Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 03:49 PM

899 posts, read 680,775 times

Advertisements

Look at estate sales. A lot of older furniture was built more solidly and as people pass away, their kids don't want it. I have a nice 2 bedroom drawer set with mirror that I think I gave $200 for. The downside to this approach is that you can end up with a hodgepodge of styles or you may need to wait to find other pieces that blend well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 04:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,673,245 times
The IKEA sofa is Ektorp- I believe. You buy the cover separately. It is supremely comfortable.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 AM

112 posts, read 91,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Look at estate sales. A lot of older furniture was built more solidly and as people pass away, their kids don't want it. I have a nice 2 bedroom drawer set with mirror that I think I gave $200 for. The downside to this approach is that you can end up with a hodgepodge of styles or you may need to wait to find other pieces that blend well.
True! Sometimes I see a set of furniture for sale on ebay or the likes. Like you're saying, trying by secondhand means it'll take some time. I'll need to look into estate sales in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
The IKEA sofa is Ektorp- I believe. You buy the cover separately. It is supremely comfortable.
Awesome! I think the Uppland is the model that replaced the Ektorp since last year. Good to hear that the Ektorp held up well

Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 AM

866 posts, read 793,983 times
Bought our last set at Star, very happy with it 9 years later and we are rough on furniture

Old 05-24-2021, 01:02 PM

186 posts, read 210,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Does anyone have a couch from West Elm? They have very attractive furniture; I'm wondering how well it holds up?

We have the Paidge Sofa & Paidge Reversible Sectional in Dove Gray Performance Velvet. We bought them in 2015 and they're still in great shape. We don't have any kids, but we do have pets. A dog and a cat.

The Sofa is rarely used, it's off to the side and only really gets used when we occasionally have family over. It still looks brand new. The Reversible Sectional is where we sit daily for watching TV and even eating dinner at our coffee table (yeah, yeah. It's just my husband and I. We don't care.) It's held up well. The back cushions fluff up well on cleaning days and I regularly flip them for even wear. Ever since we got our dog, we keep the main one we sit on covered with a quilt so he doesn't get it dirty, but even if the dog or cat lays right on the fabric, their hair easily brushes/vacuums off. I've had to clean up a couple small spills on it too and they've both come up really easily. They're not the most comfortable for lounging but could be worse. They still look beautiful though!

We have a lot of other furniture from West Elm too. A small media console under our TV, end table, and entry table. As well as our nightstands and a large 7 drawer dresser in our master bedroom. All was purchased in 2015. I do think West Elm is overpriced, but it's trendy and even with going through at least one move so far, they've held up well.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:29 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,812,399 times
For upholstered furniture, we stick to Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware. They're expensive but you can occasionally find great sales. PB and RH furniture holds value far better than comparably-priced pieces from Star, Bassett, Gallery Furniture, etc. We actually just sold a pair of PB couches that we bought new a year ago and ended up turning a profit (selling to downsize in preparation for a move).

We splurge on stuff that we sit on but skimp on hard furniture. I often buy used pieces on craigslist or facebook marketplace. My favorite is retired high-end office furniture - you can find pieces for pennies on the dollar that are built like tanks and look incredible after a refinish.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,313,131 times
Default Avoid IKEA!

For those who truly care about the environment, and not just words, but action, you should never purchase IKEA furniture. I'm surprised more celebrities are not saying the same, seeing how they all seem to say they worry about the environment.

The thing about quality "old" furniture is that it is meant to last a lifetime if used properly. IKEA on the other hand is disposable, and they know it is disposable. It is flimsy, and dangerous. Lots of young toddlers have been killed by furniture falling on them. This did not happen with old furniture because it was heavy and took more than just one, or two opened drawers to cause it to tip over.

But the main thing about IKEA is that they are the number one world single purchaser of wood. And they get it from people who just want to make a buck, which means ancient forests are being wiped out, and IKEA knows this.

Don't believe me, just do an Internet search on this subject, you may be surprised.

For me, I've always liked the Mission/Arts & Crafts furniture. Solid wood, heavy and lasts a lifetime... but costly yes, but I never have to replace it unless I want a new 'look'. Classic never goes out of style.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:49 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,044,074 times
Mixture of Star, Gallery, & Rooms to Go. A nod to Amish furniture stores for our dining room furniture, they are top notch!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,460,156 times
Star Furniture for most of the house and Exclusive Furniture for the kids' rooms.
I love the selection at Star Furniture compared to other places like Ashley, RTG, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: