old 03-14-2021, 12:15 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I have lost rosemary to a freeze before, so if it looks bad, it might be a goner. Our rosemary made it this time but I did cover it.

I know everyone is saying not to cut stuff back but I can't resist. I've cut a lot back. I've always done gardening by attrition anyway; if you can't handle my aggression or occasional neglect, you're not the plant for me!

Old 03-14-2021, 02:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
One of my peach trees has started to bloom. Another one is not blooming, but it just started to produce leaves.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:30 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Many things are budding here in GA, but some things are very late to break dormancy...hosta is one that comes to mind. I need to keep dh away from everything with the Roundup, until the perennials have a chance to peek out. The azaleas are starting to bloom.

I had a beautiful salvia that I planted in the fall. It finally died back in January, but had new leaves coming a few weeks ago. I watered it after planting a few things near it, and it seems to have died. I keep hoping to see a sign of life again.

We’ve had a clump of banana trees at the corner of the patio for several years. So far, there is no new growth, so I think they might be toast. I’ll definitely get a new one, since I like the tropical feel they provide.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
The only plants I covered this freeze were my two camellias which were already in bloom. They did fine although they lost their buds. I covered my hanging basket boston ferns on the front porch with a sheet (on the ground) and they surprisingly survived with about 1/3 of their fronds remaining green.

Meyer Lemon Tree (in ground for about 10 years) - leaves are still brown but hoping it will bounce back.

Grapefruit Tree in large container pot - same as lemon tree; hoping it will bounce back

Texas Sage - lost all its leaves but looks like it might come back.

Loropetalums - looked damaged but now seem to be bouncing back.

All the crinum lilies and amaryllis turned to mush (which I cut off) and now all are bouncing back.

Waiting for final verdict on Oleanders. I had just planted them last year so not sure if their roots were strong enough. I expect Hibiscus and Bougainvillea to all come back. Not sure about my gardenia.

My biggest casualty was my indoor plants. I lost about 6 orchids. Their leaves just couldn't withstand the cold. And I lost an African Violet that I had for several years.

I take responsibility for the indoor plants. I should have moved them to the kitchen area where I kept the stove on during the day. I was too busy (and stressed) trying to stay warm myself!

Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
For those waiting to cut back...I would go ahead and cut back now. We should be in the clear for any late spring freezes. Cut back as much as you'd like, but as a general rule at least cut back until you notice green in the limbs.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:37 PM

176 posts, read 95,730 times
I think we are not supposed to trim/prune whatever, any of them until we are clear that we aren't getting another winter blast between now and Easter.

Dude on TV news said it wasn't good for the plants if we trim and then winter hits again.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:36 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
I am hoping our Irish tropical, Phil O'Dendron, comes back. The Boston ferns are brown, but not mushy. The butterfly plant has come back from being all black, but this freeze may have been too much. The vines on the fences look toasted, as does the ficus that crept over from the house behind us. No great loss if it's gone, I am tired of cleaning up the figs, which aren't edible.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I am hoping our Irish tropical, Phil O'Dendron, comes back. The Boston ferns are brown, but not mushy. The butterfly plant has come back from being all black, but this freeze may have been too much. The vines on the fences look toasted, as does the ficus that crept over from the house behind us. No great loss if it's gone, I am tired of cleaning up the figs, which aren't edible.

What are the vines? I see common ivy like vines look freeze damaged all over. Do we think they will eventually come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston