Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 10:15 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,713 times

Advertisements

I have verizon unlimited plan and the mobile data was useless for days during the freeze when there was blackout in my area (Katy). I noticed this again today when we had blackout. I'm checking if this is common or got something to do with my plan. Verizon said per my plan, my data shouldnt slow down during blackout (when everyone in my area is using data). But my data is superslow so I dont know. I'm considering changing plan or cellphone provider.

Id like to know those who dont notice their data is slow during blackout, what cellphone provider you have and what plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 10:18 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Verizon. No issues Inside the Loop.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Verizon. No issues Inside the Loop.

What plan do you have? Im 100% sure verizon slowing my data during congestion like there is a black out evn though my plan says it shouldnt do that until i use 50gb. Im on do more unlimited plan which i pay a lot of dollars for. And i need data during blackout to check news, etc...

Old 05-29-2021, 05:49 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Yes, I have noticed this as well. Big slowdown during the freeze (it was fine during Harvey). I am also on a Verizon unlimited plan. I live in the League City area.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:14 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
It really makes sense if you think about it. If Katy is in a blackout, 85,000 people are using the phone for EVERYTHING all at the same time... not just the 5,000 people that use it for everything all the time on a regular basis.

As much as I hate Verizon, I don't think they're throttling anyone in particular... but they may throttling everybody by necessity.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
It really makes sense if you think about it. If Katy is in a blackout, 85,000 people are using the phone for EVERYTHING all at the same time... not just the 5,000 people that use it for everything all the time on a regular basis.

As much as I hate Verizon, I don't think they're throttling anyone in particular... but they may throttling everybody by necessity.

Verizon customer service says data shouldnt slow down for places like Katy even during blackout. Maybe in New York, where people live next to each other.

I posted here to check other people's experience.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Yes, after we lost power and had no internet our Verizon service was incredibly slow. Pretty sure it was just because everyone in the area was hitting it all at once. AT&T barely works in our neighborhood, so most folks have Verizon.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:00 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
What plan do you have? Im 100% sure verizon slowing my data during congestion like there is a black out evn though my plan says it shouldnt do that until i use 50gb. Im on do more unlimited plan which i pay a lot of dollars for. And i need data during blackout to check news, etc...
We are 2 different levels. Kid and I have the highest level of unlimited, he has 5G. Wife has a lower plan.

I can see that slowness would occur in an area with thousands of people on their phones, saturating the connections. No one builds capacity on the assumption that every customer in an area is going to be using bandwidth. Another issue is whether any cell sites went down from power loss, reducing capacity.

In general, Verizon has the best coverage and performance in the Houston area.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:14 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
If some towers went down due to to power, then there would be a lot of roaming. This seems like it would overwhelm the towers that were still operational.

It took about 6 hours for a text to go out for me during the storm.

But I could drive 8 minutes down the road near a tower in the next city, and the phone worked fine.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
I have verizon unlimited plan and the mobile data was useless for days during the freeze when there was blackout in my area (Katy).
Here in Cinco, there are very few (practically no) cell towers for each carrier due to the land planning by the developer. Most people here get by with Wi-Fi Calling and the booster microcells on the major road right-of-way.

When I had power, the Xfinity internet was the only link to the outside world, thanks to Wi-Fi Calling. It was obvious that the microcells and the few cell towers were out-of-power when my home Wi-Fi was working flawlessly. (Keep in mind that most of Houston had at least a stretch of no power for 24-48 hours straight during the 4-day event.).

If the water was turning yellow/brown due to power outages, then its expected that the cell towers will go down too by design (battery backup is only designed for a few hours, not days-on-end). Your cell phone will use up the battery to amplify the weak signal of a far-away tower to its maximum, which does impact battery life! Can any of the few left with Consolidated's landline telephone service tell us about the quality-of-service during the winter storm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston