Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:00 PM

162 posts, read 232,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I would use it. I despise flying. You can actually have privacy on a train.
I would totally love something like this. I also hate to fly.

But, that said, it's a pipe dream that will never happen. It's just way too expensive and Americans prefer cars and planes. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:47 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,070,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
I would totally love something like this. I also hate to fly.

But, that said, it's a pipe dream that will never happen. It's just way too expensive and Americans prefer cars and planes. End of story.
I don't know what your personal views are-- but this statement sounds like the difference between conservative thinking and progressive thinking. Conservative thinking is "it is what it is, change is expensive/complicated. End of story." Progressives think about how things COULD be, and recognize the historical context around the creation of policies. They weren't dropped on earth by God.

Transportation spending doesn't have to be limited to highways. Minimum wage doesn't have to suck. People don't have to choose careers based on health insurance needs. Women don't have to choose not to work because child care would cost 80% of their pay. It is that way now, but it doesn't have to be that way.

The "it's too expensive" argument is the worst, too. It ignores the billions we spend on all kinds of things that we simply accept, then labels other things "too expensive."

Old 05-03-2021, 03:33 PM

15,631 posts, read 7,670,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I don't know what your personal views are-- but this statement sounds like the difference between conservative thinking and progressive thinking. Conservative thinking is "it is what it is, change is expensive/complicated. End of story." Progressives think about how things COULD be, and recognize the historical context around the creation of policies. They weren't dropped on earth by God.

Transportation spending doesn't have to be limited to highways. Minimum wage doesn't have to suck. People don't have to choose careers based on health insurance needs. Women don't have to choose not to work because child care would cost 80% of their pay. It is that way now, but it doesn't have to be that way.

The "it's too expensive" argument is the worst, too. It ignores the billions we spend on all kinds of things that we simply accept, then labels other things "too expensive."
"it's too expensive" is a valid criticism if it's something like cross country rail where 5 people a day would actually ride the train(it may be more, and probably is more, but you get the point that there will never be an occasion when 200+ people will board a train in Houston to travel to Los Angeles). We can't, as a society, afford to please every last person.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
"it's too expensive" is a valid criticism if it's something like cross country rail where 5 people a day would actually ride the train(it may be more, and probably is more, but you get the point that there will never be an occasion when 200+ people will board a train in Houston to travel to Los Angeles). We can't, as a society, afford to please every last person.
Please attach your analysis, including the costs, comparative costs of roads, environmental impact, polling data etc. Or, I'll just prefer my opinion to your opinion, and move on.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:11 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,997,106 times
Quote:

I get what you're saying, but the simple reality in the U.S. is that building rail is insanely expensive. Far more expensive than in most of the rest of the world, for whatever reason. Financially, it's very difficult for it to make sense except in rare circumstances like the Bos-Wash corridor. I don't even know that SA-Austin, probably the most obvious intercity corridor in TX for non-HSR, makes sense.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I get what you're saying, but the simple reality in the U.S. is that building rail is insanely expensive. Far more expensive than in most of the rest of the world, for whatever reason. Financially, it's very difficult for it to make sense except in rare circumstances like the Bos-Wash corridor. I don't even know that SA-Austin, probably the most obvious intercity corridor in TX for non-HSR, makes sense.
I won't claim to know anything about the costs. But I think it's worth looking into, and seeing what's possible, and how it might add value alongside other options that are already there. I think it's shortsighted, and lacking in vision, to say "can't be done, move on."

For too long, Amtrak has been expected to turn a profit. When it didn't, Congress cut it off at the knees, disallowing any growth or reassessment or vision. Nobody asks highways to turn a profit. It's the same BS-- call one thing expensive while you mindlessly throw money at another thing.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:03 PM

15,631 posts, read 7,670,798 times
Quote:
Please attach your analysis, including the costs, comparative costs of roads, environmental impact, polling data etc. Or, I'll just prefer my opinion to your opinion, and move on.
Unless you force Americans to ride trains for long distance trips, most of them won't. There is no great mass of people that wants to take 24 hours or more to go from Houston to LA, or Houston to Chicago, or Houston to the East Coast. Trips are even longer if trains are forced to use freight tracks.

There is probably a case to be made for shorter trips, like Houston to Dallas/Austin/San Antonio etc, but resistance is high to using any government money on those routes.

I am not particularly opposed to rail, but it has to make sense given resource constraints and reality.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Unless you force Americans to ride trains for long distance trips, most of them won't. There is no great mass of people that wants to take 24 hours or more to go from Houston to LA, or Houston to Chicago, or Houston to the East Coast. Trips are even longer if trains are forced to use freight tracks.

There is probably a case to be made for shorter trips, like Houston to Dallas/Austin/San Antonio etc, but resistance is high to using any government money on those routes.

I am not particularly opposed to rail, but it has to make sense given resource constraints and reality.
Well, sure. It has to make sense. But you have to do an actual analysis to see if it makes sense, not just a gut "people won't ride it" reaction. Let them do the work and figure it out.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,997,106 times
Quote:
I won't claim to know anything about the costs. But I think it's worth looking into, and seeing what's possible, and how it might add value alongside other options that are already there. I think it's shortsighted, and lacking in vision, to say "can't be done, move on."

For too long, Amtrak has been expected to turn a profit. When it didn't, Congress cut it off at the knees, disallowing any growth or reassessment or vision. Nobody asks highways to turn a profit. It's the same BS-- call one thing expensive while you mindlessly throw money at another thing.
I agree that having Amtrak try to work this semi-public, semi-independent model is pretty much a failure. Either make it fully independent, which of course would mean huge cuts in service to far-flung places (which, oh well), or make it fully public.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 25,392,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yes, he is dumb, and a liar, thanks for acknowledging this. But to be fair, he is past the early stages of dementia, so I will cut him some slack.
He left the White House 3 months ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston