Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 AM

35 posts, read 60,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's not a black or white, one equates the other, concept. You can send your kids to public or private schools, and you can be involved or not in your kids education. They are not mutually exclusive, not correlated.

In our case, it was our deep involvement in our kids education (while in public school) that led us to realize we needed to do something different. We were, if anything, *more* involved once they were in private school.

But that's just us, and is anecdotal. YMMV.
well said. much better than my snarky response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 12:21 PM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
Responding to the OP, it is amazing how so many people on this forum completely miss the purpose of religious schools. That's how we get people debating between ROBS and AOC or a Catholic school - they are missing the point entirely and would really be better off focusing on secular options.

TWCA is a very nice college prep school with good facilities and practically all the kids go to college. The Woodlands High School is a very nice school with even better facilities and the overwhelming majority of their graduates go on to college. The biggest difference is that public schools cannot offer religious instruction. People who choose TWCA over public school or even secular private schools do so because they want the Christian curriculum, culture and close-knit family environment. Its not only about finding the school with the highest average SAT scores at the lowest cost.

I struggle to find a really good analogy, but its as if somebody complained about the cost of a nice seafood restaurant compared to a nearby burger joint, when the burger joint had French fries that were every bit as good at a lower price. The point is to get the fish that is not even on the menu at the cheaper burger joint!

Old 04-08-2021, 12:44 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Responding to the OP, it is amazing how so many people on this forum completely miss the purpose of religious schools.
I would disagree. At the two church-based private schools our kids went to, very few of the fellow parents I was friends with cared that much about the religious aspect. Many could not have cared less. A few did, but certainly they were in the minority. I'm not saying they were heathens, just that getting a top-notch education was the primary focus. A religious education wouldn't even have been in the top five. Getting into a good college, being able to compete in sports, and for some, the prestige of a private school. Religion just wasn't a big factor.

Perhaps in some schools it is, not the two our kids went to. And if you are only referring to TWCA, then forget everything I just typed.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:44 PM

86 posts, read 132,892 times
Quote:
Responding to the OP, it is amazing how so many people on this forum completely miss the purpose of religious schools. That's how we get people debating between ROBS and AOC or a Catholic school - they are missing the point entirely and would really be better off focusing on secular options.

TWCA is a very nice college prep school with good facilities and practically all the kids go to college. The Woodlands High School is a very nice school with even better facilities and the overwhelming majority of their graduates go on to college. The biggest difference is that public schools cannot offer religious instruction. People who choose TWCA over public school or even secular private schools do so because they want the Christian curriculum, culture and close-knit family environment. Its not only about finding the school with the highest average SAT scores at the lowest cost.

I struggle to find a really good analogy, but its as if somebody complained about the cost of a nice seafood restaurant compared to a nearby burger joint, when the burger joint had French fries that were every bit as good at a lower price. The point is to get the fish that is not even on the menu at the cheaper burger joint!

I agree with you -a lot of parents seem to want to assume everything at a private school is something that can get at a public school. They just assume that parents who have sent their child(ren) to private schools are wasting money or trying to keep up with the Joneses. One thing that we found was public schools were more concerned about tiptoeing around teaching character values so as not to offend someone. The other thing that I think most parents don't get is how stressed teachers at "great" public schools are. The teachers at our children's private schools had smaller class sizes, less materials and tests to review, weren't required to teach to the test, didn't have to take on additional responsibilities without commensurate stipends and agreements. We had friends whose children were at Pin Oak and trying to get teacher recommendation forms completed by one of the veteran teachers there who refused because she said she was overburdened enough by all that the school required of her. The best part was the school administration agreed.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:44 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasb713 View Post
I agree with you -a lot of parents seem to want to assume everything at a private school is something that can get at a public school. They just assume that parents who have sent their child(ren) to private schools are wasting money or trying to keep up with the Joneses. One thing that we found was public schools were more concerned about tiptoeing around teaching character values so as not to offend someone. The other thing that I think most parents don't get is how stressed teachers at "great" public schools are. The teachers at our children's private schools had smaller class sizes, less materials and tests to review, weren't required to teach to the test, didn't have to take on additional responsibilities without commensurate stipends and agreements. We had friends whose children were at Pin Oak and trying to get teacher recommendation forms completed by one of the veteran teachers there who refused because she said she was overburdened enough by all that the school required of her. The best part was the school administration agreed.
It sucks that it's so inequitable. All kids should have the same great opportunities. We don't value education as a society, so we don't offer all kids a good education, and we don't pay educators well.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasb713 View Post
We had friends whose children were at Pin Oak and trying to get teacher recommendation forms completed by one of the veteran teachers there who refused because she said she was overburdened enough by all that the school required of her. The best part was the school administration agreed.
Teachers should make this known ahead of time so parents will know when to ask and when is too late.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 AM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I would disagree. At the two church-based private schools our kids went to, very few of the fellow parents I was friends with cared that much about the religious aspect. Many could not have cared less. A few did, but certainly they were in the minority. I'm not saying they were heathens, just that getting a top-notch education was the primary focus. A religious education wouldn't even have been in the top five. Getting into a good college, being able to compete in sports, and for some, the prestige of a private school. Religion just wasn't a big factor.

Perhaps in some schools it is, not the two our kids went to. And if you are only referring to TWCA, then forget everything I just typed.
Some religious schools have become very secular while others are very serious about the religious component. Cypress Christian, for example, requires a letter of recommendation from the child's pastor/preacher/minister (pick the label that applies in your church) along with letters from their previous teachers in the application packet. They interview the family and you are expected to be regular attendees at your church moving forward. Many of the other Christian schools they regularly compete against in TAPPS are also very serious about the religious aspect of their curriculum. I think that Woodlands Christian and Rosehill Christian, for example, are pretty serious about "walking the walk". Others (especially inside the loop) seem to be going through the motions. I get the distinct impression that many of the SW Prep schools fall into the latter category. I was disappointed when Houston Christian joined SW Prep - I took it as a signal that they were sort of selling out in the pursuit of secular priorities.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:22 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
I suspect its the suburban Christian schools that really "walk the walk" with the religion while those in the city/urban area are not as strict.

I also wonder about the Jewish and Muslim schools in Houston. I know the Muslim ones take non-Muslim students, though there are few.

Quote:
Some religious schools have become very secular while others are very serious about the religious component. Cypress Christian, for example, requires a letter of recommendation from the child's pastor/preacher/minister (pick the label that applies in your church) along with letters from their previous teachers in the application packet. They interview the family and you are expected to be regular attendees at your church moving forward. Many of the other Christian schools they regularly compete against in TAPPS are also very serious about the religious aspect of their curriculum. I think that Woodlands Christian and Rosehill Christian, for example, are pretty serious about "walking the walk". Others (especially inside the loop) seem to be going through the motions. I get the distinct impression that many of the SW Prep schools fall into the latter category. I was disappointed when Houston Christian joined SW Prep - I took it as a signal that they were sort of selling out in the pursuit of secular priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston