Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
A 24kw generator should have no sweat running two ACs, as long as (like you said) they don't try to start at exactly the same time.
I see what you did there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,496,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You weren't running the AC compressors. Single largest electricity user in most homes. The furnaces ran, and the forced air fans, but no compressors.
Electric furnaces draw a lot more power than Ac compressors.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You're right. I assumed since this is Houston, he uses NatGas for heat. I shouldn't have made that assumption, although it is far more common here.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:58 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
Hi all,

Just got our 24KW standby generator installed. Does anyone know if this can run 2 AC units? My electrician said it can but I wanted to confirm if anyone has real life experience with this.

We have 2 AC units, a 4 ton unit and a 3 ton. I understand that both of them switching on at the same time might be too much load, but can one turn on and then the other, like it would typically when we have utility power?

Thanks,
Traveler
I have a lot of experience with generators but I'm not a pro. What are the SEER ratings per unit in this case it really matters.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
https://www.generac.com/GeneracCorpo...28_16FINAL.pdf
Generac is offering 7 years warranty instead of 5 if you request a quote/visit now.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 PM

211 posts, read 289,708 times
Quote:
You're right. I assumed since this is Houston, he uses NatGas for heat. I shouldn't have made that assumption, although it is far more common here.
Yes, nat gas here. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Thus the title of this article:
Why did the Texas electric grid crash--Quartz

Wish more Texans could de-electrify to reduce demand/strain on the grid, not to mention that electric versions of appliances are a money pit on the monthly bill despite the lower purchase price. The California-centric Electrify Everything greenwashing movement is leading some Texans astray when it comes to fuel choices. Wish House Bill 17 would have prohibited the sale of money-pit 220 V major appliances and stop new installations of dangerous 220 V dryer and range outlets in new homes!

Quote:
Apparently Census statistics somehow show that 60% of Texans (sadly) use electric furnaces as their space heating source. How that works out is a mystery. In my experience, most single-family homes outside of the Beltway are heated by natural gas (which the statistics on this site corroborate my experiences). Also the homebuilders usually include natural gas furnaces in new homes. Perhaps gas appliances are unusual in the other major Texas metros and the rest of Texas?

Old 09-22-2021, 09:48 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,496,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Wish more Texans could de-electrify to reduce demand/strain on the grid, not to mention that electric versions of appliances are a money pit on the monthly bill despite the lower purchase price. The California-centric Electrify Everything greenwashing movement is leading some Texans astray when it comes to fuel choices. Wish House Bill 17 would have prohibited the sale of money-pit 220 V major appliances and stop new installations of dangerous 220 V dryer and range outlets in new homes!

Apparently Census statistics somehow show that 60% of Texans (sadly) use electric furnaces as their space heating source. How that works out is a mystery. In my experience, most single-family homes outside of the Beltway are heated by natural gas (which the statistics on this site corroborate my experiences). Also the homebuilders usually include natural gas furnaces in new homes. Perhaps gas appliances are unusual in the other major Texas metros and the rest of Texas?
I have the same answer for both of these postings. My neighborhood has NO natural gas lines and is ALL electric. Now I believe you are only talking about appliances that specifically use 220 v outlets, at least I hope so. Also remember that an all electric house has never blown up at least none that I know of.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for.
240v is actually safer and more efficient (lower amps), Amps kill, not volts.
High load 120v circuits are imbalanced (120v single leg vs a matched leg (240v) runs excess amps back through the neutral leg (which is a smaller conductor, and can flee to bridge the ground if there are any errors in total circuit installation (likely an error some place within your home)

Most of the rest of the world 'upgraded' their distribution grid using 220;/230 /240 (run to each outlet / switch.). Not Texas (of course )

Texas climate is well suited for heat pumps, of which most 100% electric homes built since 1980 use. There are very high efficiency electric options for heating and AC. Natural Gas is not available in many rural areas, and is not always highly efficient. (In fact the Natural Gas turbines shutting down during 'the freeze' was significantly responsible for Texas grid failure).

For op.... 24kw is a very big generator and if @ full duty cycle could power a large home / small farm or business. Resistance heat load is the heavy user (electric dryer, hair dryers, space heaters...)

Old 09-23-2021, 05:09 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
Quote:
Does this 60% reflect all non-NG heat sources (heat strip furnaces, heat pumps), or heat-strip heating only? I'd be very surprised if it's the latter.

FWIW, I grew up in a small central TX city and there was no city-provided NG. If you wanted to heat your home with gas, your only option was to install a buried propane tank. A few homeowners did so (probably mainly b/c they wanted to cook with gas), but the vast vast majority of homes used electric heating.

However...most of the time, this electric heating was with heat pumps. I laugh whenever I hear heat pumps referred to as a ”newer” technology...my grandmother's heat pump was installed in 1995, and my parents' house built in 1999 has heat pumps (all of these are still working great)! I didn't experience NG heating until I moved to Houston.

Having said all that, I still prefer NG, and everything in my Houston house that can be gas-powered, is. NG appliances are generally cheaper to run, and NG is the most reliable of all grid utilities. If the power goes out I can still heat my home, use the stove/oven, and dry my clothes using a small generator to run the 120v electric portions of my appliances. As susceptible as we are to power outages, this is not a theoretical/edge case benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston