Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Running your sprinkler during Uri would have been a disaster. You might have caused car wrecks with all the ice you'd be forming around your house. There was enough ice as it was, no need to add more to the road.

Uri was a "perfect storm" that I doubt will happen again. Losing electricity for several days at below freezing temperatures is pretty unprecedented, definitely the first time it's happened to me since I've lived in Texas for 23 years. But if you really want to prevent it again I would shut off the water at your meter, then open all the outside spigots to drain them. Open all your faucets inside and turn your water heater down to pilot. This will ensure the water in your tank doesn't freeze, and no pressure in your pipes to freeze and burst. I would fill a bathtub first to provide water for flushing toilets and to possibly boil and use, if needed.
I've seen that unprecedented freeze 3 times in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 05:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Uri was a "perfect storm" that I doubt will happen again. Losing electricity for several days at below freezing temperatures is pretty unprecedented, definitely the first time it's happened to me since I've lived in Texas for 23 years. But if you really want to prevent it again I would shut off the water at your meter, then open all the outside spigots to drain them. Open all your faucets inside and turn your water heater down to pilot. This will ensure the water in your tank doesn't freeze, and no pressure in your pipes to freeze and burst. I would fill a bathtub first to provide water for flushing toilets and to possibly boil and use, if needed.
ve
--------------------------
I am afraid of my water heater ,why should I set it to pilot,cant I just leave it as is?
also what about my sprinkler pipes which are under my lawns?or are they too deep underground to freeze?

Old 09-27-2021, 05:26 PM

what happens to the water heater when we have no natural gas???????
what is the chance we will have no natural gas as well?
During Uri,this was the only resource we have,I was able to cook on my gas stove.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That’s a dumb idea lol, why not just put a gun to your head?

Why not use your brain, I am talking about warming it up with it off!

Old 09-27-2021, 07:01 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I've seen that unprecedented freeze 3 times in Texas.
But did you lose power for 2-3 days?

Old 09-27-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
The power was out because of the freeze, so these two things happening together again is certainly possible. They are related. Also, if you haven't been paying attention, our Governor and state legislature have failed to do anything to fix the grid during this legislative session. They are too busy outlawing abortion and ordering audits of the 2020 election. So if you're counting on the government to save you, you are going to be disappointed.
I lived in north Texas for many years and went through many freezes. We never lost power for more than a few hours. So sure, it's possible. Just unlikely we'll have another deep freeze without power for 2-3 days. The temperature in our house was 43 degrees. Has that ever happened before Uri, in your home? Unprecedented IMO, and most likely will never happen again.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:10 PM

During Uri,it is not that cold,but I heard a child freeze to death?
No Tv,no phone,no internet,no water ,no newspaper,only a transister radio and some candles..

Old 09-27-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am afraid of my water heater ,why should I set it to pilot,cant I just leave it as is?
also what about my sprinkler pipes which are under my lawns?or are they too deep underground to freeze?
If you aren't cutting off the water to your house, you can just leave your water heater as is. If you cut the water off to your house the level in your water heater can get low, and if you still have it turned up high it can boil and cause the tank to rupture. I lost a tank prematurely one time when we lost water and I didn't turn it down. Always turn your heater to pilot when your house has no water. Pilot is also warm enough to keep the water in your tank from freezing.

For your sprinklers, there's little to no pressure between the valves and the sprinkler heads so those pipes won't burst. You have pressure between the main and the valves, which is why you're supposed to cut the water off to your sprinkler system and drain the backflow valve. There are videos on YouTube that can show you how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIrdiVrooU

Old 09-27-2021, 09:11 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
I lived in north Texas for many years and went through many freezes. We never lost power for more than a few hours. So sure, it's possible. Just unlikely we'll have another deep freeze without power for 2-3 days. The temperature in our house was 43 degrees. Has that ever happened before Uri, in your home? Unprecedented IMO, and most likely will never happen again.
I'm not talking about what has happened before. I'm saying you can't assess based on the past. The climate is changing. But go ahead and think what you want, not my problem.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
If you aren't cutting off the water to your house, you can just leave your water heater as is. If you cut the water off to your house the level in your water heater can get low, and if you still have it turned up high it can boil and cause the tank to rupture. I lost a tank prematurely one time when we lost water and I didn't turn it down. Always turn your heater to pilot when your house has no water. Pilot is also warm enough to keep the water in your tank from freezing.

For your sprinklers, there's little to no pressure between the valves and the sprinkler heads so those pipes won't burst. You have pressure between the main and the valves, which is why you're supposed to cut the water off to your sprinkler system and drain the backflow valve. There are videos on YouTube that can show you how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIrdiVrooU
thank you,now I understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: