Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,279,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Mexican Fan Palm Trees (kind of Miami style).
Mexican fan palms (washingtonia robusta) are more of drier climate/desert palms, rather than the deeper tropical species found in Miami. The native range is the GoC region of northwestern Mexico (i.e. Baja Peninsula, states of Sonora and Sinaloa, etc), a dry coastal area — this gives them decent tolerance of humidity compared to their northerly cousins in Arizona/California (washingtonia filifera), which is why they are able to grow very well in Texas (winter freezes aside).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:07 PM

If you want more bulletproof tall palms in Houston, then look no further than the sabal palmetto native to the Atlantic Southeast (from Florida up through southern North Carolina). They also have close cousins in Southern Texas.

Quote:
Sabal palmetto is hardy to USDA zone 8, and has been reported to have some cold hardness down to 8.6 °F or −13.0 °C, but needs hot and humid summers to grow well. Maintenance of the cabbage palm tree is very easy and very adaptable. The cabbage palmetto is known to tolerate drought, standing water and brackish water. Even though this palm is drought-tolerant, it thrives on regular light watering and regular feeding. It is highly tolerant of salt winds, but not saltwater flooding
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_...to#Description

Old 01-03-2022, 09:12 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,545,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
Mexican fan palms (washingtonia robusta) are more of drier climate/desert palms, rather than the deeper tropical species found in Miami. The native range is the GoC region of northwestern Mexico (i.e. Baja Peninsula, states of Sonora and Sinaloa, etc), a dry coastal area — this gives them decent tolerance of humidity compared to their northerly cousins in Arizona/California (washingtonia filifera), which is why they are able to grow very well in Texas (winter freezes aside).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta
I have Mexican palm trees. Period.

I'm thinking what if the landscaping guy did some trickery to my trees when he was trimming them? I didn't trim the trees myself. Maybe he knows some tricks how to make them dormant for a long time so homeowners will think they are dead and call him again for the complete removal.
He trimmed my neighbor's trees as well. Same species. Most of them came back, but some are still looking dead. Maybe that was staged intentionally.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I have Mexican palm trees. Period.
I know. Just adding in good detail.

Quote:
I'm thinking what if the landscaping guy did some trickery to my trees when he was trimming them? I didn't trim the trees myself. Maybe he knows some tricks how to make them dormant for a long time so homeowners will think they are dead and call him again for the complete removal.
He trimmed my neighbor's trees as well. Same species. Most of them came back, but some are still looking dead. Maybe that was staged intentionally.
Many seemingly inconsequential factors that are huge when it comes to the specimen that pull through and look fine, those that still look weaker, and those that still look "dormant."

Could very well be a "landscaping trick." Or some other factor — do you have a north-facing house by any chance?

Old 01-03-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
I know. Just adding in good detail.

Many seemingly inconsequential factors that are huge when it comes to the specimen that pull through and look fine, those that still look weaker, and those that still look "dormant."

Could very well be a "landscaping trick." Or some other factor — do you have a north-facing house by any chance?
Thanks. Yes north facing but it's not the only one, so I don't think that's the case. I see many other houses facing north, and their palm trees survived just fine.

Somewhere I read that if you cut something on very top of the palm tree, you will damage it badly. I don't know if that's true.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:06 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,254,330 times
Sabals do well in the entire Houston metro area and Mexican fan palms (Washingtonian robusta/filibusta) do well in most parts of Houston. Houston is a solid zone 9a. I think sabals are zone 8a and the Mexican Fan are zone 8b. Fine for Houston. I would not permanently change long term landscaping because of one freak event. That said, we can and expect to get freezes down to our zone 9a range, and would not plant anything less hardy than that.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Sabals do well in the entire Houston metro area and Mexican fan palms (Washingtonian robusta/filibusta) do well in most parts of Houston. Houston is a solid zone 9a. I think sabals are zone 8a and the Mexican Fan are zone 8b. Fine for Houston. I would not permanently change long term landscaping because of one freak event. That said, we can and expect to get freezes down to our zone 9a range, and would not plant anything less hardy than that.

Well I feel foolish. Houston WAS a beautiful lush subtropical zone 9A. But with subsequent cold snaps, were a 8B at best. Houston will never look the same in my lifetime. Makes me sad.

Hope at least Ercot and the grid holds so people don't lose power and pipes.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:09 PM

I'm not planning to replant my palm trees. Initially they were one of the deciding factors for buying this house. Unfortunately they all died in 2021. In the end I got a good deal on the dead trees removal.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not planning to replant my palm trees. Initially they were one of the deciding factors for buying this house. Unfortunately they all died in 2021. In the end I got a good deal on the dead trees removal.
Yup. You and many countless others. Houston will never look the same anytime soon.

Sabals, sagos, & windmills still OK though. All zone 8....

Old 12-22-2022, 06:34 PM

What should we do with our defoliated palms to give best chance of revival? When temps increase well above freezing, say Tuesday or Wednesday is the recommendation to still remove dead fronds and apply fungicide at the crown? Should we wait a few days after warming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston