Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 18,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
In your case that's true since southern Bellaire (in 77401) and northern Meyerland (in 77096) are both zoned to high performing Lovett Elementary.

However in the case of the border between Bellaire and the Gulfton area it absolutely matters.
Yeah both places would be Lovett/Condit then Pershing/Bellaire.

Houston Home would be on the boarder of the Lovett/Pershing lines - should that be a worry? How often are rezonings in HISD done? Not a worry now since no kids in school but will be an issue in some years. Have no problem with Lovett/Pershing/Bellaire as the worst case scenario.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 09:56 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Total aside, but it makes me sad that residents in the northern part of Bellaire literally drive past Cunningham to get to Condit, and really only because Cunningham has "those people." I don't think I appreciated just how terrible it is until I looked at a boundary map. I wonder if there is another HISD school boundary as stark as that one.
HISD board member Donald McAdams found a justification for that Condit/Cunningham line, in that the Bellaire areas are in the city of Bellaire and should remain in that community. https://books.google.com/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA55 He chose not to support another request to rezone from Braeburn to Herod because of fear of racial discriminatory grounds. https://books.google.com/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston14 View Post
Yeah both places would be Lovett/Condit then Pershing/Bellaire.

Houston Home would be on the boarder of the Lovett/Pershing lines - should that be a worry? How often are rezonings in HISD done? Not a worry now since no kids in school but will be an issue in some years. Have no problem with Lovett/Pershing/Bellaire as the worst case scenario.
Southern Meyerland is Kolter elementary school. Condit's zone is mostly Bellaire with parts of Houston to the north.

HISD rezonings are quite rare and I dont see HISD changing zones in Bellaire nor Meyerland in the foreseeable future.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:04 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
I've never lived in Bellaire, but I used to rent in West U before moving to City of Houston and then recently to Spring Valley Village.

My experience with the "enclave cities" is that their city governments and employees are far more responsive, helpful, and competent than their City of Houston counterparts. You can email the mayor and get a response in an hour or two. City-provided services like water/sewer tend to be cheaper (although I don't know if this is the case for Bellaire, specifically). Roads and sidewalks are better-maintained. And the city tax rates are lower, to boot!

These benefits are probably not worth $200k by themselves, but they are something to consider.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:46 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Quote:
HISD board member Donald McAdams found a justification for that Condit/Cunningham line, in that the Bellaire areas are in the city of Bellaire and should remain in that community. https://books.google.com/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA55 He chose not to support another request to rezone from Braeburn to Herod because of fear of racial discriminatory grounds. https://books.google.com/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA56

Southern Meyerland is Kolter elementary school. Condit's zone is mostly Bellaire with parts of Houston to the north.

HISD rezonings are quite rare and I dont see HISD changing zones in Bellaire nor Meyerland in the foreseeable future.
Thank you for linking to that book--I have some reading to do!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I've never lived in Bellaire, but I used to rent in West U before moving to City of Houston and then recently to Spring Valley Village.

My experience with the "enclave cities" is that their city governments and employees are far more responsive, helpful, and competent than their City of Houston counterparts. You can email the mayor and get a response in an hour or two. City-provided services like water/sewer tend to be cheaper (although I don't know if this is the case for Bellaire, specifically). Roads and sidewalks are better-maintained. And the city tax rates are lower, to boot!

These benefits are probably not worth $200k by themselves, but they are something to consider.
Thanks for the insight!

Old 06-11-2021, 11:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Thank you for linking to that book--I have some reading to do!
You're welcome! I think another angle to the aspect was that in the late 80s early 1990s Gulfton schools became massively overcrowded due to the influx of immigrants. Gordon Elementary in Bellaire was re-opened as a relief school for Gulfton area schools, so it didn't serve Bellaire families. I can see why Bellaire families, even disregarding the ethnic or even socieconomic differences, saw Condit as a more desirable option.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Hopefully that’s true about the rezoning and rarity. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2021, 12:03 AM

Response time of Bellaire PD and Houston PD (or fire dept) that much different? Are they able to go into each other’s territory (one closer etc.)?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:46 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston14 View Post
Response time of Bellaire PD and Houston PD (or fire dept) that much different? Are they able to go into each other’s territory (one closer etc.)?
I would guess that police response time of any incorporate city will beat HPD. However, many surrounding middle- and upper class Houston neighborhoods pay for supplemental Constable service, so it might be a wash. In fact, the Constable office tells us to just have our alarm system monitoring stations call them FIRST before calling us (plus vacation watch service is an added plus).

Old 08-30-2021, 08:15 AM

186 posts, read 188,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
If you are fine in the location you're in, why on earth would you pay 200K more to move across the street? What would change for you-- would you get a better school? More convenient access to tennis courts? I've always thought that being Bellaire-adjacent was the best deal around. Enjoy the shopping/restaurants but let someone else pay the premium. I was laughing with someone in my neighborhood about it... she owns two houses for the price of one Bellaire house (probably less even). She rents one out. She's laughing all the way to the bank.

The answer is mainly property appreciation. Thats what you get.

Other than that, you probably also get better services and better use of your tax dollars. I dont live in Bellaire but in a Village and we have brand new streets, great drainage that was recently upgraded, own police and fire and they are there within literally minutes if anything were to go down. But mainly I bought due to property appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston