Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 04:59 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

What ard your thoughts on moving there. How does it compare to NYC. ??

Most people that talk trash it are natives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 07:15 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
What ard your thoughts on moving there. How does it compare to NYC. ??

Most people that talk trash it are natives
I moved here about twenty years ago so things might be a little different now.
Generally speaking, if you lived in Manhattan or the cool part of Brooklyn or Queens and go out during the week then you might think Houston does not have enough culture/amenities. However if you lived in Queens or SA and go into the 'city' no more than once a month then you might appreciate the relative quiet and cleanliness of Houston. All New Yorkers would appreciate the lower COL but curse the 5 month long summer.

If there's anything more specific you want to know?

Old 04-28-2021, 07:49 PM

Yes. Everyone speaks highly of the job market. Also how does the food scene compare to Nyc... i know nyc is diverse but Houston seems to be moreso ? . Is the summer REALLY that bad ... NY summers are pretty hot &muggy (concrete jungle) . I also lived in Miami 4 summers which I tolerated well.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yes. Everyone speaks highly of the job market. Also how does the food scene compare to Nyc... i know nyc is diverse but Houston seems to be moreso ? . Is the summer REALLY that bad ... NY summers are pretty hot &muggy (concrete jungle) . I also lived in Miami 4 summers which I tolerated well.
Houston's food scene is pretty diverse, but to make comparisons you have to look at specific categories. There are fewer trendy top chef caliber high concept venues here, but there are enough for most people. If you like those hot dog and pretzel carts, or halal food trucks, you won't find them here, but there are good Middle Eastern options if you know where to look. Houston has better Texas style brisket bbq and Cajun food. Try some of the Viet-Cajun crawfish. If you are into high end steak houses then you might be disappointed.

Summer in New York can be brutal, but it's not sauna weather every hour there even in August. Here there's basically no break from the heat between June and September, and half of May and October can be brutally hot too. It also does not really cool down much at night. Miami is much nicer in the summer with the ocean breeze.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:36 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Houston is a sunbelt-style city, not a northeastern-style city. So it's tough to compare. All the points made above are on target. But also, Houston sprawls and in most cases, you drive to get places. That just changes the whole feel of the city. It feels less like a city here. On the upside though, it means that even in the hottest part of the summer, you can be comfortable, because you don't have to deal with subways, dirty sidewalks and crowds.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:32 AM

is the job market as good as everyone says ?

Old 04-29-2021, 10:31 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
It's OK, but not as good as DFW or Austin. If you're white-collar and not entrepreneurial, opportunities here have become more limited in the last few years.

However, if you are entrepreneurial, Houston is a good place, I think.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 PM

Also I really enjoyed the nightlife while I was down there. NYC gets lit but Houston takes it to another level.. Sundays day drinking and clubs are a huge thing ( along with fri& sat) . I was so surprised at how Lit it gets in Houston. Now , i like to eat healthy & take care of my body so this is not a everyweekend thing. I think since there is no zoning laws at all you dont have a central bar area but you have SEVERAL. lol Loved it & met LITERALLY some of the friendliest people ever

Old 04-29-2021, 04:28 PM

111 posts, read 90,976 times
Come visit us in August, get a feel of the weather for yourself.

Houston's job market largely revolves around the energy industry, which is cyclical. You might want to look for a job before moving here.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Job market for what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston