Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:42 PM

223 posts, read 141,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Won't lie but I have to agree with this statement. I've never flown out of Hobby but I use Bush all the time. And if your a visitor coming out of Bush and booking a hotel somewhere in the loop your first impressions of Houston driving 45 S or 59/69 S before you get to downtown might not be the best impression. It's actually pretty ugly. Case and point, I was just in Philly and the first impression of Philly getting off the airport isn't the best either. In general Philly is more dirtier than Houston. But I'll say the drive from the unattractive parts to the much more attractive City Centre isn't as long of a drive as IAH to Downtown.

Im going to copy a post I made earlier today, because I totally agree with what you stated.
------
This post is coming from someone that likes Houston and Dallas, and does not consider either to be significantly better or worse than the other.

I cover Houston and the TMC for my job. Im in Houston about once a month.

For many years I wondered why visitors tended to prefer Dallas to Houston, because in my book they were about the same.

Its my opinion that Houston would be way better off in the eyes of visitors if Intercontinental was located in a place like Katy, or even Southwest of the City in someplace like Stafford or Ft Bend County.

I think the perception of Houston would be a lot different if visitors to the city had to drive through the Energy Corridor or the Galleria area to get to downtown rather than North East Houston.

If you fly into North Houston your first impression of Houston is either going to be Greenspoint Mall, I-45, or Highway 59.
Neither of these three areas showcase the best part of Houston.

If you fly into DFW airport you have three ways to get into Dallas.
183 and 635 are pretty average, but taking 114 through Las Colinas is an excellent drive.

If you fly into Love Field and are attempting to get to the Tollway or 75 you are going to drive through some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Dallas.

Cedar Springs, Mockingbird, and Inwood are all very nice showcases of Urban Dallas as soon as you get off the plane.
Hobby Airport is the opposite kind of experience.

and for any Houston person getting mad.....I prefer the nice parts of Urban Houston to the urban areas of Dallas.

This comedian states it perfectly, and better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGBEEzPbRU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 03:44 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,038,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Finally! Someone gets it.

The drive from Love Field or DFW (ESPECIALLY DFW) is no more exceptional than the drive from IAH or Hobby...just a bit further, depending on where you're going. The Dallas homers keep bringing up Houston's airport travel as if Dallas has glistening lakes, beautiful buildings, and fireworks shooting into the air on the drive from their airports. Hell, at least Houston has trees.
And take the Hardy Toll Road from IAH! That’s what it’s for! By the time you get back on IH45 your visitors will be getting a big glimpse of downtown Houston and they won’t be focused on the feeder roads.

Last edited by SanJac; 07-30-2022 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-29-2021, 04:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,038,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Im going to copy a post I made earlier today, because I totally agree with what you stated.
------
This post is coming from someone that likes Houston and Dallas, and does not consider either to be significantly better or worse than the other.

For many years I wondered why visitors tended to prefer Dallas to Houston, because in my book they were about the same.

Its my opinion that Houston would be way better off in the eyes of visitors if Intercontinental was located in a place like Katy, or even Southwest of the City in someplace like Stafford or Ft Bend County.

I think the perception of Houston would be a lot different if visitors to the city had to drive through the Energy Corridor or the Galleria area to get to downtown rather than North East Houston.

If you fly into North Houston your first impression of Houston is either going to be Greenspoint Mall, I-45, or Highway 59.

183 and 635 are pretty average, but taking 114 through Las Colinas is an excellent drive.

If you fly into Love Field and are attempting to get to the Tollway or 75 you are going to drive through some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Dallas.

Cedar Springs, Mockingbird, and Inwood are all very nice showcases of Urban Dallas as soon as you get off the plane.

and for any Houston person getting mad.....I prefer the nice parts of Urban Houston to the urban areas of Dallas.

Ha ha! That was funny! Yeah, I don’t fly out of Hobby much because I hate flying Southwest but it’s hard to sugar coat that area. True story… prior to the 2004 Super Bowl the city planted a bunch of trees to try to block some of the eyesores. They are very effective in a lot of places but on the east side you just can’t put lipstick on a pig.

To your point the best entry freeway into Houston is I10 west from San Antonio. That’s a very “clean” ride.

But if you do fly IAH (coming or going) use the Hardy Toll Road!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:17 PM

869 posts, read 321,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
------

Lol...the video was funny.

All I gotta say about his last point on Houston hating Dallas is that #1: The feeling is DEFINITELY mutual in Dallas. #2: Houston only gets that vibe about Dallas because of the Cowboy fans...not because of the city itself. Cowboy fans are REEEAAAAALLLLYYYY annoying out here.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:18 PM

869 posts, read 321,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
And take the Hardy Toll Road from IAH! That’s what it’s for! By the time you get back on IH45 your visitors will be getting a big glimpse of downtown Houston and they won’t be focused on the feeder roads.

Agreed!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:32 PM

24,027 posts, read 15,129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I agree with you about I-45 being an ugly drive from Greenspoint to the loop. I disagree about 59/69 (north of downtown/Greenway/Galleria). It may be boring with not much to look at but trees, but it's not littered with strip centers and wide parking lots the way 45 is.

You may be too young to remember and this was before I even moved to Houston, but in Superbowl 2004, the city promoters were encouraging taxi drivers to use 59 as opposed to 45 coming into town from the Airport to make a better first impression on the city.

Other than that small tidbit, i agree with the rest of your post
LOL. The very same city fathers who created this mess on I45 with the endless billboards saw it was problem.

The word around town in 1974 was the next slum area will be from Greenspoint to FM 1960.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:54 PM

240 posts, read 209,723 times
Quote:

All I gotta say about his last point on Houston hating Dallas is that #1: The feeling is DEFINITELY mutual in Dallas. #2: Houston only gets that vibe about Dallas because of the Cowboy fans...not because of the city itself. Cowboy fans are REEEAAAAALLLLYYYY annoying out here.
Whenever I run across one of these Houston-Dallas comparison discussions, they are almost always started by Houston supporters. Is that because of a football team that hasn’t won anything of significance in over 25 years?

Old 07-29-2021, 04:57 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Whenever I run across one of these Houston-Dallas comparison discussions, they are almost always started by Houston supporters. Is that because of a football team that hasn’t won anything of significance in over 25 years?
Has any Texas NFL team won anything significant in the last 25 years?

Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 PM

223 posts, read 141,629 times
Quote:

His Dallas video is also pretty funny, and spot on with the stereotypes. Again.....these are stereotypes that are repeated on this forum everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTsfLmu6VmA

Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 PM

15,520 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I agree with you about I-45 being an ugly drive from Greenspoint to the loop. I disagree about 59/69 (north of downtown/Greenway/Galleria). It may be boring with not much to look at but trees, but it's not littered with strip centers and wide parking lots the way 45 is.

You may be too young to remember and this was before I even moved to Houston, but in Superbowl 2004, the city promoters were encouraging taxi drivers to use 59 as opposed to 45 coming into town from the Airport to make a better first impression on the city.

Other than that small tidbit, i agree with the rest of your post
So, they tell the taxis to use 59, but put the Panthers up at the (then) Wyndham Greenspoint, while the Patriots were in the Galleria. Guess which team was closest to top notch strip clubs, and which team couldn't wander around at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston