Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 05:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,519,183 times

Advertisements

I went there today,the restaurant side is new to me.
Lots of people there,hoping to buy some veggies and fresh fish.
I dont see too many veggies,may be I dont know where to look?
But the fish counter has many types of fish,asking anywhere from 24.88-39.99 a lb,are people really paying such prices for fresh fish?
Do they really sell all the prepared food in the deli?what do they do with the stale ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 06:14 PM

9,949 posts, read 6,659,386 times
I don’t like central market food

Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t like central market food
I dont blame you,they look too fancy and foreign to me,I end up eating somewhere else
They have many many items on the shelf,brands you have never heard of,do they really move these items fast?

Old 09-18-2021, 07:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,775,824 times
The produce is on the opposite side from the prepared foods. If you were standing looking at the front of the store it would be all the way down on the left.

They have some good cuts of meat but I agree, not my cup of tea either. There is absolutely nothing I would force myself to go there for. But I am basically a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Perhaps if I had a more robust palate Central Market would appeal to me.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 PM

I found where they sell fruits-pears,apple and oranges,water melon.
I saw some veggies ,but nothing special,they used to have fava beans.
But their fish selection is superb.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:45 PM

61,915 posts, read 87,450,383 times
I like to buy fresh fish at H-mart.
https://www.offermate.us/hmart/texas...ay-17-09-2021/

Old 09-18-2021, 09:07 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,729,313 times
Central Market makes Whole Foods feel like Fiesta.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:46 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,203,479 times
My in laws live very close to Central Market and go there often. There's just 2 of them in their household and I think they basically split their shopping between Central Market and Costco for bulk items that will last months.

When they come down to our place in League City, they'll bring certain dips and spreads that are only available at CM and not our local HEB (which is very large and quite nice). I think CM is good, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to regularly shop there.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,249,291 times
I live just down the street from Central Market. I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Love:
* It has an amazing selection of fresh fruits/veggies (far left entry)
* Their prepped food (stuff you buy, ready to heat & serve) is tasty, with a great variety (far right side)
* If you need some obscure but still kinda mainstream product, they probably have it.
* Their meat market (eg butcher shop) is a-maz-ing. You can get anything, and it will be top-notch quality.

Hate:
* It has the most confusing store layout of any place on earth
* They don't carry a lot of mainstream products (whereTF is the Diet Coke, I asked?)
* It has the most confusing store layout of any place on earth

I no longer shop there, for two reasons. First, the layout is SO confusing, I can never find my way around. Second, they don't carry some everyday products I use. The only time I go there any more is to buy some prepped food for dinner, although I usually just UberEats these days, rather than screw with Central Market.

A few years ago, someone had told me they have great meats. I was doing a Reverse Sear for some friends, and wanted the best available cuts, so I went there. Finally found my way to the meat counter, bought a couple of outrageously expensive Sirloins, and they were out of this world great.

So a few month later, I want to do it again. I spent ten minutes wandering around, having employees send me hither and yon, and never did find the meat counter! Gave up, walked out. Life's too short to put up with BS layouts.

The shame is, it's the only grocery store within a couple miles, forcing me to drive further, just to find a "normal" store. Having said that, I almost always shop at the HEB in Brenham, and just bring home what I need.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I like to buy fresh fish at H-mart.
https://www.offermate.us/hmart/texas...ay-17-09-2021/
So do I,they have seafood flown in from Fulton Market daily,but their selection is not as diverse,they stick to what local consumers will buy-when it comes to fish,the choice is carp,tilapia,salmon,cod,monkey fish,seabass,flounder,but they do have live King crabs in tank,when they dont sell,they cook it and mark it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston