Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 06:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s not stopping the consistently long lines there so what’s your point
There's only 3 suburban locations (west of I-45, outside BW-8) right now serving a market of 7 million people. The other Texas metros have restaurants all around their towns.

Also Houston is a very tough crowd to please. There are plenty of mom-and-pop strip mall burger joints with tastier burgers and a better value for the money. The In-N-Out sourdough buns are pretty tasteless and the crumb/texture doesn't resemble bread! It tastes and feels more like paper, similar to McDonald's chicken nuggets.

Not serving breakfast and limited options (notably the absence of coffee) is also hampering their appeal. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, and *Whataburger* have much broader options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 07:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
There's only 3 suburban locations (west of I-45, outside BW-8) right now serving a market of 7 million people. The other Texas metros have restaurants all around their towns.

Also Houston is a very tough crowd to please. There are plenty of mom-and-pop strip mall burger joints with tastier burgers and a better value for the money. The In-N-Out sourdough buns are pretty tasteless and the crumb/texture doesn't resemble bread! It tastes and feels more like paper, similar to McDonald's chicken nuggets.

Not serving breakfast and limited options (notably the absence of coffee) is also hampering their appeal. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, and *Whataburger* have much broader options!
Krispy Kreme was the rage when it first came to Houston. I agree that Houston is a tough market for restaurants.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:48 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

There’s a fourth one under construction and again, you can list every excuse you want with “being suburban” etc and those lines are In N out are still extremely long so it’s not changing anything. There will be a fifth sixth seventh and eighth location at some point. Other Texas cities having more is 1. Because they expanded there first and 2. Because they’re more west. And those two things are related to eachother. Brands expanding in the suburbs before getting into the city isn’t specific to Houston either. That’s common everywhere. It’s the easiest way to tap into any market. The things you mention about “better options in the city limits (which btw also isn’t specific to Houston)” may have some effect but the much bigger reason for the suburban entrances have to do with real estate and growth trends.

I’m getting elitism vibes here. Houston food is great but it’s not the only good food city in the states

Old 12-21-2021, 09:27 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,006 times
I've been to Tim Hortons in Canada. I may visit once or twice for novelty, but that's it. I went couple times to in-n-out too, again for novelty, but deferred back to my standard local burger joints.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,945 times
The burger market was pretty saturated in Houston when In and Out showed up.

The coffee market is equally saturated in Houston with Starbucks everywhere and lots of local independent offerings. Horton's would need to bring something different to the market to be a big hit.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I've been to Tim Hortons in Canada. I may visit once or twice for novelty, but that's it. I went couple times to in-n-out too, again for novelty, but deferred back to my standard local burger joints.
I'm not a Tim Horton's fan. I find their doughnuts to be air-filled dough. Sandwiches bland etc. We joke that Tim Horton's makes the food soft so older people can chew it. They aren't Canadian owned anymore, and some say since then the quality has suffered. Much better doughnut shops around.

As for In-N-Out Burgers, I've had a few over the years. The first time many years ago, I thought they were good. The last time, was my last time. Much better burger shops around.

It's so easy to fall back on chains, thinking you know what to expect, but seeking out smaller places ( which with the internet is easier to do ) can be very rewarding. They might be a bit more expensive, but are usually made by someone who cares what they are making, are healthier ( look at ingredient lists for some large chains ) and better tasting.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not a Tim Horton's fan. I find their doughnuts to be air-filled dough. Sandwiches bland etc. We joke that Tim Horton's makes the food soft so older people can chew it. They aren't Canadian owned anymore, and some say since then the quality has suffered. Much better doughnut shops around.

As for In-N-Out Burgers, I've had a few over the years. The first time many years ago, I thought they were good. The last time, was my last time. Much better burger shops around.

It's so easy to fall back on chains, thinking you know what to expect, but seeking out smaller places ( which with the internet is easier to do ) can be very rewarding. They might be a bit more expensive, but are usually made by someone who cares what they are making, are healthier ( look at ingredient lists for some large chains ) and better tasting.
The most exciting donut/coffee related news in Houston is still the flagship Shipley Donuts underway.

https://cloudfront-us-east-1.images....DALTLETIGM.jpg

I heard that some of the new franchises will have pastries shipped in rather than made on site. But that stores that currently make on site will continue to do so. That won’t reflect the flagship though because they have a manufacturing center on new site. And waiting to peak their new menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston