Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 14,420 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been a reader for long time of and on and have found valuable information here.

For those of you familiar with the area, I have a question.

I would like to invest in a rental property in Houston area. Budget is around $300K

Looking for recommendations.

Please tell me your choices and Why.

Thank you!

OJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
Good luck. A lot of buyers have the same idea as you. The $300k price point is white-hot for both investors and owner-occupants.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:09 AM

Thank you gwarnecke, however that didnt answer any questions or help with anything.

I would really welcome someone's input who actually has something to say about the topic.

Have a great day!

Old 04-26-2021, 11:39 AM

I'm just trying to emphasize that you're going to find a lot of competition in your search.

If it helps - narrow down a neighborhood or suburb to focus on and find a realtor who specializes in that market. You really need to find a local expert (and it goes without saying - line up your financing asap or be ready to pay cash). You need someone who knows what homes are coming on the market soon and can get you a showing the day it goes live (or even sooner).

If you want recommendations for a specific neighborhood - consider Green Trails Crossing or Krystal Lake Estates. Beautiful, quiet, safe, great schools, relatively short commute to Energy Corridor and Memorial City, no major flooding issues. Occasionally homes come up for around $300k or less but you have to act fast.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:45 AM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
Hello all,

I have been a reader for long time of and on and have found valuable information here.

For those of you familiar with the area, I have a question.

I would like to invest in a rental property in Houston area. Budget is around $300K

Looking for recommendations.

Please tell me your choices and Why.

Thank you!

OJ
Depends on your angle. Are you interested in buying and immediately renting out or renovating a distressed property, followed by cash-out refi and rental? They are very different markets.

That said, I'm curious as to why you're interested in investing in residential real estate right now. The market is pretty much at an all-time high and there will likely be a correction in the coming years due to suspension of the foreclosure moratorium and abatement of the pandemic. With every boom there is a bust...

Old 04-26-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks again gwarnecke,

Do you live in the area? I am already working with an agent, but, as you would probably do the same, you just dont go with whatever they tell you. You have to do your own research. People like you would be a great resource. I am from CA and plan to visit in June and just doing my homework. I know there are tough competition.

What do you think of Woodwind lakes, Woodland oaks, Jersy village area?

I am checking Krystal Lake and Trails crossing right now.

OJ

Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Depends on your angle. Are you interested in buying and immediately renting out or renovating a distressed property, followed by cash-out refi and rental? They are very different markets.

That said, I'm curious as to why you're interested in investing in residential real estate right now. The market is pretty much at an all-time high and there will likely be a correction in the coming years due to suspension of the foreclosure moratorium and abatement of the pandemic. With every boom there is a bust...
Hi there, thank you.

No distressed homes. Homes to rent right away.

I wouldnt wait for a correction. Let's not go there.

Please everybody, let's keep it simple. I appreciate your info alot and I am even willing to pay for your info.

Let's just imagine you want a rental property around Houston, where would you look?

Lets forget about competition and correction for now.

Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:00 PM

Honestly I recommended those areas because I am most familiar with them. My in-laws will be moving to Houston in the next few years and we've singled out these neighborhoods to keep an eye on. Mainly because they're the least-expensive area closest to us (west Houston) that balance all of the plus-points mentioned above.

I'm not familiar with those areas you mentioned, other than the general location. I see those older but relatively close-in suburbs as good long-term investments, since they are fully built-out and offer relatively short commutes. Just pay attention to zoned school ratings (hit or miss in older suburbs) and flooding issues.

You might want to also check out Spring Branch (our second choice after Green Trails and Krystal Lakes). $300k will get you a 1950s ranch home with mediocre- to poor schools, but Spring Branch is quickly gentrifying and is starting to attract high-end construction even in neighborhoods with so-so schools. It shouldn't be a bad long-term investment.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 PM

I checked those areas, as you pointed out not many for sale now. East of 6 and south of 10 many for sale, but not sure if as good.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:20 PM

467 posts, read 778,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post

You must not realize how many families are relocating to Texas every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: