Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial couple in 77096, and it's been a good fit for us and our daughter (my partner is Black). I would say that there aren't a TON of other Black families in the area (a couple on our block), but the public schools themselves are far more diverse since most are magnet schools, and the neighbors are pretty liberal and welcoming.

As has been mentioned, the only real issue with the area is that there are parts with a flood history (only parts, can't paint with broad strokes). There are sections where I wouldn't buy an original house that hasn't been raised, and other parts where it's just fine. You are mostly priced out of new construction (which generally would be $900k+++).

For example, this would be a no (along the bayou): https://www.har.com/homedetail/5303-...-77096/8670410

This would be a yes: https://www.har.com/homedetail/5734-...-77096/8004922

This would likely be a yes: https://www.har.com/homedetail/5023-...-77096/3230452

This would be a maybe (it was right on the edge of flooding during Harvey): https://www.har.com/homedetail/5330-...77096/10753823
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 12:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
I would think, so long as you avoided the areas prone to flooding, you would do well in Meyerland. What people are calling Macgregor park area is Riverside Terrace. That area has been known for having a concentration of politicos and civic leaders within the black community for years now. The sections along South Macgregor, or Timber Crest or University Oaks off N. MacGregor are the nicest parts. The northern sections of Glenbrook Valley, between Sims and Bellfort, are very diverse with nice homes and with very few exceptions have avoided flooding despite being next to a major bayou. It does have ugly areas surrounding it which people have a different tolerance for. I would also think greater Montrose would work of course.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
[quote=modster;61718571The northern sections of Glenbrook Valley, between Sims and Bellfort, are very diverse with nice homes and with very few exceptions have avoided flooding despite being next to a major bayou. [/QUOTE]

Yes...Glenbrook Valley has some spectacular home architecture - do a search! (Fifties mod...it may or may not be to your taste but really hard to find!)

What is the small neighborhood called that is just north of the bayou - just north of Garden Villas - a little hidden jewel. Along Reed Road.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Yes...Glenbrook Valley has some spectacular home architecture - do a search! (Fifties mod...it may or may not be to your taste but really hard to find!)

What is the small neighborhood called that is just north of the bayou - just north of Garden Villas - a little hidden jewel. Along Reed Road.
I think that's Overbrook. Garden Villas is another interesting one. The housing stock in a mixed bag, VERY mixed bag, and the Achille's heel is the proximity the flight path for Hobby, that mostly misses Glenbrook. The trade off is the huge, huge lot sizes, tree canopied streets, wild peacocks, and a pretty unique character. It's hard to replicate at that price point, especially with decent proximity to downtown and the med center.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I think that's Overbrook. Garden Villas is another interesting one. The housing stock in a mixed bag, VERY mixed bag, and the Achille's heel is the proximity the flight path for Hobby, that mostly misses Glenbrook. The trade off is the huge, huge lot sizes, tree canopied streets, wild peacocks, and a pretty unique character. It's hard to replicate at that price point, especially with decent proximity to downtown and the med center.
Garden Villas is definitely a really unique part of the city. I think some homes may date back to the 1930s? Not all in great condition. But yes enormous lots, incredible tree cover and shady streets, and Southwest planes skimming those treetops over your head.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:51 AM

52 posts, read 27,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs2lettaz View Post
My impression is that they’re all pretty liberal but that doesn’t always mean inclusive.

This is interesting; can you elaborate?

Old 08-20-2021, 12:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultright View Post
This is interesting; can you elaborate?
White liberals can be racists too, it just doesn't look like a stereotypical racist. Speaking VERY broadly, calling out the overt and systemic racism, but rarely confronting your own bias. Speaking about the ills of the justice system, and then quietly sending your kids to "good" (majority white) schools.

I'm white, but my partner is Black, and I have seen this over and over (even in my liberal self), especially when our daughter is involved.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:39 PM

1,952 posts, read 827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
White liberals can be racists too, it just doesn't look like a stereotypical racist. Speaking VERY broadly, calling out the overt and systemic racism, but rarely confronting your own bias. Speaking about the ills of the justice system, and then quietly sending your kids to "good" (majority white) schools.

I'm white, but my partner is Black, and I have seen this over and over (even in my liberal self), especially when our daughter is involved.

White liberals are some of the most racist people I know. My neighbors are white liberals and they say the worst things about minorities...but they say them in underhanded ways. Still...more racist that the things I have heard from hicks in East Texas and Louisiana.

Many of them also believe in this thing called white privilege. Basically, that one group of people has a certain advantage in society, because of the color of their skin. Hard to imagine anything more racist than that, sorry.

I am pretty much a center-right person and I don't care what color anyone is, as there are minority members in my family.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:24 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
White liberals are some of the most racist people I know. My neighbors are white liberals and they say the worst things about minorities...but they say them in underhanded ways. Still...more racist that the things I have heard from hicks in East Texas and Louisiana.

Many of them also believe in this thing called white privilege. Basically, that one group of people has a certain advantage in society, because of the color of their skin. Hard to imagine anything more racist than that, sorry.

I am pretty much a center-right person and I don't care what color anyone is, as there are minority members in my family.
How is it racist to call out the systems in society (red-lining, for example) that disadvantaged people of color for decades? That's not racist. That's recognizing systemic racism.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:31 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,639 times
Quote:
My husband and I are in the market for a home up to 700k (ish). We are black professionals in our mid-30’s with a 3 year-old. We’re wondering where within loop we might fit in best. Obviously, all of the neighborhoods we’ve found are disproportionately white with very few black people but it’d be nice to know which neighborhoods are relatively more diverse or at least more likely to be inclusive of people of color. My impression is that they’re all pretty liberal but that doesn’t always mean inclusive. Our other priorities are access to arts/culture/entertainment, good public schools (if possible but private is fine), easy access to parks/recreation, easy-ish commute to downtown or IAH airport.

Here are some of the areas that have caught our attention: Afton Oaks, Kirby, Greater Heights, Rice Military.

Open to exploring other areas if you all have more suggestions!
Quote:
Here is what America looks like: 60% White, 18.5% Hispanic, 13% Black, 6% Asian
Would you call this diverse? 72% White, 11% Hispanic, 10% Asian, 4% African American

Also, I’m from Atlanta originally but live in Austin and work in Houston.
I have lived all over the US including Atlanta. I think you’ll be hard pressed to find any neighborhood in America that aligns to the demographics you highlighted at a >= $700k price point. The suburbs in Houston are more diverse than the loop because there are more buyers due to the lower price point. It’s simply economics. A $700k house is a significantly larger house in the burbs compared to the loop. Honestly, at $700k you’re priced out of all the premiere inside the loop neighborhoods if you desire a move in ready single family home with low flood risk. In many neighborhoods you can’t even touch a lot at that price point. You can definitely find a townhome at that price point.

This is my 7th year living inside the loop since relocating to Houston. I have NEVER had a problem. I live in one of the neighborhoods bordering Memorial Park. Sure, I get the occasionally stare or no eye contact response while running in the neighborhood to Memorial Park. This is no different than what I’d experience anywhere in a neighborhood with >=$2m homes. The reality is there simply aren’t as many people who look like me who can afford these type of homes. I chalk it up as curiosity. ;-)

Unless you really want the burb lifestyle, I’d never live there. If you like entertainment, you’ll spend most of your time commuting to the loop to meet friends instead of living in the loop and either walking or taking a quick Uber ride to your destination. The home appreciation is typically higher in the loop as well. In the long term, it’s a better investment.

I probably would have left Houston by now if I would have bought in the burbs 7 years ago. Houston is a city for explorers/adventures. There are so many things in the loop that people who live in the burbs don’t even know exist. I laugh when people say Houston doesn’t have, fill in the blank, and they never spend time in the city/loop.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. I have been pleasantly surprised living in Houston. I for sure thought the city would be a stepping stone (6 months max) to Los Angeles after relocating from the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston