Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 10:51 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanobody View Post
I find the OP very odd. They want skin color diversity only but not any other type of diversity. They want to live in a premier neighborhood with other upper middle class folks, but not lower middle class or God forbid lower income class.
If you have any great recommendations for neighborhoods with significant economic diversity that would be awesome.

That tends to happen much more often in small towns than in metro areas, with the exception of neighborhoods that are quickly transitioning up $$ or transitioning down $$!

I remember the real estate signs we used to see back in the day - when the $120-140K houses were on one side of the thoroughfare and the $100-$120K houses were on the other side, because heaven forbid that a $135K person would have to live next door to a $110K person!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 12:38 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
If you have any great recommendations for neighborhoods with significant economic diversity that would be awesome.

That tends to happen much more often in small towns than in metro areas, with the exception of neighborhoods that are quickly transitioning up $$ or transitioning down $$!

I remember the real estate signs we used to see back in the day - when the $120-140K houses were on one side of the thoroughfare and the $100-$120K houses were on the other side, because heaven forbid that a $135K person would have to live next door to a $110K person!!
I find Cypress to be positioned within proximity to one of the most economic diverse radius in the region. Within under 30 minute commutes. It’s white collar-blue ratio is well balanced. The energy corridor just to the south offers many industries. Headquarters or large campuses from Sysco, Academy Sports + Outdoors, Amazon tech hub, Wood Group, etc along with the energy companies (BP, Shell, etc). Many hospitals in this radius as well. The Daikon Technology Park in Waller is under 15 minutes away and offers a large range of manufacturing, engineering, logistics, etc jobs. It’s also the 3rd largest factory in the nation (after Tesla SF and Boeing in Seattle). Speaking of logistics, many high quality distribution centers in this region as well. It’s not the only dynamic regions bur one of the more dynamic for sure.

In terms of personal income, it’s not crazy diverse but in comparison to other places within GH it is.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:31 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I find Cypress to be positioned within proximity to one of the most economic diverse radius in the region. Within under 30 minute commutes. It’s white collar-blue ratio is well balanced. The energy corridor just to the south offers many industries. Headquarters or large campuses from Sysco, Academy Sports + Outdoors, Amazon tech hub, Wood Group, etc along with the energy companies (BP, Shell, etc). Many hospitals in this radius as well. The Daikon Technology Park in Waller is under 15 minutes away and offers a large range of manufacturing, engineering, logistics, etc jobs. It’s also the 3rd largest factory in the nation (after Tesla SF and Boeing in Seattle). Speaking of logistics, many high quality distribution centers in this region as well. It’s not the only dynamic regions bur one of the more dynamic for sure.

In terms of personal income, it’s not crazy diverse but in comparison to other places within GH it is.
We used to live near Humble, and this sounds similar. Still all of the newly developed "subdivisions" were largely segregated by price of property. It would be cool if this were not the case. One can dream!

Old 09-16-2021, 01:42 PM

828 posts, read 772,300 times
Would question usage of the flood factor website the OP mentioned. It claims our house flooded a foot into our house during Harvey (along with our whole neighborhood), but we had NO issues occur within several MILES away.

Looks like a tool to sell flood insurance......

Old 09-20-2021, 11:11 PM

16 posts, read 18,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
We are an interracial couple in 77096, and it's been a good fit for us and our daughter (my partner is Black). I would say that there aren't a TON of other Black families in the area (a couple on our block), but the public schools themselves are far more diverse since most are magnet schools, and the neighbors are pretty liberal and welcoming.

As has been mentioned, the only real issue with the area is that there are parts with a flood history (only parts, can't paint with broad strokes). There are sections where I wouldn't buy an original house that hasn't been raised, and other parts where it's just fine. You are mostly priced out of new construction (which generally would be $900k+++).

For example, this would be a no (along the bayou): https://www.har.com/homedetail/5303-...-77096/8670410

This would be a yes: https://www.har.com/homedetail/5734-...-77096/8004922

This would likely be a yes: https://www.har.com/homedetail/5023-...-77096/3230452

This would be a maybe (it was right on the edge of flooding during Harvey): https://www.har.com/homedetail/5330-...77096/10753823
Informative post! I’m in the Braesmont area and never flooded (moved in right after Harvey so the home had good three test runs lol) but am considering the Meyerland area now (yes I know, it’s basically the same area).

With what you’ve seen, how did section 2 fair and in particular the area North of Lovett (Jason, Jackwood, Grape, Indigo, etc)? Driving by the area I see some new builds and also some raised homes as well as older homes that weren’t raised at all as well. I know Lovett didn’t flood also.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston14 View Post
Informative post! I’m in the Braesmont area and never flooded (moved in right after Harvey so the home had good three test runs lol) but am considering the Meyerland area now (yes I know, it’s basically the same area).

With what you’ve seen, how did section 2 fair and in particular the area North of Lovett (Jason, Jackwood, Grape, Indigo, etc)? Driving by the area I see some new builds and also some raised homes as well as older homes that weren’t raised at all as well. I know Lovett didn’t flood also.
I think I actually answered this in another thread, so I will "repost" here--

The closer to the bayou did worse in Harvey (Sections 6 and 5). I think section 2 and north it became hit and miss (our friends on Manhattan near Indigo got a few inches, as did friends at Rice and Mimosa, but Lovett Elem didn't get any water). An even slightly elevated recent construction house shouldn't have had any problems, but original houses would of course have to disclose any water on the property. That said, the work they are doing on the bayou is supposed to remove a lot of original houses from danger, though if a house got a foot or more of water, HCFCD says there would still be some risk to them.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 AM

312 posts, read 281,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I agree. After living in so called "liberal" cities, I experienced more racism than I did while living in the South. Now some of it was flat out ignorance but still there, yet these folks voted for Biden probably. At least in the South their racist ways are upfront for you.
I always felt a subtle current of racism in visits to the PNW even in the big cities. Lots of white people and their WPP. And once you leave the cities it’s a whole other world and mindset with the small town, wilderness, country people. They’re nuts and extreme.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM

312 posts, read 281,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

I agree. I think there is an outdated viewpoint for some people that it’s all country but it’s not like that anymore. It has a little but of everything for everyone. Need an affordable house for under $300K? Want a bigger, new MPC home with A+ schools for $600k? Want a pony for the kids and a llama for mama and a tractor to ride on the weekends? Cypress. I will say it still needs a Pappasitos, Pappadeuax and Topgolf out there.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:16 PM

305 posts, read 265,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs2lettaz View Post
I’m looking at Meyerland now and it seems like a great suggestion! I like that the demographics as reported by Niche.com seem to look a lot more like America than those places in the inner loop. Would you say the Niche.com demographics are pretty accurate? The only downside I’m seeing if that there’s a major flood risk on that side of town. I looked at Floodfactor.com and it’s rated 6/10.
People on here always say Meyerland it diverse. Looking at the demographics, I could see why one would think that. But when I lived there, the overwhelming majority of homeowners out there were white, and practicing the Jewish faith. The only parts where I really saw non-white individuals was typically at apartment complexes. Maybe that's changed over the years, but in 2005-2008 I felt very out of place just by not being Jewish.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:39 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
People on here always say Meyerland it diverse. Looking at the demographics, I could see why one would think that. But when I lived there, the overwhelming majority of homeowners out there were white, and practicing the Jewish faith. The only parts where I really saw non-white individuals was typically at apartment complexes. Maybe that's changed over the years, but in 2005-2008 I felt very out of place just by not being Jewish.
It has changed over the years, but I agree that it's still majority white homeowners. The Jewish community is smaller than it used to be (we aren't Jewish, and I would guess that easily 75% of our block is the same). I had a quick look at the Meyerland Super Neighborhood demographics, comparing 2000-2019, and this is what they report. You can see that the area is definitely diversifying, though like most middle- and upper-middle class areas, it trails behind the city at large percentage-wise, and I would guess if you split renters versus owners, the numbers would be more stark.

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/D...land_Final.pdf

Ethnicity 2000 / 2019
Non Hispanic Whites 77% / 53%
Non Hispanic Blacks 4% / 12%
Hispanics 9% / 19%
Non Hispanic Asians 8% / 12%
Non Hispanic Others 2% / 4%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston