Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 07:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,571,053 times

Advertisements

During Uri,my copper water pipe in the attic burst and the plumber rerouted the pipe,then he replaced the copper pipe with the what you call it resin pipe.
He is in Florida now,do you think it is a good idea to call a plumber to take a look at all the pipes in the ceiling just to see if everything is in good order.
I have also bought some insulation pipe wrap,may be I should use them ,there are many pipes in the attic.
thanks in advance .
I can go without electricity,last time we have gas,but I cant afford another incident of pipe bursting and water raining down my garage or bedroom or kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 08:11 AM

158 posts, read 183,249 times
If you wrap the pipes, you should be good to go. If there are freezing temperatures, you can also run the water/let it drip. If it gets super cold and you don't think any of that will work, you can always turn off your main water supply, and then drain your lines (turn them on) to empty the pipes. Then the next day, you can turn your water back on

Old 11-11-2021, 01:24 PM

1,952 posts, read 838,110 times
Learn how to drain your pipes in the house and allow for expansion in the plumbing for the below-freezing temps.

I know this is a slight hassle...but it beats the alternative of possible burst pipes, but here is what I did and my pipes did not bust.

When I know temps are going to be well below 30 degrees for hours, before we go to bed that evening, I go out to the meter near the curb and shut off the water to the house.

Then, I go inside and open the faucets in our bathtubs and kitchen faucets and leave them open....letting them drain totally out. I also go outside and open both outside hose bibs and run them until they stop flowing then close them up.

The next morning, when temps get around 30 of above...I close up the faucets and go open the valve at the meter and check around for anything unusual.

This WILL involve everyone in your house, planning their bathroom activities before the water goes off and I suggest keeping water bottles around for drinking overnight.

If you do this, chances of you having a burst pipe are very low, as you drained almost all the water out of the pipes AND you left the faucets open to allow for expansion.

I also suggest you make plans for being without electricity for long periods and maybe buy a few collapsible 5 gallon water containers you can fill and leave in the bathtub overnight for flushing toilets.

Also plan on buying a propane stove and several canisters of propane for cooking. You can use your current pots and pans and make quite a few foods on those stoves.

Another thing that is cheap to stock are a few oil burning lamps. I have three Deitz oil lanterns that will burn lamp oil, kerosene or olive oil. These are about 25 bucks apiece and a gallon of lamp oil runs maybe 14 bucks. The Deitz lanterns give enough light to light up medium sized rooms and will run for 4-5 hours on one filling of oil. Save your battery run flashlights for other things.

Next, go to the thrift stores or Goodwill and buy some thick, cheap blankets and a few heavy coats. These will come in handy when it gets colder at night and time for bed. Store them in a plastic tote under the bed, so they are ready to go.

In these type of emergencies, you cannot count on the power grid or the govt and YOU must be your own first responder and learn to take care in case you are without power or water or food access for several days.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,571,053 times
thanks for all the advice,I would try that come winter,I have everything you mention except lanterns.
i would look for some lanterns ,I was using candles last time.
I have a JAPANESE portable burner made by Iwachu ,for stirfry,the meat tastes much better like the restaurant,it uses butane gas cartridge.
But should I STill call a plumber to have him go up to the attic and look around?does a plumber know how to do this?

Old 11-12-2021, 11:13 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,071,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
thanks for all the advice,I would try that come winter,I have everything you mention except lanterns.
i would look for some lanterns ,I was using candles last time.
I have a JAPANESE portable burner made by Iwachu ,for stirfry,the meat tastes much better like the restaurant,it uses butane gas cartridge.
But should I STill call a plumber to have him go up to the attic and look around?does a plumber know how to do this?
There are excellent LED camping lanterns now, I wouldn't resort to oil lamps of any sort.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:02 AM

The GOOD LED lanterns are expensive and still need expensive batteries to keep going for several days.

A good Deitz oil lamp or two are cheap. The Deitz lanterns I have run maybe 25 bucks on Amazon and a gallon of paraffin lamp oil is maybe 14 bucks. That gallon will last weeks, if you only run the lanterns after dark. The lanterns can also run on olive oil or kerosene if you run out.

I do keep several flashlights and LED lanterns around but use them sparingly. The Deitz lanterns light up a room enough for you and yours to eat and move around.

As far as a plumber goes, you might want to ask one to come out and show you how to turn off the water and drain the pipes before a hard freeze, as I suggested. Insulating the pipes IS a good idea, but mine were half way insulated and my system of draining and shutting off water worked this last go-round, so I see no need to go into my attic and spend the money.

Not sure about that Portable Japanese burner. I would buy a cheap camping propane gas stove and a fill-able container from a hardware store.

Something like this for 150 bucks and a propane tank or two and you are cooking anything imaginable for weeks...
https://www.amazon.com/Hike-Crew-Dou...988432&sr=8-14

Old 11-17-2021, 10:14 AM

455 posts, read 529,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
The GOOD LED lanterns are expensive and still need expensive batteries to keep going for several days.
Not at all: Goal Zero

You can charge this via USB, solar panel, and it even has a hand crank (supposedly 10 minutes charge for 1 minute of cranking). I have a multifunction flashlight from them with a built-in solar panel and it is great.

They sell solar panels for charging, or you can just purchase some USB chargers. Those are good to have around, anyway, to charge phones and whatever else if the power is out.

Anyway, not to shill some products here, but there are solid options out there that don't involve fuel.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
Not at all: Goal Zero

You can charge this via USB, solar panel, and it even has a hand crank (supposedly 10 minutes charge for 1 minute of cranking). I have a multifunction flashlight from them with a built-in solar panel and it is great.

They sell solar panels for charging, or you can just purchase some USB chargers. Those are good to have around, anyway, to charge phones and whatever else if the power is out.

Anyway, not to shill some products here, but there are solid options out there that don't involve fuel.

That looks cool, but I already have a larger inverter that has USB ports and I leave the inverter plugged in and charging at my house all the time. If the power goes out, I can charge several cell phones, tablets and run a small light if needed.

Still, I love the Deitz lantern for lighting up rooms at night when the power goes out. I used less than a gallon of paraffin lamp oil for the 5 days we were without power.

My flashlights are rechargeable Streamlight and Surefire lights and can be charged by car outlets or the inverter. I only use those for spot use and small run times.

Fuel is not a big deal, when your lantern burns several types and cheap paraffin oil that runs maybe 16 bucks a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston