Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 03:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 838,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Finally we agree
Everytime I saw they political adds I wondered "Do they offer absolutely anything for the average blue collar familiar?"

Well, this is an issue that affects ALL people that own property...not just a select few Bible thumpers.

Solve the big problems FIRST...then they can go after the silly social problems they think exists.

Both of these two main parties are flat out worthless.....the democrats would be no better on this, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 04:03 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,260,875 times
Property taxes were already RIDICULOUSLY HIGH in Texas!! They have the gall to sock people with 30% tax increases on top of crippling inflation? This really HURTS hardworking families and especially retirees. If the overall property valuation really goes up by 30% across the board, the rate should go down. To charge people 30% more taxes is just wrong.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:36 PM

15,659 posts, read 7,688,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Well, this is an issue that affects ALL people that own property...not just a select few Bible thumpers.

Solve the big problems FIRST...then they can go after the silly social problems they think exists.

Both of these two main parties are flat out worthless.....the democrats would be no better on this, really.
The Democrats would be better in that they would try for a combination of property and income taxes. I hear all these complaints about high property taxes for older people who have retired, but aren't yet 65. Imagine a tax that varies with your ability to pay it, ie goes up as income goes up, goes down as income goes down. The State is going to be in trouble when mineral extraction taxes drop a lot. This state cannot be funded on sales taxes alone. I have to laugh when I hear alleged conservatives say they want to help hard working Texans, and then say no to income taxes but want higher sales taxes if that's what it takes to fund the State. Patrick, Abbott, et al could not care less about poor Texans, their goal is to make themselves, and their supporters, rich at the expense of everyone else.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:30 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,402,417 times
Quote:
That’s a guess, since Republicans have had control of Texas government for several decades

Old 04-07-2022, 07:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,815,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Property taxes were already RIDICULOUSLY HIGH in Texas!! They have the gall to sock people with 30% tax increases on top of crippling inflation? This really HURTS hardworking families and especially retirees. If the overall property valuation really goes up by 30% across the board, the rate should go down. To charge people 30% more taxes is just wrong.
The revenue cap does effectively force the city to lower the tax rate when assessed values sharply increase, which softens the blow a bit.

In principle I much prefer property taxes to state income taxes. I'd rather be "punished" for electing to buy a bigger house than for working harder and contributing more to the economy. Yes, it's unfortunate that some get taxed out of their homes, but I'd take that outcome over a California-style system where incumbent owners are effectively heavily subsidized by recent arrivals.

Also, property values tend to be less volatile than incomes (not to mention harder to hide from the authorities), so property taxes provide a more stable revenue stream.

The worst aspect of high property taxes is the whole ugly, annual slog through the appraisal and protest process, which on some level seems like a massive waste of everyone's time. But I guess this would still be present in some form with a lower property tax rate.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That’s a guess, since Republicans have had control of Texas government for several decades

No, that is a fact.

On the national level, the democrats have been a disaster. I guess you missed the store shelves, grocery prices and the gas pumps lately....eh?

The two party tribalist system IS the problem.

We need more and better choices. The duopoly is not sustainable or working for the average people.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:28 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,071,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The revenue cap does effectively force the city to lower the tax rate when assessed values sharply increase, which softens the blow a bit.

In principle I much prefer property taxes to state income taxes. I'd rather be "punished" for electing to buy a bigger house than for working harder and contributing more to the economy. Yes, it's unfortunate that some get taxed out of their homes, but I'd take that outcome over a California-style system where incumbent owners are effectively heavily subsidized by recent arrivals.

Also, property values tend to be less volatile than incomes (not to mention harder to hide from the authorities), so property taxes provide a more stable revenue stream.

The worst aspect of high property taxes is the whole ugly, annual slog through the appraisal and protest process, which on some level seems like a massive waste of everyone's time. But I guess this would still be present in some form with a lower property tax rate.
This would make a lot of sense if there were actually a connection between working hard and earning a lot of money. But in fact, in certain professions and industries you can earn a lot of money, whereas in many others you cannot, no matter how hard you work (education, retail, policing, etc.). So in fact, the property tax (versus income tax) punishes hard-working people in many honorable professions.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
This would make a lot of sense if there were actually a connection between working hard and earning a lot of money. But in fact, in certain professions and industries you can earn a lot of money, whereas in many others you cannot, no matter how hard you work (education, retail, policing, etc.). So in fact, the property tax (versus income tax) punishes hard-working people in many honorable professions.

How about a flat tax on income with zero deductions and a cap on how high your annual appraisal can be raised?

Everyone pays the same percentage of their income in taxes and the county does not get to rapidly ramp up appraisals and price people out of their homes in one fell swoop.

Stop using our tax systems as a punishment and reward system for your party's voters. Pretty sure this is not something our founders EVER envisioned as a good plan for America.

It would be nice of our elected officials would work on things like this, instead of focusing on abortion, keeping men out of the ladies rooms and the endless give-away of money we do not have to countries that hate us.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:26 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,071,802 times
Quote:
How about a flat tax on income with zero deductions and a cap on how high your annual appraisal can be raised?

Everyone pays the same percentage of their income in taxes and the county does not get to rapidly ramp up appraisals and price people out of their homes in one fell swoop.

Stop using our tax systems as a punishment and reward system for your party's voters. Pretty sure this is not something our founders EVER envisioned as a good plan for America.

It would be nice of our elected officials would work on things like this, instead of focusing on abortion, keeping men out of the ladies rooms and the endless give-away of money we do not have to countries that hate us.
Stop the presses: I agree with you!

Old 04-07-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Stop the presses: I agree with you!

Did you know that in the beginning, Dan Patrick actually campaigned on placing a cap on annual homesteaded property appraisals?

As of today, he has done next to nothing to advance this and now he is the Lt Gov and certainly in a position of enough power to get this done...but nope.

The sad thing is....replacing ol Dan with anyone with a "D after their name will not move the needle and might also get us a state income tax on top of the status quo at our county appraisal offices.

There is literally no elected officials that we can count on to make serious reforms on property tax appraisal creep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston