Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:10 PM

17 posts, read 23,186 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy in Houston and noticed that some of the homes we like have an electric instead of a gas stove. How much would it cost to convert an electric to a gas? Would it cost more if the stove is in a kitchen island (as opposed to placed along a wall? Trying to budget for this change if needed. TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
I'd guess that a determining factor is how far you need to go to reach an existing gas line.

Our house has a gas cooktop in a kitchen island that the previous owner installed to replace an electric cooktop. He had to run a gas line roughly 10 feet from the dryer gas valve (laundry room is right next to kitchen), under wood floor to island. No idea how much it cost, but I doubt he would've gone to the trouble if it was extremely expensive.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Does the house have gas? Not all houses in Houston have natural gas. Assuming it does...

You mention an island, but it isn't clear if you want to put it there, or that's where it already is.

If it's on an outside wall currently, and you have gas, adding it is fairly easy. Not necessarily cheap, but it's doable.

Island: Depends on the flooring, as they would have to run it under the floors. Hardwoods generally have some space under them, and it can be done. If it's tile or vinyl, it becomes much MUCH harder. They would have to carve out a channel thru the slab to get the gas to the island. Big $$$.

Hard to guesstimate a price on any of this. Have a plumber or contractor come out. There may be other ways to get a line to an island. Might be some existing conduit or something they could use.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2021, 07:22 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
In addition to what has been mentioned another factor is throughput from the meter. If the home is older, total throughput was allowed to be lower than what current code requires. Even if access is easy you may have to repipe gas lines elsewhere in the home to meet code. This project can vary from a couple hundred to 5 figures. Unfortunately good plumbers are still pretty busy from what I know so it may be hard to get them out for an estimate and they may quote pretty high due to demand.

Personally I'd replace the electric cooktop with an induction. They keep the kitchen cool compared to electric and gas and offer similarly precise heating control as compared to gas. You may have to buy new cookware though.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
In addition to what has been mentioned another factor is throughput from the meter. If the home is older, total throughput was allowed to be lower than what current code requires. Even if access is easy you may have to repipe gas lines elsewhere in the home to meet code. This project can vary from a couple hundred to 5 figures. Unfortunately good plumbers are still pretty busy from what I know so it may be hard to get them out for an estimate and they may quote pretty high due to demand.

Personally I'd replace the electric cooktop with an induction. They keep the kitchen cool compared to electric and gas and offer similarly precise heating control as compared to gas. You may have to buy new cookware though.
If you have to upgrade your meter and header pipe, may as well upgrade it so you can easily add a whole house generator in the future, for the next time the power grid goes down.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:27 PM

17 posts, read 23,186 times
Great feedback, thank you! I hadn't thought of changing the location from island to counter up by a wall and we are looking at both older and newer homes so I'll file away the information about throughput from the meter. It had occurred to me that the type of flooring will also be a factor. Have never heard of induction stove, will check it out.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharunnergirl View Post
Great feedback, thank you! I hadn't thought of changing the location from island to counter up by a wall and we are looking at both older and newer homes so I'll file away the information about throughput from the meter. It had occurred to me that the type of flooring will also be a factor. Have never heard of induction stove, will check it out.
I will second the suggestion for an inductive stove top. All of the benefits of a gas stove (controlled temperature, rapid heat up and cool down functionality), plus easy to clean (think flat electric stove top); the only downside is not all cookware is compatible with an inductive stove top. You will need cookware that is flat bottomed that will make full contact with the "burner" that will properly interact with the electromagnets inside of the cooktop.

With that said, I 100% whole-heartedly suggest you look into induction stove tops over gas or the existing electric.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:39 PM

332 posts, read 260,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I will second the suggestion for an inductive stove top. All of the benefits of a gas stove (controlled temperature, rapid heat up and cool down functionality), plus easy to clean (think flat electric stove top); the only downside is not all cookware is compatible with an inductive stove top. You will need cookware that is flat bottomed that will make full contact with the "burner" that will properly interact with the electromagnets inside of the cooktop.

With that said, I 100% whole-heartedly suggest you look into induction stove tops over gas or the existing electric.
While I agree that induction is superior to standard electric, one of the big advantages of gas over induction is that a gas range can operate if you lose electricity, which seems to happen every year in this city.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:58 PM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post

Gas has the advantage of working when the power is out though.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:00 PM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
If the home is already plumbed for gas, even if it has an electric stove currently it is not uncommon for their to be a gas line stubbed out of the wall below/behind it. Usually just have to look in the cabinets underneath for it.

I prefer gas over electric. Heats up faster and more consistently, and works when the power goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: