Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM

40 posts, read 213,574 times

Advertisements

I signed with a real estate agent (admittedly my cousin, due to family pressure) when I was looking for houses in Pearland. After being in Houston for about a month, I've decided I more inner loop. My agent has NO knowledge of inner loop at all and hasn't helped me in looking for places since I've switched locales. Is it possible to break the agent contract I signed with her because she doesn't know the area or locale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Since she is family, she probably will not pursue any action against you. I'm not 100% on this so I'll defer to any realtors but I believe that you are in the clear as long as you do not purchase a property through another realtor that she showed you during the term of your agreement.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 05-21-2008 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM

54 posts, read 228,809 times
Default No Family

One recommendation for realtors: DO NOT USE ANY FAMILY OR FRIENDS...wish someone would have told us this before!! We had similar situation, and bought a house that we weren't completely happy about. I am very bitter about it. Did I mention that it is my husband's family??

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 AM

128 posts, read 457,232 times
I would imagine if you were honest and upfront with your cousin she would understand and would probably disolve the contract. How much longer until it expires?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
You should be fine as long as you don't purchase a home she showed you .
You can tell her you want to terminate the contract because she doesn't know the area and if she gives you a problem, you can call her broker.
In reality, you don't have to do anything. She really has no recourse if you buy from another agent unless it is a property she showed you in the first place.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Skye is right on the money....to keep the peace in the family, ask her to refer you out to someone who knows the area. This way you will get the area expert and she will get a small referral fee! All will be good in the world again...Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikato View Post
I signed with a real estate agent (admittedly my cousin, due to family pressure) when I was looking for houses in Pearland. After being in Houston for about a month, I've decided I more inner loop. My agent has NO knowledge of inner loop at all and hasn't helped me in looking for places since I've switched locales. Is it possible to break the agent contract I signed with her because she doesn't know the area or locale?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:33 AM

58 posts, read 263,942 times
It might be that she can work with another agent and split the commission, so she still gets some benefit and you get what you want.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 PM

47 posts, read 262,652 times
Yes, Skye and Sunny are right, and a referral is a great way for your cousin to still get a piece of the pie.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 PM

637 posts, read 3,235,968 times
If the op's cousin has no knowledge of the Re market inside the loop chances are she also would have no clue on who to referr. This would make the situation even more difficult as they could end up with another unknowledgeable agent showing them around a different area. Best policy here IMO is honesty is the best policy. Why lie to the Cousin/agent just gently tell her that you are more interested in living inside the loop so you are going to pusure finding a good agent there who is real familiar for that area/market and if she decides to move to Pearland she will use the Cousin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston