Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 02:23 PM

620 posts, read 1,075,715 times

Advertisements

This would be amazing imagine it being a rail connects ATL to Houston to Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 03:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,536,750 times
what does it mean?all gamblers on board !

Old 04-30-2021, 04:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,285,837 times
I would use it. I despise flying. You can actually have privacy on a train.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:17 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,299,040 times
Default Hmm...

'You ever looked at an Amtrak schedule for service from Houston to the West Coast? Pathetic. Amtrak does not own most of the rail, if any at all. The rail is owned by private companies, not the state, so guess what, the freight trains get priority.

It takes about 20 hours last I checked, to go from Houston to El Paso. You are not traveling the entire time, but waiting... for the freight trains to pass. There is a long wait in Alpine, TX because of the wait time for the freight trains to pass. There is also a long wait in San Antonio. It is not like you can leave the station, and there is nothing to do while waiting. Great if you want solitude.

Anyway, 'not sure what the President was trying to accomplish there. There is already a route, and unless they build a new rail, the freight companies are not going to give preference to passenger service, it is not profitable. Most take it just for the 'fun' of it. I was planning on taking it this summer, but COVID ruined all of my travel plans going back to last year. Just political talk trying to score points, I don't see it happening.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:43 PM

6,296 posts, read 7,524,525 times
These plans also would seem to compete with the HSR proposed between Dallas and Houston

Amtrak has proposed a plan for new and enhanced rail connections across the United States.

AmtrakAmtrak's 2035 Map Has People Talking About The Future Of U.S. Train Travel : NPR

Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,064,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'You ever looked at an Amtrak schedule for service from Houston to the West Coast? Pathetic. Amtrak does not own most of the rail, if any at all. The rail is owned by private companies, not the state, so guess what, the freight trains get priority.

It takes about 20 hours last I checked, to go from Houston to El Paso. You are not traveling the entire time, but waiting... for the freight trains to pass. There is a long wait in Alpine, TX because of the wait time for the freight trains to pass. There is also a long wait in San Antonio. It is not like you can leave the station, and there is nothing to do while waiting. Great if you want solitude.

Anyway, 'not sure what the President was trying to accomplish there. There is already a route, and unless they build a new rail, the freight companies are not going to give preference to passenger service, it is not profitable. Most take it just for the 'fun' of it. I was planning on taking it this summer, but COVID ruined all of my travel plans going back to last year. Just political talk trying to score points, I don't see it happening.
Yeah, he must be either really dumb, or a liar, to propose that we could improve passenger rail service. Just because every other developed country in the world has figured this out doesn't mean that it's not IMPOSSIBLE. Better to just accept failure and focus on important things, like banning trans students from school athletics.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:22 AM

15,583 posts, read 7,609,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Yeah, he must be either really dumb, or a liar, to propose that we could improve passenger rail service. Just because every other developed country in the world has figured this out doesn't mean that it's not IMPOSSIBLE. Better to just accept failure and focus on important things, like banning trans students from school athletics.
The other countries are not as large or as sparsely populated as the US. Very few people are going to take the train coast to coast, or even Texas to LA. Unless the trains are full, it's pointless to lay thousands of miles of new track.

A 1500 mile circle from Paris covers all of Europe and Western Russia, an dover 800 million in population. That's roughly the distance from Houston to LA.

Cross country passenger rail on dedicated tracks is not practical in most of the US.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:08 PM

814 posts, read 679,840 times
I used to enjoy long train rides, in roomettes/bedrooms. Houston used to have service to destinations I rode to: Enid, OK, Stillwater, OK, Little Rock, Memphis, Chicago, NYC, even short rides to Palestine, TX.
Enjoyed them all very much.

There's just no demand for Amtrak's slow trains these days with good highways and (relatively) cheap airfares. Even service into San Antonio is often a day late.

How's that high speed rail in CA coming along ? - Don't answer, I know.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,299,040 times
Default Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Yes, he is dumb, and a liar, thanks for acknowledging this. But to be fair, he is past the early stages of dementia, so I will cut him some slack.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-01-2021 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-01-2021, 09:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,285,837 times
It also says something that dementia is still a huge improvement over what we previously had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston