Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,574 times

Advertisements

We are currently in CCISD but are selling our house. I want a new build but the majority of new builds going on down this way are down in DISD. My wife doesn't want to leave CCISD.

I figured that DISD can't be that bad with all the new neighborhoods popping up. I'm talking about area where prices start in the low $400ks. I know that people say that CCISD is better but is it really "THAT" much better.

One thing I do know is that DISD has a better sports program. Dickinson HS beat my son's football team 73-6.

I'm trying to convince my wife that switching to DISD isn't setting up our kids for failure. I mean, I have an Engineering Degree but I was #1 in my graduating class with a full ride to Yale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 PM

313 posts, read 282,392 times
Were you DISD? I agree with your wife that CCISD is the more desirable of the two districts.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:04 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Have you looked at The Reserve in Clear Lake up near the intersection of Clear Lake City Blvd and El Dorado? That would get you a new build but keep you in CCISD. Not sure what the inventory is up there TBH. It seems a little small as a development.

I don't think there's any question that CCISD is the superior district and one of the best in the Houston area, but like you, I'm not so sure DISD is a deal breaker per se. I'm in CCISD as well and know people who've moved to DISD and been satisfied. I've always gotten the impression that the HS (and really the district in general) is a diverse one full of a good mix of working and middle class families who value its smaller and cohesive environment.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Have you looked at The Reserve in Clear Lake up near the intersection of Clear Lake City Blvd and El Dorado? That would get you a new build but keep you in CCISD. Not sure what the inventory is up there TBH. It seems a little small as a development.

I don't think there's any question that CCISD is the superior district and one of the best in the Houston area, but like you, I'm not so sure DISD is a deal breaker per se. I'm in CCISD as well and know people who've moved to DISD and been satisfied. I've always gotten the impression that the HS (and really the district in general) is a diverse one full of a good mix of working class and middle class families who value its smaller and cohesive environment.
We’ve looked at the Reserve but it’s out of our budget. The fee they have left were in the $700ks range plus some of the highest taxes around. We are currently in CCISD. I see all the new builds popping up in DISD and I figure that all these parents probably care about theirs kids education as much as I do. I’ve been researching DISD and they have all the same extra curricular stuff. They also are building new schools for all the influx of new people. I mean, look at Largo Mar. That is all in DISD.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
We are currently in CCISD but are selling our house. I want a new build but the majority of new builds going on down this way are down in DISD. My wife doesn't want to leave CCISD.

I figured that DISD can't be that bad with all the new neighborhoods popping up. I'm talking about area where prices start in the low $400ks. I know that people say that CCISD is better but is it really "THAT" much better.

One thing I do know is that DISD has a better sports program. Dickinson HS beat my son's football team 73-6.

I'm trying to convince my wife that switching to DISD isn't setting up our kids for failure. I mean, I have an Engineering Degree but I was #1 in my graduating class with a full ride to Yale.
This is supposed to say I WASNT #1 in my class with a full ride to Yale. In other words, every Kid isn’t going to be the smartest kid. Reading the Dallas forum, the way they argue over schools, you would think that every parent on there has a little Einstein.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:53 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
There’s an argument to be made (in terms of class ranking) for going to a high school with a good diverse mix of kids as opposed to a hyper-competitive one.

I changed schools mid-sophomore year many moons ago - leaving a competitive Houston school for a sleepy small town school. Class choices were much more limited but I immediately plunged into academic competitions to which I hadn’t even been invited as a sophomore in the larger school!

(The bigger issue is how to convince Momma Bear!)

Old 07-27-2021, 01:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,063,476 times
If anyone from other parts is reading this - please note that it is Dickinson - not Dickson (in case you are trying to look it up)!

Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
If anyone from other parts is reading this - please note that it is Dickinson - not Dickson (in case you are trying to look it up)!
Yeah, you are right. I can’t edit the title.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
We’ve looked at the Reserve but it’s out of our budget. The fee they have left were in the $700ks range plus some of the highest taxes around. We are currently in CCISD. I see all the new builds popping up in DISD and I figure that all these parents probably care about theirs kids education as much as I do. I’ve been researching DISD and they have all the same extra curricular stuff. They also are building new schools for all the influx of new people. I mean, look at Largo Mar. That is all in DISD.
Yeah, maybe the inventory there is now limited to only the higher price point. I drove through there for the first time a few weeks ago dropping off a friend of my daughter's. I had not been there before. It must be pretty close to the edges of CCISD, because it's essentially in Pasadena.

And I think you'e right about DISD. Lots of new builds and good retail out there, so I would think DISD should only continue to improve.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yeah, maybe the inventory there is now limited to only the higher price point. I drove through there for the first time a few weeks ago dropping off a friend of my daughter's. I had not been there before. It must be pretty close to the edges of CCISD, because it's essentially in Pasadena.
I actually know a few people who've sold in Reserve because of the crazy high taxes. I considered Margo Lar but that tax rate plus the $1600/yr HOA is killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston